joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, it's not a disaster and we have stuff to watch in the mean time. We'll see how it looks down the road. It's really a beast of a +ao/nao combo. Massive consolidated vortex up there. This is d10-15 mean. Crazy.

attachicon.gif5day.JPG

so much of a beast, the CFS2 has us colder than normal for FEB too

usT2mMonInd1.gif

here's the 700mb map which depicts even better

glbz700MonInd1.gif

Warmish for some reason, and kind of weak, but not important. Good that it still has the storm.

Yeah, kind of weak looking and the 850 temps get a bit marginal, but surface is below freezing somehow.  As you said, at least something is there for now.

haven't seen the whole run yet, but 12z was an apps runner and all rain, so the shift is good

Actually the 12Z had 2-m temperatures below freezing throughout the event.  850 temps got above zero, so looks like it would be an ice type situation verbatim.  There was a low in the Lakes area and moisture streaming northward in the 12Z simulation, not really an apps runner but more like something tries to re-develop off the coast (at or north of us) later on.  Somehow, I guess it keeps us wedged in with near-surface cold air.

Nah, it's not a disaster and we have stuff to watch in the mean time. We'll see how it looks down the road. It's really a beast of a +ao/nao combo. Massive consolidated vortex up there. This is d10-15 mean. Crazy.

attachicon.gif5day.JPG

Whew, that is ugly looking in terms of the AO/NAO!  Somehow, we've got lower heights over us and the eastern quarter to third of the country.  Maybe because that bullseye of low heights over Greenland is so strong it extends down this way somewhat, plus there's just enough ridging to the west.  Don't like seeing low heights forming in the Gulf of Alaska, but maybe that's temporary, who knows.  Would be nice to have the western U.S. ridge a bit farther west.  Can't tell if the EPO remains negative (with generally +PNA), that's been the one stable thing this winter that's kept things somewhat interesting (I believe that was the case last year too?).

What in the heck does it take to raise heights enough over Greenland and push that vortex down closer to here or at least northeast Canada!

I'm kinda done getting invested in these minor events. At this point it's time for us to score a 6"+ or I'd rather it get warm and nice out.

That is the only way I am getting to my average. Yeah, would love to see a nice event, but I will take whatever. Maybe we get some true cold in and not have to sweat temps all the time. Now that would be great.

That is the only way I am getting to my average. Yeah, would love to see a nice event, but I will take whatever. Maybe we get some true cold in and not have to sweat temps all the time. Now that would be great.

ehh I guess for some its like a game and getting to avg matters. For me how I enjoy a winter has nothing to do with avg or how much snow actually falls. I grade on two factors. Significant events that are exciting and getting a period of some consistent snowcover. Could care less if I get to avg. I'll take a year where I get 20" from 2 storms and it stays cold and I keep snowcover for a few weeks over a year with 40" that fell 3" at a time and melted between storms.

ehh I guess for some its like a game and getting to avg matters. For me how I enjoy a winter has nothing to do with avg or how much snow actually falls. I grade on two factors. Significant events that are exciting and getting a period of some consistent snowcover. Could care less if I get to avg. I'll take a year where I get 20" from 2 storms and it stays cold and I keep snowcover for a few weeks over a year with 40" that fell 3" at a time and melted between storms.

Complete agreement with it remaining cold. That is why tonight is great. It is nicely frigid and the snow is blowing. Awesome.

I love what you described as much as any snow fan but I can't live in that box or I would be unhappy the vast majority of winters. In the last 20 years, this winter has been more "normal" to date than crappy. If it ends today it sucks ass but we're 1 good and 1 ok storm away front a totally acceptable season imo.

I love what you described as much as any snow fan but I can't live in that box or I would be unhappy the vast majority of winters. In the last 20 years, this winter has been more "normal" to date than crappy. If it ends today it sucks ass but we're 1 good and 1 ok storm away front a totally acceptable season imo.

Oh I totally agree. If we can pull off a 6-10" storm and maybe a 3-6" somewhere as well then this ends up a decent year. But it's put up or shut up time. If all we get is a few more 1-3 " events then this year is a dud to me. We will see.

Oh I totally agree. If we can pull off a 6-10" storm and maybe a 3-6" somewhere as well then this ends up a decent year. But it's put up or shut up time. If all we get is a few more 1-3 " events then this year is a dud to me. We will see.

Me too if that's how it shakes out. The year has been a TOTAL dud with blocking considering the expectations. If I don't get a 6" storm or don't hit at least 20" then it's a sub par year. No way to sugar coat that. It's at least avoided disaster status.

Archived