• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

While of course any big storm would affect my winter grade, I think it has been at least 20 years since we had even one six inch March snowstorm.

Wow, we've had 3 here in the tropics of Indiana since March 2013.  Granted that's not exactly typical. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grade for this winter is dropping as currently it is down to a B-

Significant snows to my south for 2 weeks and now I am going to get RAIN here and go right back to snowstorm to my south. 

Only saving grace has been the multiple penny & nickle snows here to keep things nicely refreshed here nearly daily.

I am sick of crappy Marches.  Before going to Boyne last week the pattern change going into March was looking to be a real end game March madness ending for the southern MI (while not all snow it was looking quite stormy with several inches of snow in the mix).  Once I got back it now looks like one big POS (at least though the first half for MBY).  :thumbsdown:

If this March does become a POS that would mean Dec & March would be solid F grades and it will be hard to give this winter much above a C+ with 2 Fs.  I honestly was liking this winter until this past weekend (even with a crap December) but a back loaded winter that ends up with a crappy March :yikes::banned:

Significant snows to my south for 2 weeks and now I am going to get RAIN here and go right back to snowstorm to my south. 

Only saving grace has been the multiple penny & nickle snows here to keep things nicely refreshed here nearly daily.

I am sick of crappy Marches.  Before going to Boyne last week the pattern change going into March was looking to be a real end game March madness ending for the southern MI (while not all snow it was looking quite stormy with several inches of snow in the mix).  Once I got back it now looks like one big POS (at least though the first half for MBY).  :thumbsdown:

If this March does become a POS that would mean Dec & March would be solid F grades and it will be hard to give this winter much above a C+ with 2 Fs.  I honestly was liking this winter until this past weekend (even with a crap December) but a back loaded winter that ends up with a crappy March :yikes::banned:

Has there been a single gulf low locked and loaded with moisture (regardless of the p-type) the entire fall/winter? If there was, I can't remember it.

Has there been a single gulf low locked and loaded with moisture (regardless of the p-type) the entire fall/winter? If there was, I can't remember it.

For us in the GLs there has been only 2 that I can recall and they were both RAIN makers for the 95% of this forum: Nov 23-25 storm and the Christmas Eve Grinch storm.

You mean a wound up/negative tilt deepening sub-1000mb or sub-990mb storm that cuts NNE/NE over Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit and dumps over Northern Lower MI or MSP?

No, unless you count the crap on Christmas (and obviously we're going to count the western UP/Northern MN stuff from November).

I'm surprised by your response...:P

I know you're into a lot of winter weather activities and never made a big deal about the lack of big storms, so like michsnowfrak, I thought this winter would be right up your alley with the deep snow on the ground, lack of thaws and numerous nickel and dime events.

There are certainly quite a bit of surprises for me this morning...:lol:

I'm surprised by your response... :P

I know you're into a lot of winter weather activities and never made a big deal about the lack of big storms, so like michsnowfrak, I thought this winter would be right up your alley with the deep snow on the ground, lack of thaws and numerous nickel and dime events.

There are certainly quite a bit of surprises for me this morning... :lol:

Ah ... just getting tired of crap Marches I guess and wanted to vent ... I know  :violin: 

But this is where I go to vent  :pimp: 

I honestly have very much enjoyed Jan & Feb while Jan was not an A month I definitely have seen a lot worse January's and Feb was another spectacular A+ February.  We all know Dec was one massive F-

I was really expecting this to be a back loaded winter with March being an actively stormy month.  Right now the first 15-20 days look like a POS.  To see all the models show quite an active March a week ago and now they are :sleepy: ... I am just bit :banned::axe:  the past couple days about it.

Yes I am more like Josh and love the continuous snow cover (this winter has been very good in that regards) and I do enjoy Nickle/Dime storms (i.e. clippers/maulers).   I will take them.  HOWEVER getting Penny/Nickle by a storm that JUST to my SOUTH is getting walloped with 8-12" admittedly begins to grind on me (I am a weather guru and want it IMBY).  I really don't mind others getting snow too but when every single one is missing our area in the past couple weeks I do get a bit :yikes:<_<

C'est la vie  :D

Ah ... just getting tired of crap Marches I guess and wanted to vent ... I know  :violin:

But this is where I go to vent  :pimp:

I honestly have very much enjoyed Jan & Feb while Jan was not an A month I definitely have seen a lot worse January's and Feb was another spectacular A+ February.  We all know Dec was one massive F-

I was really expecting this to be a back loaded winter with March being an actively stormy month.  Right now the first 15-20 days look like a POS.  To see all the models show quite an active March a week ago and now they are :sleepy: ... I am just bit :banned::axe:  the past couple days about it.

Yes I am more like Josh and love the continuous snow cover (this winter has been very good in that regards) and I do enjoy Nickle/Dime storms (i.e. clippers/maulers).   I will take them.  HOWEVER getting Penny/Nickle by a storm that JUST to my SOUTH is getting walloped with 8-12" admittedly begins to grind on me (I am a weather guru and want it IMBY).  I really don't mind others getting snow too but when every single one is missing our area in the past couple weeks I do get a bit :yikes:<_<

C'est la vie  :D

Totally agree. Even with a great snowpack it's irritating to watch storms go south of you all winter only to have the first one that has a shot go north of you.

I am sick of crappy Marches. Before going to Boyne last week the pattern change going into March was looking to be a real end game March madness ending for the southern MI (while not all snow it was looking quite stormy with several inches of snow in the mix). Once I got back it now looks like one big POS (at least though the first half for MBY). :thumbsdown:

If this March does become a POS that would mean Dec & March would be solid F grades and it will be hard to give this winter much above a C+ with 2 Fs. I honestly was liking this winter until this past weekend (even with a crap December) but a back loaded winter that ends up with a crappy March :yikes::banned:

March opening with a near epic snowpack = no way this March gets an F. December was an F which is what brought the winter grade to A- rather than A

Charlottetown, PEI is at 384.6cm (151.4") for the Winter season. It recorded an astounding 222.8cm (87.7") in February alone. :lmao: It averages 115" for the season, so way above normal. 

Moncton, NB has recorded 388.5cm ( 152.9") for the Winter season. Just incredible numbers. It averages 128". 

March opening with a near epic snowpack = no way this March gets an F. December was an F which is what brought the winter grade to A- rather than A

Nothing epic here as my area normally has a decent snow pack going into March. A bit above normal sure but not epic. Had this event been/added a good warning criteria event then I would totally agree. We shall see how this month goes but March is when I really care more about getting storms than just snow cover. Don't get me wrong as I am enjoying the snow I have on the ground. Just ready to get into some bigger storm action which was one of my March expectations.

Nothing epic here as my area normally has a decent snow pack going into March. A bit above normal sure but not epic. Had this event been/added a good warning criteria event then I would totally agree. We shall see how this month goes but March is when I really care more about getting storms than just snow cover. Don't get me wrong as I am enjoying the snow I have on the ground. Just ready to get into some bigger storm action which was one of my March expectations.

for March a foot on the ground is spectacular. If it was 6-8" or less thats one thing,.but before last year I never remember more than 10" on the ground in March. Last year we were as high as 16" this year 12" so far in March. And its not like a fresh foot....its the kind of snow you see up north in late winter..dense!

for March a foot on the ground is spectacular. If it was 6-8" or less thats one thing,.but before last year I never remember more than 10" on the ground in March. Last year we were as high as 16" this year 12" so far in March. And its not like a fresh foot....its the kind of snow you see up north in late winter..dense!

Keep in mind that I am in this thread to vent and venting voids any and all reality. :lol:

In the end it is just my expectations/wants for this March are not going to happen at least in the first 2/3rds of the month ... maybe we can get something at the end but by then my snow pack will have taken a huge hit. I think you understand what I am saying.

Keep in mind that I am in this thread to vent and venting voids any and all reality. :lol:

In the end it is just my expectations/wants for this March are not going to happen at least in the first 2/3rds of the month ... maybe we can get something at the end but by then my snow pack will have taken a huge hit. I think you understand what I am saying.

your snowpack will likely be gone

oh I totally understand. I take this as a venting OR banter thread.

Honestly in a perfect world it would be a lot better to have 14" snowpack on Dec 25 & grass on Mar 3 but this isnt a perfect world :lmao:

Wow you grade on a nice curve.  December F, January A? (eh...really?), February A (I'll give this one to you) = A-     

I could have used this kind of a curve in college.  :)

Wow you grade on a nice curve.  December F, January A? (eh...really?), February A (I'll give this one to you) = A-     

lol. Grades are all in good fun of course. But basically...Feb would be greater than an A+ if that was possible. Again, Im grading on what I like. March is destined to be at least an A based on the snowpack we will be enjoying the first 2 weeks

Id give

Nov- A

Dec- F

Jan- B+

Feb- A+

Mar- est A

Winter overall: A-. No way can I give a winter like this with the duration of deep snowpack we have had a B or lower. It pales in comparison to the snowpack we had last year but is better than anything else Id seen (Jan 1999 briefly got deeper but wasnt lasting).

Joking aside, I generally grade on a "what happened" basis rather than amonth by month basis. Cold, snowfall, snowstorms, and snowcover weigh into it (snowcover and frequency of snowfall have more weight than cold or heavyness of snowstorms).

Up by me January was decent here.  We started with 1/2" ice storm that lasted on the trees for several days.   We ended up a bit on plus side of average snowfall with snow cover on the playable side most of the month.  We were able ice skate and sled starting the 2nd weekend.   Maybe not ideal but far from from some of the bad ones and awesome compared to December :lol:

oh I totally understand. I take this as a venting OR banter thread.

Honestly in a perfect world it would be a lot better to have 14" snowpack on Dec 25 & grass on Mar 3 but this isnt a perfect world :lmao:

Today was a bit better in than expected so my soar grapes have ripened up a bit  :P

Up by me January was decent here.  We started with 1/2" ice storm that lasted on the trees for several days.   We ended up a bit on plus side of average snowfall with snow cover on the playable side most of the month.  We were able ice skate and sled starting the 2nd weekend.   Maybe not ideal but far from from some of the bad ones and awesome compared to December :lol:

January had solid snowcover and frequent snowfall from Jan 4th on. No big storms was the only "downer" of January. After a grass-filled December we laid down a snowcover the afternoon of January 4th and havent looked back since.

lol. Grades are all in good fun of course. But basically...Feb would be greater than an A+ if that was possible. Again, Im grading on what I like. March is destined to be at least an A based on the snowpack we will be enjoying the first 2 weeks

Id give

Nov- A

Dec- F

Jan- B+

Feb- A+

Mar- est A

Winter overall: A-. No way can I give a winter like this with the duration of deep snowpack we have had a B or lower. It pales in comparison to the snowpack we had last year but is better than anything else Id seen (Jan 1999 briefly got deeper but wasnt lasting).

Joking aside, I generally grade on a "what happened" basis rather than amonth by month basis. Cold, snowfall, snowstorms, and snowcover weigh into it (snowcover and frequency of snowfall have more weight than cold or heavyness of snowstorms).

Hey different strokes. glad you enjoyed your winter.

Id give

Nov- A

Dec- F

Jan- B+

Feb- A+

Mar- est A

Grades are subjective. And so are assessments of the grader. In that vein...you grade too liberally. :)

Grades are subjective. And so are assessments of the grader. In that vein...you grade too liberally. :)

Meh...

snowfall - above normal

snowcover - above normal

depth of snow - way above normal

temps - way below normal outside Dec

snowstorm- biggest storm of my life

coldest month of my life

I dont think thats too liberal to give that winter an A-. You have known me for many years and you always know year in and year out I say snowcover is the heaviest weight of my winter grade.

Theoretically lets say this winter featured two big snowstorms (lets say 16.5" and an 11") which left snowfall a bit above normal, a crippling ice storm, and an unusual early  winter severe wx outbreak...but roller coaster temps averaged to near normal and no snowcover was sustained for any unusual length of time. That winter would certainly garner a lower grade from me than the present (the storm-only-nothing-else-matters crowd would be ALL over that type of winter).

Archived