Toothache
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

weenies live for the moment Wes

Truth. 

I could see the favorable changed @ h5 pretty early with the gfs run. Around the 96 panel it was pretty obvious the ns vort was weaker and strong hp was nosing down into the dakotas. Then when sprawling hp showed up around the lakes @ 114 I knew it was going to be a good run. 96-114 isn't long range. But one run is nothing more than an idea. Long ways to go.  

This is still looking like our best window this winter with the neutral to -nao and a nice shortwave digging and picking up gulf moisture.  I sure hope the GFS is right about the look in Greenland and East Canada with the vortices trapped beneath the Greenland ridge - that might be just enough of a block to keep majority of the area all snow and the low from gaining too much latitude.

Total weenie run from the GFS, no rain in the next ten days and 12-20" of Snow in the area. New York and Boston get some Light Rain on Friday and we outdo both in snowfall. All looks well for now. Let's see how well the new GFS is against infEURiOr. But for real though we need to see more runs like this to buy snowy solutions.

This is still looking like our best window this winter with the neutral to -nao and a nice shortwave digging and picking up gulf moisture.  I sure hope the GFS is right about the look in Greenland and East Canada with the vortices trapped beneath the Greenland ridge - that might be just enough of a block to keep majority of the area all snow and the low from gaining too much latitude.

It's the window that many were honking or at least suggesting would be pretty favorable awhile back.  Now, let's see if we can produce something good out of it.  I just don't want to see the GFS go back to retracting the cold air look like it appeared to do over this past weekend, but instead hope it's keying in on what is a favorable time frame.

It's the window that many were honking or at least suggesting would be pretty favorable awhile back.  Now, let's see if we can produce something good out of it.  I just don't want to see the GFS go back to retracting the cold air look like it appeared to do over this past weekend, but instead hope it's keying in on what is a favorable time frame.

Yep GFS has pretty much been showing it in some form or fashion since it was about 384 hours out.

when they both fail I'm pulling this post back up and suing you for false advertising and intentional infliction of emotional weenie distress

That's just some funny stuff....thanks for the chuckle.  

If this Happy Hour run verfies...I'll ride my snowmobile down..pick you both up and take you to a bar for a drink!!  

I suggest you call it the "Happy Hour Storm".

Nut

If you liked the 18z gfs op run, do not look at 18z ensembles. Loaded up with midwest lows and n tracks. 

Are they all pretty much craptastic, or are there some good ones in there too?  Even the 12Z ensembles had some very nice looks in there, even though the ops run was bleah.  Don't like seeing the 18Z ops run as an outlier now in this kind of instance.

If you liked the 18z gfs op run, do not look at 18z ensembles. Loaded up with midwest lows and n tracks.

Three of those have lows that are in sw Minnesota and the lows originat in the Dakotas and Montana...not exactly a cutter. One is a whiff to the south. A few look like OV lows that could produce mixed events. At least a third give us a chance at accum snow. Not all that bad if you ask me.

I know you know this as well....timing is different, so we can't just look at one panel.

we're <120 hrs. from snow falling on the GFS and days before that when the players will have taken their place on the field that will ultimately determine the outcome, so gimme' the higher resolution operational any day

ensembles are for hope to avoid weenie suicides at this range, and we don't need hope with the operational

Three of those have lows that are in sw Minnesota and the lows originat in the Dakotas and Montana...not exactly a cutter. One is a whiff to the south. A few look like OV lows that could produce mixed events. At least a third give us a chance at accum snow. Not all that bad if you ask me.

I know you know this as well....timing is different, so we can't just look at one panel.

I'm only interested in a clean south track and hp to the north. There were 2-3 of those. .

The airmass is going to be stale by the time the storm approaches. Without fresh hp the cities are going to struggle bad. Your area holds longer with nw tracks but this one in particular is pretty bad for all areas with a nw track. No cad. 

The 18z mean was slightly better than 12z with hp to the north so that was an improvement but MSLP plots still show lp anomaly pushing into OH. We really need that to go away. 

Archived