Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter has been extremely frustrating. For a long while, (after the strong -AO in November), the globals did *not* have anything in the medium-long range for us...and they were correct.  Now more recently we've had some legitimate shots progged in the medium range, only to have that feeling drawing closer to the event that you're favorite team scored a game winning TD, only to have the call on the field reversed.

Either way, both of these outlooks (AO and NAO) continue to be 'not encouraging' going into the first 10 days of February.  Ugh -- if we're not going to have winter, let's just get this thing over with..

Is that nao graph trying to go negative in the wake of the current storm?  I get that it's expected to go positive down the road, but I remember reading that when it switches from pos to neg, or vice versa, that's when we have a better chance at a coastal.  I guess I'm just trying to find something that gives us hope for the possible Rodent Storm. 

Then again, considering all the ways that the energy can come out of the southwest this far out, might make my question pointless.

Is that nao graph trying to go negative in the wake of the current storm?  I get that it's expected to go positive down the road, but I remember reading that when it switches from pos to neg, or vice versa, that's when we have a better chance at a coastal.  I guess I'm just trying to find something that gives us hope for the possible Rodent Storm. 

Then again, considering all the ways that the energy can come out of the southwest this far out, might make my question pointless.

A -nao is there on monday. Not a perfect one but the mean height pattern definitely says don't hug the west track solutions. They are on the table but so is a favorable track. Everything hinges on how far south the ns vort digs. The strength will depend on how much interaction with the energy in the SW. IMO this one has decent potential for an area wide wsw. If the track ends up less than favorable we will likely get some frozen unless it whiffs south. Not seeing that yet. 

f144.gif

A -nao is there on monday. Not a perfect one but the mean height pattern definitely says don't hug the west track solutions. They are on the table but so is a favorable track. Everything hinges on how far south the ns vort digs. The strength will depend on how much interaction with the energy in the SW. IMO this one has decent potential for an area wide wsw. If the track ends up less than favorable we will likely get some frozen unless it whiffs south. Not seeing that yet. 

Looks very good, 1st gfs track was right.storm should go s outh of us. thanks bob

I am solely focused on feb 1-2 event on GFS.  Looking at 500 mb we have ridging over Greenland and a split PV trapped beneath the ridge in east canada.  Not going to sweat the surface map details at this point, but I would not punt the Feb 1-2 event with that blocky look.  In fact, that look has me rather bullish at this point. I imagine shortwave will dig more and would be less likely to cut on future runs if the GFS keeps a similar look over greenland and east canada.  Also, this is the medium range where the new GFS seems to get jumpy on the surface from run to run.

12z GGEM looks intriguing at 120... waiting for better maps

132 -- snowing (looks like a snow profile) at DCA... 1011 L in E OH (primary?) while there is a 1010 L (secondary?) in W GA

138 -- looks like barely snow at DCA, could be mixed bag...

Def different from last night's run, which had a LWX snowstorm

Day 8 to 10 of the 12z GGEM are... interesting re coastal low

192 -- 1015mb MSLP east of JAX

204 -- 1012mb MSLP east of SAV

216 -- 1009mb MSLP southeast off ILM

228 -- 1003mb MSLP east of ORF

240 -- finally moves NE and out to sea

ETA:  Precip finally makes it into DC metro at hr 216, 228 decent, but better for about BR and east... 240 as low pulls away everyone still gets some snow

Yes, wow at that look. Suppression looks like a bigger concern than a western cutter type

It's a really tough one to make any calls. Unfortunately it's another "complicated" evolution. I don't think suppression is much of a worry. If there is no stream interaction it could be 2 separate events with the juicier component missing south. I really don't know. Ensembles and ops are currently showing the kitchen sink. 

Day 8 to 10 of the 12z GGEM are... interesting re coastal low

192 -- 1015mb MSLP east of JAX

204 -- 1012mb MSLP east of SAV

216 -- 1009mb MSLP southeast off ILM

228 -- 1003mb MSLP east of ORF

240 -- finally moves NE and out to sea

ETA:  Precip finally makes it into DC metro at hr 216, 228 decent for about BR and east

Yes, GFS also sort of futzes about with a couple of coastal lows between 222-288.  I would have thought that one will be consolidated and one lost (if I was guessing, it will occur in the opposite order), but we'll see.

We don't want what the gfs and ggem ops are currently showing. Slp tracking into OH never works in these parts. 

GEFS mean is not bad, but clearly still has one low in the OH valley/Lakes.  Primary then takes over in VA.  Lots of potential here.

post-51-0-92797600-1422381438_thumb.png

post-51-0-48141600-1422381445_thumb.png

post-51-0-29547300-1422381455_thumb.png

We don't want what the gfs and ggem ops are currently showing. Slp tracking into OH never works in these parts.

Can't completely agree there. Depends on where you are. A low tracking into the eastern OV can produce good storms out here. Won't be all snow, but I don't care about that. Gotta have the cad though.

Dec 26, 2012 and Dec 8, 2013 are pretty good ex.

Archived