joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If feb 1 cuts it could set up the storm behind it. We have several stj waves to work with.

Eh, maybe so, but all too often around here we're "waiting for the cutter to set up the next good possibility for us."  Not trying to denigrate what you're saying, and there may be some truth to it, but it's a bit dangerous around here to hope for that (especially when the NAO is not cooperating).  As for the particular event, it is disappointing (on the GFS and Euro) to not see that big high sort of push down a bit more on the eastern side to keep the low from going too far north like some depictions had shown.  But, as has been said several times, there's awhile yet to go and I'm sure things will change back and forth in some manner.

This winter has been extremely frustrating. For a long while, (after the strong -AO in November), the globals did *not* have anything in the medium-long range for us...and they were correct.  Now more recently we've had some legitimate shots progged in the medium range, only to have that feeling drawing closer to the event that you're favorite team scored a game winning TD, only to have the call on the field reversed.

Either way, both of these outlooks (AO and NAO) continue to be 'not encouraging' going into the first 10 days of February.  Ugh -- if we're not going to have winter, let's just get this thing over with..

post-1263-0-31326200-1422372079_thumb.gi

post-1263-0-81151400-1422372086_thumb.gi

This winter has been extremely frustrating. For a long while, (after the strong -AO in November), the globals did *not* have anything in the medium-long range for us...and they were correct.  Now more recently we've had some legitimate shots progged in the medium range, only to have that feeling drawing closer to the event that you're favorite team scored a game winning TD, only to have the call on the field reversed.

Either way, both of these outlooks (AO and NAO) continue to be 'not encouraging' going into the first 10 days of February.  Ugh -- if we're not going to have winter, let's just get this thing over with..

This must be completely based on location in the area. IAD is running a bit *ahead* of season-to-date averages, while BWI is a couple of inches short. It's not been a great winter, sure, but for many, it's nowhere near a disaster. 

This must be completely based on location in the area. IAD is running a bit *ahead* of season-to-date averages, while BWI is a couple of inches short. It's not been a great winter, sure, but for many, it's nowhere near a disaster.

No, absolutely not a disaster. I'm up over 6" of snow for the season, which isn't far off the median through the end of January. It's all relative though -- coming off a great winter with the strong hints of an El Nino that wasn't. But you're right, this wasn't 2011-12. Still, in any winter, I'd like to see at least one 6-12"+ event. Wouldn't we all? :)

This is definitely true... I feel like this has been DC's year so far.  Those of us around BWI really have been getting the shaft... 

I have 7.3" in Dundalk.

I admit my 5.5 number is probably low because I tend not to measure dustings and we've had several of those around here... I'm probably closer to 6" in reality.  Still... BWI is at only 72% of its to-date average while IAD is at 102%.  I feel like in these weak events, there's been more of DC-IAD getting 3-4 while BWI gets 1-2.  Not a huge difference, but it seems like it sometimes.

I admit my 5.5 number is probably low because I tend not to measure dustings and we've had several of those around here... I'm probably closer to 6" in reality. Still... BWI is at only 72% of its to-date average while IAD is at 102%. I feel like in these weak events, there's been more of DC-IAD getting 3-4 while BWI gets 1-2. Not a huge difference, but it seems like it sometimes.

I have two 3" events though as well.

HM is bullish on twitter FWIW.  Given the seasonal trend toward easterly more deamplified solutions, I'm not overly concerned about progs showing a wound-up cutter at this point.

I was going to post the exact same thing......well, in weenie talk   :weenie:

anyway, I'm going with what the Canadians think of their atmosphere in 6 days  ;)

Archived