• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Some areas to the south are getting dented, but west of here is looking extremely bleak.

Yeah that's probably the area to watch (north vs. south), in light of trends and the CPC outlook.  If you recall, the 2012 drought was pretty widespread but the epicenter was more in the Ohio Valley. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a widespread 2 to 4 inches of precipitation for most of the mid-South just last week. I'd say flooding is a bigger concern than drought right now, even if 90 day precipitation is still below normal.

For the Ohio Valley, I agree.  That's not going to help areas of the upper Midwest.

Drought coming folks.  This is how it starts.  Roger Smith dust bowl type summer on the way.  :devilsmiley:

attachicon.gif90dPNormUS.png

The upper midwest looks bad, but its so misleading here to look at that map here. You see all the orange and you think drought, yet the spring flood outlook highlighted higher than normal flood risk due to the water content snowpack. Precip was below normal but most of it what fell since Jan is still on the ground :lol: It looks like flooding will not be a concern as we have a second consecutive year of gradual and rain-free meltoff of the deep pack, but still, drought is far from a concern here.

Drought coming folks.  This is how it starts.  Roger Smith dust bowl type summer on the way.  :devilsmiley:

attachicon.gif90dPNormUS.png

lol. But seriously, regardless of existing snowpack, the next two months will make or break a possible drought situation. Normal rainfall in these areas? Nothing to worry about. Continues with below normal precip? It will be a hot dry summer.

FWIW, here are some composites of March-May precip in Nino Springs, which it appears we will have.  The first map is precip in Ninos of any strength (based on MAM trimonthy value in region 3.4) and the second is precip in weak Ninos (also based on MAM trimonthly value in region 3.4, regardless of value in preceding winter months)

post-14-0-62578800-1425837293_thumb.png

post-14-0-83472200-1425837299_thumb.png

Temperatures were generally not far from average in both of these (a little above or a little below depending on where you are). 

Important to remember that any given year can deviate significantly from a composite.

You posted your anomaly maps at the same time I made my post above. Based on those, we're doomed.

I'm partly kidding around with the doom and gloom talk.  But there's probably some reason to be concerned about drought potential especially in the upper Midwest areas that have been dry. 

Guest ovweather

I swear that somebody here or on a previous board once asked if the extra hour of daylight would hurt accumulations. They were not joking. :lmao:

That is funny but I wonder how many people out there actually do think we are gaining an extra hour of daylight?!

I personally wish daylight savings time would be abolished altogether, or at least go back to not turning the clocks ahead until the end of March. I enjoy the earlier sunsets and don't like it still being twilight at 10 pm in the summer.

That is funny but I wonder how many people out there actually do think we are gaining an extra hour of daylight?!

I personally wish daylight savings time would be abolished altogether, or at least go back to not turning the clocks ahead until the end of March. I enjoy the earlier sunsets and don't like it still being twilight at 10 pm in the summer.

agree

I love daylight savings time, I generally work in the evening, and I love the extra daylight at the end of the day. It doesn't bother me that the sun doesn't come up until 8 a.m. for a short period of time in March as I'm asleep until 10 a.m. most days. Having the extra hour of sunlight on my days offs are nice as I'm a nightowl anyway.

I would rather we have permanent daylight savings time, summer the sun goes down at 9ish and then in the winter the sun wouldn't go down until 6ish which would be nice for driving home from work in inclement weather.

I'm with you here. The only issue would be that the sun wouldn't come up until after 9 a.m. here for  a few weeks.

This is the first winter I can remember in my life of not having a winter storm warning (or heavy snow warning back in the day). Just added up my seasonal total and I got 35.5" which is 5-10" below normal depending what average you look at I guess. Ugh. Bring on next winter please lol. I enjoyed the torch today and went for a nice walk in my new hiking boots I got for Xmas, testing them in mud/snow/slush/ice/water, I was quite impressed with them overall.

This is the first winter I can remember in my life of not having a winter storm warning (or heavy snow warning back in the day). Just added up my seasonal total and I got 35.5" which is 5-10" below normal depending what average you look at I guess. Ugh. Bring on next winter please lol. I enjoyed the torch today and went for a nice walk in my new hiking boots I got for Xmas, testing them in mud/snow/slush/ice/water, I was quite impressed with them overall.

Let's get this straight. There's no way in hell your location averages 40" per year. It's probably around 48-54" IMO. I've heard this a few times from you this season. The ONLY spot that May average around 40" is Monroe.

Let's get this straight. There's no way in hell your location averages 40" per year. It's probably around 48-54" IMO. I've heard this a few times from you this season. The ONLY spot that May average around 40" is Monroe.

In support of smoof ... I had a roommate in college who was also a weather guru like us that grew up n Midland.  He constantly told me that area is a massive snow hole.  They get very little lake effect and the bigger snowstorms were always north or south of him.  He called Midland a complete weather hell for those who love storms (snow and thunder).  He said Houghton MI (MTU) got better thunderstorms than Midland.

He said Houghton MI (MTU) got better thunderstorms than Midland.

The placement of MTU in the middle of the peninsula was great for watching distant storms on Superior. You could catch the breeze off the Portage with no rain, and lookout miles into the lake and see a hell-of-a light show; even better if you lived on a higher floor on the Portage side of Wadsworth.

In support of smoof ... I had a roommate in college who was also a weather guru like us that grew up n Midland.  He constantly told me that area is a massive snow hole.  They get very little lake effect and the bigger snowstorms were always north or south of him.  He called Midland a complete weather hell for those who love storms (snow and thunder).  He said Houghton MI (MTU) got better thunderstorms than Midland.

Yeah I live in between Midland and Mount Pleasant (10 miles north of each), I'm lucky to get 6-8" total lake effect per year here. It's also been 7 years since I had a snowstorm over 10". I had several 7-9" ones in that timeframe but just can't break the 10" barrier anymore. The thunderstorms usually suck here too because they always seem to form right overhead or just 20 miles west of here and aren't very mature when they come through. I've been living in this same area for 30 years now so I know it's weather tendencies very well. I actually began my serious weather nerd journey after I was almost hit by lightning in 1996, there was a thunderstorm 5 miles away or so and all of a sudden my legs started tingling up to my knees, a second or 2 later ZAP lightning hit right behind me somewhere close I could feel a warm burst of wind on my back from it even!

The placement of MTU in the middle of the peninsula was great for watching distant storms on Superior. You could catch the breeze off the Portage with no rain, and lookout miles into the lake and see a hell-of-a light show; even better if you lived on a higher floor on the Portage side of Wadsworth.

Tstorms are definitely fun to watch off Lake Superior.  Love to watch them come in shore at the breakers!

Yeah I live in between Midland and Mount Pleasant (10 miles north of each), I'm lucky to get 6-8" total lake effect per year here. It's also been 7 years since I had a snowstorm over 10". I had several 7-9" ones in that timeframe but just can't break the 10" barrier anymore. The thunderstorms usually suck here too because they always seem to form right overhead or just 20 miles west of here and aren't very mature when they come through. I've been living in this same area for 30 years now so I know it's weather tendencies very well. I actually began my serious weather nerd journey after I was almost hit by lightning in 1996, there was a thunderstorm 5 miles away or so and all of a sudden my legs started tingling up to my knees, a second or 2 later ZAP lightning hit right behind me somewhere close I could feel a warm burst of wind on my back from it even!

Your area is suffering with Alpena in regards to the big snowstorm recently too.

Yeah I have found it much better to enjoy the storms near Bay City and Saginaw to the thumb area from my chasing experience.

:lol: that is one year after my lightning strike experience on July 1995!  :lightning: Nothing like smelling, tasting and feeling it.  Nothing more in the weather do a very close lightning strike but that was close enough for me!!

There is a bit of a snow hole near Mount Pleasant, especially since they are in an area of downsloping from the West. There were more years than not where they didn't hit 40" when I was there at school while either up north or down state were getting crushed.

Your area is suffering with Alpena in regards to the big snowstorm recently too.

Yeah I have found it much better to enjoy the storms near Bay City and Saginaw to the thumb area from my chasing experience.

:lol: that is one year after my lightning strike experience on July 1995!  :lightning: Nothing like smelling, tasting and feeling it.  Nothing more in the weather do a very close lightning strike but that was close enough for me!!

Yep, I always watch the tstorms form over me and strengthen as they head to the Bay City or thumb area lol. One thing that is very irritating about where I live is the APX CWA starts 3 miles north of me, and the GRR CWA starts 5 miles west of me, and I'm right in the very NW corner of the DTX CWA, so all the offices put out crappy forecasts for me being on their very edges, I usually have to read all of their AFD's to see what's going on lol.

Archived