joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day's like today are the worst with virga / clouds here and a nice band of snow is just to the south.  While I know it will not be anything major but even sunshine would have been better than virga on a Saturday!!!  I know I can't get them all but I just loathe virga!!!  Rant over...

Virga's not so bad. Focus on the radar, don't look out the window, and you can pretend...

As lackluster as it is here (compared to farther north), you don't have to go too far south of here to really run into bad winter climo. 

from Laf south I'd  live if my focus was mainly on being a thunderstorm/rain/heat type of weather nut.

from Indy/Laf north to CHI/Milwaukee and over to Det, is a good mix of all seasons.... north of there, severe weather basically sux... IMO

from Laf south I'd  live if my focus was mainly on being a thunderstorm/rain/heat type of weather nut.

from Indy/Laf north to CHI/Milwaukee and over to Det, is a good mix of all seasons.... north of there, severe weather basically sux... IMO

Basically agree.  I've posted maps before showing thunderstorm days/severe reports and average snowfall and that zone you mentioned has a good balance.

LR for next weekend is looking wetter vs. whiter for our neck of the woods.   I can't decide how I feel about that.  Depends on the minute you ask me.   I suspect by the end of next week, as March 1 shows itself, I will be welcoming rain moreso than snow.    This winter started full throttle 4 months ago....a 70 degree day, birds chirping, and forsythia blooming would be heaven right now.

The main problem I have with Detroit in the summer are the numerous cloudy days, between being down wind of the lakes (stratocumulus issues in the wake of cold fronts) and, due to its longitude, typically being in the cloud bearing region of the heat ridges (the region where the upper jet rounds the top of the heat ridge and dives SE).

It's not as bad in Chicago, Indy/LAF and Milwaukee because they're SW of the lakes and tend to be closer to the center of the heat ridges, which keeps the cloud debris in those regions at relative bay. 

This winter has felt exceptionally long because of all the boring down time between storms.  We were fortunate to get a significant clipper in early January and also the first big, juiced-up storm in four years (superbowl), but other than those two events and the solid mid November system, there has been nothing at all.

Trying to remember if there were any "good", all night long, backbuilding, noc jet thumps in the region. For some reason, a Des Moines train rings a bell at some point....just banter as my mind is drifting rapidly to spring/summer...

And best wishes to schaumburgstorm on his recovery

Thanks!

Unfortunately my accident has put me into full blown "torch" mode. I am housebound with a few broken ribs, several broken vertebrae, and a shattered right humerus; so even the most minor snow is a real problem when it comes to me doing simple things such as grabbing the mail.

My wife doesn't like to use the snowblower, so as a normally full blown snow weenie, I am finding that I am rooting hard for Morch.

Archived