joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With today's storm, my winter grade has moved up into the B- range and won't drop below that even if we don't see another flake the rest of the way.

Sounds about right. Two 6"+ storms in a season and a really cold February is pretty good. 1/31-2/2 still stings though.

Sounds about right. Two 6"+ storms in a season and a really cold February is pretty good. 1/31-2/2 still stings though.

Not for me.  :snowing:

And as I've mentioned before, I only grade based on what happens here and misses don't factor in...otherwise, where do you draw the line?  Would I penalize for missing the storm that recently hit the deep south?  Or what about the one that dumped on Kentucky not that long ago.    

And as I've mentioned before, I only grade based on what happens here and misses don't factor in...otherwise, where do you draw the line?  Would I penalize for missing the storm that recently hit the deep south?  Or what about the one that dumped on Kentucky not that long ago.    

No, I'm not counting "misses" that hit the deep south...as part of my grade for MBY. :lol:

We (or me) were involved in the SB storm, and it kinda sucked here compared to what was modeled...and ended up being just to the north. That gets a bad grade in my book. It is what it is. Still, another pretty good season in the LAF. I'm pretty pleased. :)

You and I are so often on the same page.

I NEVER factor whats going on elsewhere (or how the models perform) in my grade. What the hell for? Plus if you do that you have to give yourself bonus points if you did well in a certain event others missed out on.

I give this winter a final grade of a solid A.  Anything from here on out won't change it either way, unless we somehow landed another big dog in late March or April, which is unlikely.  The only thing keeping it from an A+ is the long dull periods for weeks at a time when there wasn't a thing to track.  Even the cold this winter was very impressive, which is saying something after how cold last winter was.

Winter gets a solid C from me...

Negatives were a snowless December, another brown Christmas, long stretches of nothing to track, and one or two arctic intrusions too many.

Positives were The February 1st big dog and persistent snow cover in February.

This grade could jump to a B if we can cash in on a warning level snow in March.

Winter gets a solid C from me...

Negatives were a snowless December, another brown Christmas, long stretches of nothing to track, and one or two arctic intrusions too many.

Positives were The February 1st big dog and persistent snow cover in February.

This grade could jump to a B if we can cash in on a warning level snow in March.

This sums it up nicely for me.. To even have to think of freezing rain or rain after all the brutal cold and misses is playing a role for me though.

I can't go above B for this winter.  We got hit good by the Superbowl storm and two potent clippers, but that's pretty much all we got.  There were long dry periods and our snowfall is still a little below normal.  Also, unlike last winter, we never got into any real heavy snowfall rates this winter.  The cold was interesting, but cold and dry gets old pretty quickly.

This sums it up nicely for me.. To even have to think of freezing rain or rain after all the brutal cold and misses is playing a role for me though.

Yeah it feels like we deserve a good snow after suffering through a stretch of cold and boring. Rain/freezing rain is sort of a kick in the nuts. Would prefer to some real spring warmth instead.

I can't go above B for this winter.  We got hit good by the Superbowl storm and two potent clippers, but that's pretty much all we got.  There were long dry periods and our snowfall is still a little below normal.  Also, unlike last winter, we never got into any real heavy snowfall rates this winter.  The cold was interesting, but cold and dry gets old pretty quickly.

What if you get three six inch snow in March and a 8 inch snow April 10?

Winter gets an A- from me and there is very little chance it changes.

No chance it goes any lower and the only way it goes higher is if we get a major snowstorm in Mar/Apr, in which case it could go to an A. I could get a 7 foot snowstorm and still couldnt give it an A+ because of December, but other than that I have had constant snowcover, frequent snowfall, a big dog, yet ANOTHER year of above normal snowfall, and a 2nd year in a row with epic Feb snowpack. (Last year was an A+++ lol). Pretty neat to see one of the coldest months weve ever seen on record as well.

If you put me in a time machine a few years ago to Feb 2015 I would have been like WOW I have never seen a deep snowpack last so long but after 2013-14 I guess Im used to it :P

I give this winter a B. It could go to a B+ if we get a Big Dog storm in March. The reason I can't give it an A is because of the mild, green Christmas/New Years period and the relative lack of snow in January. The December 11th storm as well as February saved this winter for me. We had a good storm on February 2nd and historic cold which made for fantastic photo opportunities at Niagara Falls.

Archived