• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

As does pretty much everyone north of I80. So sick of the Boston fetish. They have a better snowstorm climo than just about everyone. They have less "winter" than most of this subforum. Its a totally different climate, totally different circumstances, its a dead horse thats been beaten over and over...it is what it is. Want to plan a trip there next January? You may have so much snow you cant get out of your hotel...or it may look like spring with not an ounce of snow around. No way to tell. Thats Bawstin. Cant think of any city Id like to see be on this HISTORIC month any less than them.

Not to get WAY OT with it...but since you asked..... :lol:

Its basically a 2-parter. Yes, the snow obsession thing with Boston has always annoyed me. Not talking about this year so much....any idiot who is not stuck in their bubble of "this is typical/average...in the 1970s blah blah blah" has to realize whats going on there is nothing short of historic...but since these boards have started (talking way back when there were NO subforums, it was all one) it struck me odd what I called the Boston fetish. They could get a 16" storm in Boston and thats all everyone would talk about....I mean....Buffalo could get buried under 5 feet of LES and it would get talked about for a few days, or any other number of east coast cities could get buried and it would get talked about for a few days...but Boston would get buried and then everyone was all over it for months.

Still, I always thought Boston would be a cool place to visit with all their historic sites and such - right up my alley! But about a year ago I met and became friends with someone who just moved to MI (from FL) whose job requires constant travel all around the country, with frequent stops in some of the big cities...and he is ALWAYS talking about how rude, pushy, and stuckup people are in Boston. I would have always thought it was NYC or LA, but he says hands down people in Boston are the WORST, and its a shame because the city itself is pretty sweet. Not saying there arent nice people there lol, there are nice people and douchebags EVERYWHERE, but I have no reason to doubt what he always says (and again, if anything he loves the city itself).

I just guess all those things combined just annoy me about Boston. :P

Well, you know, it is actually a common stereotype, and it's hard to deny that there are some people who probably fit that, though I'd say it's probably overblown.  There is a Youtube video where Jim Cantore interviewed a Boston resident shoveling out his driveway and reacting a bit.  They have a stereotypical name for rude people from Massachusetts (I'm not going to hash it out on here, though).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you know, it is actually a common stereotype, and it's hard to deny that there are some people who probably fit that, though I'd say it's probably overblown.  There is a Youtube video where Jim Cantore interviewed a Boston resident shoveling out his driveway and reacting a bit.  They have a stereotypical name for rude people from Massachusetts (I'm not going to hash it out on here, though).

I was a bit surprised by michsnowfreak's comment myself. I didn't expect that from him as a reason to hate Boston (although he did state this was his friend's opinion).

It's one thing to not like a city because of the crime, the lack of services, the blight or even the weather, but I must be blunt here. To label an entire city of people as rude, pushy and stuck-up is not only unfairly broadbrushing and writing off 600,000 different people in a region of 7 Million people, it reeks of ignorance and intolerance of the culture in other places.

This is especially because he and other Michigan folks would seriously be up in arms and ready to fight to the death if anyone dare said that about the folks in Michigan (except maybe those in Detroit proper).

I'm of the belief that there are good and bad people everywhere. Just because you or your family members/friends encountered a few bad apples doesn't mean the entire bunch is spoiled.

I was a bit surprised by michsnowfreak's comment myself. I didn't expect that from him as a reason to hate Boston (although he did state this was his friend's opinion).

It's one thing to not like a city because of the crime, the lack of services, the blight or even the weather, but I must be blunt here. To label an entire city of people as rude, pushy and stuck-up is not only unfairly broadbrushing and writing off 600,000 different people in a region of 7 Million people, it reeks of ignorance and intolerance of the culture in other places.

This is especially because he and other Michigan folks would seriously be up in arms and ready to fight to the death if anyone dare said that about the folks in Michigan (except maybe those in Detroit proper).

I'm of the belief that there are good and bad people everywhere. Just because you or your family members/friends encountered a few bad apples doesn't mean the entire bunch is spoiled.

I never even said I hate Boston...I said they annoy me. And I explained why. Though i do hate boston/new england sports teams lol. The friend thing was just added ammo to the boston annoyance, but from a strictly weather view I explained that as well (ie what i called the boston fetish). But I think Im about done talking about Bostons weather.

It doesnt matter where you live or what not...on a weather board...your area could be doing phenomenal but if there is ONE area doing better, there will be lots of jealousy (even if your doing better than 90% of everywhere else).

KFWA 141923Z 34022G31KT 1/4SM BLSN BKN015 BKN020 M11/M13 A2992 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 FUNNEL CLOUD E15 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 T11111133
KFWA 141916Z 32023G31KT 1/4SM BLSN BKN015 BKN020 M11/M14 A2992 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 FUNNEL CLOUD E15 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 PRESRR T11111139
KFWA 141909Z 32019G30KT 1/4SM FC BLSN BKN017 BKN026 OVC036 M11/M14 A2991 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 T11061144

Don't funnel clouds have to be manually entered? That's pretty funny

KFWA 141923Z 34022G31KT 1/4SM BLSN BKN015 BKN020 M11/M13 A2992 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 FUNNEL CLOUD E15 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 T11111133

KFWA 141916Z 32023G31KT 1/4SM BLSN BKN015 BKN020 M11/M14 A2992 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 FUNNEL CLOUD E15 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 PRESRR T11111139

KFWA 141909Z 32019G30KT 1/4SM FC BLSN BKN017 BKN026 OVC036 M11/M14 A2991 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 T11061144

Don't funnel clouds have to be manually entered? That's pretty funny

Idk about any funnel clouds with a temp that low lol.

Miss to the north and now a miss to the south....I'll bank on another miss to the north for next weekends storm...spring can't get here fast enough!

Screw zone for this winter is narrowing. Taking nominations right now for the biggest loser. With snow climo on its way down, I'll throw IND's hat into the ring. :D :(

Figure I should ask this here as well or instead

Just by way of curiosity for those of you that need to make 48 24 and 12hr in advance go/nogo decisions based on sfc temps with and without windchill what's your favored set of resources & your process for making the call

Screw zone for this winter is narrowing. Taking nominations right now for the biggest loser. With snow climo on its way down, I'll throw IND's hat into the ring. :D  :(

Thing is, if this cold pattern persists, it should increase the odds that IND could pull off something late season.

What an awful winter for IMBY.

there's definitely a screw zone that travels from Indy to CMH.    The funny thing about my sig, is that the 167% will probably end up verifying in that zone except for a donut hole right over central OH.   

I'm still keeping the sig line up until I GET MY 167% snow dammit.

Looks like more rain for us next weekend as the usual places to our north get blitzed with snow again. 

Miss to the north...and then a miss to the south...and then a miss to the north...

Awful. :(

Seems like the ECMWF is the only model showing rain and it's several days out.  Let's at least wait for more support. 

If Columbus manages to reach normal snowfall this season (and I really have my doubts), it looks to be from nickel and dimes. The absolute worst waste of all this cold. It reminds me of a December 2000 that has dragged on for 4 months.

Was just telling my girlfriend that very same thing. That this winter has seemed to just drag on. Probably fron lack of snow. I am sick of this winter, personally. I'd like one big snow but not if it's just gonna melt in a day.

Archived