joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed from a few days ago Boston destroyed their all time monthly record for snow, the original record was 43.3" in January of 2005, currently they sit at 58.5" for the month. If you want to go with a total since January 24th, they are sitting at 90.2" since January 24th. I don't think anyone would say they wouldn't want to experience that type of snowfall in their lifetime.

If I was to add my winter complaint her, it would be too many clippers and not enough sw storms moving up towards the ne. (Texas hookers etc.) I'm sure the pattern will change but probably not soon enough. lol

My only complaint here is December. Other than that Nov, Jan, and Feb have been excellent (well..I would call January "good" and February "superb" for an average of "excellent" :lol:)

I like seeing that dense ice between Isle Royale and the mainland. With any luck, the wolf situation could improve with a long duration ice bridge.

seriously? There's plenty of wolves here.  I've had them in my yard.  Bring on the hunt again. They're decimating the deer population in the N UP where they're already struggling due to cold and recent deep winter snow as it is.

I don't  agree that people in the LP should decide on the UP laws.  It really is a different state.

seriously? There's plenty of wolves here.  I've had them in my yard.  Bring on the hunt again. They're decimating the deer population in the N UP where they're already struggling due to cold and recent deep winter snow as it is.

I don't  agree that people in the LP should decide on the UP laws.  It really is a different state.

Yeah since being protected the wolf population has started to skyrocket with it being on the top of the food chain. The cold plus the wolves have really hurt the UP's deer population. I am hoping the wolves stay up in the UP though and don't cross into Northern Lower.

Yeah since being protected the wolf population has started to skyrocket with it being on the top of the food chain. The cold plus the wolves have really hurt the UP's deer population. I am hoping the wolves stay up in the UP though and don't cross into Northern Lower.

I read a recent study, I don't have the link, but it basically states that the LP doesn't have the environment  to sustain a wolf population. pretty much due to lack of woods and poaching..

I read a recent study, I don't have the link, but it basically states that the LP doesn't have the environment  to sustain a wolf population. pretty much due to lack of woods and poaching..

I'd agree for US-10 south, but north of that line there is some large forests including the Huron National Forest east of I-75. Poaching though I could see especially if the wolves were encroaching upon farms and livestock.

I'd agree for US-10 south, but north of that line there is some large forests including the Huron National Forest east of I-75. Poaching though I could see especially if the wolves were encroaching upon farms and livestock.

There was an article on the DNR website last year in which a biologist stated that a wolf population in the LP is inevitble with time. The northen LP still houses a decent forest density and food source. Poaching? Not sure why it would be anymore of an issue than it would be in the UP. As to what Bo said about laws that concern the LP and UP, I agree to a point with respect to game regulations and such. I have family in Munising and they are pissed about the wolf law.

I read a recent study, I don't have the link, but it basically states that the LP doesn't have the environment to sustain a wolf population. pretty much due to lack of woods and poaching..

As a snowmobiler, I really get to see how pervasive poaching is. The locals drive their pickups down the trails at night and shoot out the window, we stumbled on a few over the last few years.

Wolves are a low population density animal. If I'm recalling correctly, a 50 square mile area can only support 2 packs at most. The current UP wolf population is at the historical maximum right now. It wouldn't take many angry farmers before the population would collapse in the lower peninsula. The UP has almost no farms outside the far eastern section, so no angry farmers to kill the wolves in the central and western UP.

Most of the lower peninsula has farm fields -- and farmers, minus the Huron and Manistee national forests.

My only complaint here is December. Other than that Nov, Jan, and Feb have been excellent (well..I would call January "good" and February "superb" for an average of "excellent" :lol:)

For here, it's been:

November: Good

December: Boooooooring

January: Alright (We had a great 1 week span, but then the rest of the month was boooooooring. But, we had snowcover!)

February: Excellent! (Would prefer temps in the 20s though)

Wolves are a low population density animal. If I'm recalling correctly, a 50 square mile area can only support 2 packs at most. The current UP wolf population is at the historical maximum right now. It wouldn't take many angry farmers before the population would collapse in the lower peninsula. The UP has almost no farms outside the far eastern section, so no angry farmers to kill the wolves in the central and western UP.

Most of the lower peninsula has farm fields -- and farmers, minus the Huron and Manistee national forests.

The UP has its fair share of logging clear cuts as well.

Getting another 1-3 inches of snow tonight. And, then record cold on the way for Thursday and Friday mornings. Not really looking forward to -10 type temperatures as I was six years old the last time that happened. We may have single digit highs for the first since 1996 as well Thursday. Going to be brutal for an area that only sees five to 10 days a year where the highs don't get out of the 20's.

it's been a frustrating winter no doubt, and so far a very forgettable one, but you're exaggerating here. CMH has 17.8" as of today and will probably be pretty close to 19 or 20 by weeks end. We average 28" on a season. I'll be shocked if we make it thru the next several weeks in this pattern without at least hitting average.

There have been many worse winters than this. Off hand, do you recall 2011-12? How about some of those late 90s snoozers, early 90's snoozers.... remember 97-98? C'mon man, don't let your current frustration kill your objectivity.

Forgive me if I don't buy that total. And while maybe that total is accurate for there, I can guarantee it isn't for here. But take away the amount received in that November snow And CMH has gotten around 10" the rest of the winter. But in 1-2" incriments. So averaging 3.5" per month. That's pretty pathetic. At least imo it is.

Comments about this morning IND Discussion.

Banter:

I like it when a forecaster injects personal thoughts into the discussion:

AS FOR TEMPS...STRONG COLD AIR ADVECTION IS EXPECTED THROUGH THE
DAY. GFS SHOWS 850MB TEMPS NEAR -25C ARRIVING BY 00Z...ALONG WITH
THE DREADED 495DAM 1000-500MB THICKNESS.

Minor Complaint:

IND looks to get midnight highed from setting a min max record:

WE EXPECT STEADY OR SLOWLY FALLING TEMPS THROUGH THE DAY.
FOR VERIFICATION PURPOSES WILL TREND HIGHS CLOSE TO THE 12Z TEMPS.
HIGHS TODAY HAVE PROBABLY ALREADY OCCURRED...AT MIDNIGHT. IF NOT
FOR THAT...WE WOULD PROBABLY HAVE BROKEN THE RECORD FOR LOW HIGH
TEMPERATURE FOR THE DAY.

Major Complaint:

Freezing my caboose off for weeks on end and when we do get a legit threat, we have to sweat temp issues! Record cold temps Wed. night-Friday morning, then worrying about zr on Saturday!

UNCERTAINTY CONTINUES AS TO EXACTLY WHERE THIS MIXING
ZONE WILL BE. AT THIS TIME...CENTRAL OR NORTHERN FORECAST AREA
APPEARS MOST LIKELY.

below zero and windy this morning with some lake dust in the air.  should remain below zero until sometime of Friday.  Lake Superior is currently 89.7% ice as of 2-16, same date last year it was 91%.  the great lakes ice cover as a whole is 82% which is exactly where it was on this date last year.  Thursday night, this area should be -25 to -35, and even colder in some of the interior UP. 

excellent and seemingly unbiased analysis of UP wolves

http://blogs.dickinson.edu/gis/2012/11/01/gis-analysis-of-grew-wolf-habitats-in-michigan/

Clearly, the wolf populations in Michigan, and the Great Lake area, are expanding and it seems they inhabit the majority of favorable land in the Upper Peninsula.  The Lower Peninsula on the other hand does not show much potential for wolf habitats.  I recommend using this type of analysis to examine other northern states; the criteria discussed for favorable wolf habitats in Michigan can be used to examine areas east and west of the Great Lakes area.  Other states and regions may present possibilities for Grey wolf population growth and range expansion.

There was an article on the DNR website last year in which a biologist stated that a wolf population in the LP is inevitble with time. The northen LP still houses a decent forest density and food source. Poaching? Not sure why it would be anymore of an issue than it would be in the UP. As to what Bo said about laws that concern the LP and UP, I agree to a point with respect to game regulations and such. I have family in Munising and they are pissed about the wolf law.

My take is poaching would become a bigger issue there due to the human population density(for wolves to thrive , less than 4 people per sq mile is needed), also there's a road density issue as well.  just not favorable for wolves in the LP... Food wise, there may be more down there but clearly there are more factors than food availability.  Also as stebo mentioned, lots of farms there which would create a real problem.

seriously? There's plenty of wolves here. I've had them in my yard. Bring on the hunt again. They're decimating the deer population in the N UP where they're already struggling due to cold and recent deep winter snow as it is.

I don't agree that people in the LP should decide on the UP laws. It really is a different state.

I have no problem with the wolf hunt on the mainland of the UP. I was specifically talking about the wolf population on Isle Royale that has become increasingly inbred due to a lack of ice bridges in recent years. If anything, I want wolves out of your backyard and onto the Isle (although the ice bridge would be from Minnesota).

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/01/11/isle-royale-wolf-wolves-moose/21558035/

I have no problem with the wolf hunt on the mainland of the UP. I was specifically talking about the wolf population on Isle Royale that has become increasingly inbred due to a lack of ice bridges in recent years. If anything, I want wolves out of your backyard and onto the Isle (although the ice bridge would be from Minnesota).

Ohhh I see.  here's a great read on the Moose and Wolf population on Isle Royale. 

One thing to note tho, Isle Royale freezes between the island and Canada pretty much yearly, so there's your bridge.  thx for the link as well.

http://isleroyalewolf.org/data/data/home.html

pneumonia sux...

Yeah man.  Not pneumonia but I had some respiratory thing earlier this winter that I just couldn't get rid of.  Took 2 courses of antibiotics and some additional time before I felt back to normal.  Was pretty crappy though...even just sitting down and doing nothing felt like I had just run up and down the stairs a few times. 

Yeah man.  Not pneumonia but I had some respiratory thing earlier this winter that I just couldn't get rid of.  Took 2 courses of antibiotics and some additional time before I felt back to normal.  Was pretty crappy though...even just sitting down and doing nothing felt like I had just run up and down the stairs a few times. 

yeah....drawn out mental and physical drain....just finishing my first round of zpak...but prolly started them a week or so later than I should have which landed me in the ER over the weekend.  (I also should have listened to myself a little better, but this is only my second time ever needing antibiotics in 36 years...so part of me just didn't know any better).  I mean, I'm not the healthiest of health nuts in the world, but I run three seasons out of the year and eat pretty healthy....but this has just been a rippin' kick in the ballz...

glad you're feeling better ... continued good health to you

Archived