• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

I can't see an app runner, with this set up...I don't post much but this just doesn't look right to me that low should be in central GA with dual 1032 H's in SD and just north of NY i don't see the 1027 H off the coast winning this battle I might be clueless but that's my opinion

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern is really good...I'm gonna go ahead and say we won't have a 984mb low over Scranton next Monday

I def admit I thought those H's in Canada wouldn't let the GFS bring an Apps runner, but I guess I was wrong.  Was there just not enough confluence and too much SE Ridge for this run?

ETA: I see Bob answered it already

How does a 1036 high at hour 120 not drive a wedge into the Carolinas at this time of the year. I think the pattern supports a winter storm. Not to mention look at the crazy qpf total.

I agree. The last 2 runs were a step in the right direction. Even with an unfavorable track, 1030+ hp is se Canada is a cad signal.

A strong storm like the gfs shows can definitely go west with lack of confluence in front of it. But a weaker storm would likely slide underneath. A trend towards losing the mw low has started. It's not a bad run even though the solution sucks. I feel better than I did with the 12z suite.

I agree. The last 2 runs were a step in the right direction. Even with an unfavorable track, 1030+ hp is se Canada is a cad signal.

A strong storm like the gfs shows can definitely go west with lack of confluence in front of it. But a weaker storm would likely slide underneath. A trend towards losing the mw low has started. It's not a bad run even though the solution sucks. I feel better than I did with the 12z suite.

we have been uncharacteristically wet for a weak NINO/+nada

BWI has had above normal precip every month since October, though NOV was barely AN

A little improvement in the ridge in the west and we have a very big storm on our hands.  We haven't seen this Greenland block setup all winter, and I'm still not convinced this verifies as an app runner.  I could see a miller B to Tenn transfer situation with this pattern, but that high over east canada is becoming a more consistent feature from run to run.  I'm convinced we are still in the game for a miller B snow to rain to dry slot, or a hybrid or miller A that gives us all snow.  The GFS looks mighty different with the vortex in southeast canada run to run, so it seems it's still trying to resolve the positioning and intensity of the block. 

2/25/07 had a much weaker high I believe and that turned into a great front end thump. Another example is 1/17/08 which was pretty good on the front end. That storm had a weaker high also. Both storms were expected to be rain 3 days out.  Hopefully the high will consistently show up.

A few days ago 2/13/03 was showing up on the Day 8 and day11 super ensembles. Seeing that high on tonight's run brought back good memories.

here is my take on what's going on as a lurker....at hour 108 low south of AK is breaking the +PNA which in turn allow the se ridge to gather strength so by 120 even with dual H in se Canada the ridge off atlantic is dominate....need a +PNA for this one  again just a lurker still learning keep the bashing to a minimum lol

I think the nino not getting stronger is what is making it very difficult. There's been no shortage of storms but nothing to lock in the cold. If the nino entered the low end moderate range things would be much better. Plenty time left for this storm to improve it just seems like it always an uphill climb.

I'm just chasing respectable totals at this pt. I'll wait to see this stretch but it's definitely feeling like even a low end warning level event imby might be tough. But I am just a pessimist. ;)

I think the nino not getting stronger is what is making it very difficult. There's been no shortage of storms but nothing to lock in the cold. If the nino entered the low end moderate range things would be much better. Plenty time left for th

Lis storm to improve it just seems like it always an uphill climb.

The KU was quite like jan 2005. Maybe not a classified Nino but plenty of Nino characteristics this winter.

we'll have a -NAO, a 50-50, a +PNA, a -EPO, a split flow...i realize we have a ridge off the east coast, and the storm running out ahead of the front...but I don't give a crap....Mind over matter....we're getting a storm...that's all there is to it....I've had enough of this bull-****.....were getting a snowstorm Monday....

we'll have a -NAO, a 50-50, a +PNA, a -EPO, a split flow...i realize we have a ridge off the east coast, and the storm running out ahead of the front...but I don't give a crap....Mind over matter....we're getting a storm...that's all there is to it....I've had enough of this bull-****.....were getting a snowstorm Monday....

hour 108 is the +pna breaking down?

on the gem

Archived