• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Boston doesn't interest me (than again either does Detroit or Chicago) as I will take my current location over Boston (&Detroit &Chicago) hands down.  If I had to live in Mass then I would be near Worcester.  Honestly if I had to live in NE then I would prefer New Hampshire over Mass.

I considered N/NW Maine for a while but Michigan is my home state and I like the great lakes too much

But VT, NH, and Maine along the Canadian border has mountains and nice deep system snowpack in any average Winter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea Boston destroys Detroit on the snow department. Not even close. IMO Let me put to you guys this way. Boston is taking Detroit's top 3 snowfalls and repeating them in a 3 week time period. The only thing Detroit has over Boston is the more frequent 1-2" snowfalls and its on the ground longer.

which is why as a winter enthusiast overall id choose here. More true winter. Average snow is the same, climate is totally different. Boston actually destroys any city I can think of for big storms.

I could. I have to check that list again but I think only a few are truly horrific (like sub 15"). And if you live in the western suburbs, with a bit of elevation, you can probably avoid the clunkers all together. Truly an urban snow lover's paradise.

meh i know I couldn't. I mean if I had a crystal ball I may live in a different city every winter :lol:.

We had an epic, historic winter here last winter.....and started November off snowy and cold. Then December hit a brick wall of snowless hell and the weenies were already restless. Its easy to say now...but the true winter lover couldn't handle clunkers, no matter how fond the memories of recent winters are. Now a storm chaser like so many here could in a heartbeat (mild and sunny or whopper snowstorm would satisfy them, doesn't matter which)

old white men have been making that post about literally everything since al gore invented the internet

True, but I thought maybe this winter might have moved outside normal just enough to end the meme for a little while.

Fireballs could be raining down and this guy would still proclaim it weak sauce compared to his childhood.

Yea Boston destroys Detroit on the snow department. Not even close. IMO Let me put to you guys this way. Boston is taking Detroit's top 3 snowfalls and repeating them in a 3 week time period. The only thing Detroit has over Boston is the more frequent 1-2" snowfalls and its on the ground longer.

Boston also destroys most of Antarctica in snow climo.

Boston also destroys most of Antarctica in snow climo.

As does pretty much everyone north of I80. So sick of the Boston fetish. They have a better snowstorm climo than just about everyone. They have less "winter" than most of this subforum. Its a totally different climate, totally different circumstances, its a dead horse thats been beaten over and over...it is what it is. Want to plan a trip there next January? You may have so much snow you cant get out of your hotel...or it may look like spring with not an ounce of snow around. No way to tell. Thats Bawstin. Cant think of any city Id like to see be on this HISTORIC month any less than them.

As does pretty much everyone north of I80. So sick of the Boston fetish. They have a better snowstorm climo than just about everyone. They have less "winter" than most of this subforum. Its a totally different climate, totally different circumstances, its a dead horse thats been beaten over and over...it is what it is. Want to plan a trip there next January? You may have so much snow you cant get out of your hotel...or it may look like spring with not an ounce of snow around. No way to tell. Thats Bawstin. Cant think of any city Id like to see be on this HISTORIC month any less than them.

No need to get hot over it :lol:

Do you hate Boston that much? :lol:

I think it is also safe to say nobody in this forum wants to see another +pna winter like we have had ever again.. :whistle:

You mean no one wants a dry dusty snowfall winter where if you don't get lucky you end up like the 70 corridor, where most places are under a foot for the year. Yeah I will pass on a +pna winter for the rest of eternity. 

Do you hate Boston that much? :lol:

Not to get WAY OT with it...but since you asked.....:lol:

Its basically a 2-parter. Yes, the snow obsession thing with Boston has always annoyed me. Not talking about this year so much....any idiot who is not stuck in their bubble of "this is typical/average...in the 1970s blah blah blah" has to realize whats going on there is nothing short of historic...but since these boards have started (talking way back when there were NO subforums, it was all one) it struck me odd what I called the Boston fetish. They could get a 16" storm in Boston and thats all everyone would talk about....I mean....Buffalo could get buried under 5 feet of LES and it would get talked about for a few days, or any other number of east coast cities could get buried and it would get talked about for a few days...but Boston would get buried and then everyone was all over it for months.

Still, I always thought Boston would be a cool place to visit with all their historic sites and such - right up my alley! But about a year ago I met and became friends with someone who just moved to MI (from FL) whose job requires constant travel all around the country, with frequent stops in some of the big cities...and he is ALWAYS talking about how rude, pushy, and stuckup people are in Boston. I would have always thought it was NYC or LA, but he says hands down people in Boston are the WORST, and its a shame because the city itself is pretty sweet. Not saying there arent nice people there lol, there are nice people and douchebags EVERYWHERE, but I have no reason to doubt what he always says (and again, if anything he loves the city itself).

I just guess all those things combined just annoy me about Boston. :P

Boston is looking At its snowiest winter ever... and you still see these stupid posts.

Snowiest 2 weeks OF ALL TIME... "Typical Winter in 1970's"

hahah

attachicon.gifdumb poster.jpg

The person who posted that is a moron. Honestly, people just don't realize how historic this February is turning out to be. This could potentially be one of the top five coldest months ever recorded at Toronto Pearson airport. Obviously that's nothing compared to what Boston is going through, but still.

You mean no one wants a dry dusty snowfall winter where if you don't get lucky you end up like the 70 corridor, where most places are under a foot for the year. Yeah I will pass on a +pna winter for the rest of eternity. 

Pretty much..

The storms just keep coming in too far east and don't have a chance to develop till they reach the coast. The only difference involves the NAO as that has been + which benefits New England where as if it had been negative then those down the coast in the Mid Atlantic/se would be cashing in.

What else are you gonna do on a Friday night when you aren't feeling well enough to go out?

Valparaiso has had lake-effect events that produced at least 10 inches of snow in (at least) December 2004, February 2008, November 2008, February 2009, December 2010, and January 2011, this not including any synoptic-scale systems that happened to produce significant lake enhancement.

Since I arrived in the fall of 2011, there have been precisely zero.  Barring some fantastic model bust tomorrow night, or some other unforeseen event in the roughly ten days we have left in the season, my class will be the first since *at least* the class of 2004 to go all four years without a big lake-effect event.  And I only looked even semi-exhaustively back to 2007.  This record could easily go back into the 1990s.

What else are you gonna do on a Friday night when you aren't feeling well enough to go out?

Valparaiso has had lake-effect events that produced at least 10 inches of snow in (at least) December 2004, February 2008, November 2008, February 2009, December 2010, and January 2011, this not including any synoptic-scale systems that happened to produce significant lake enhancement.

Since I arrived in the fall of 2011, there have been precisely zero.  Barring some fantastic model bust tomorrow night, or some other unforeseen event in the roughly ten days we have left in the season, my class will be the first since *at least* the class of 2004 to go all four years without a big lake-effect event.  And I only looked even semi-exhaustively back to 2007.  This record could easily go back into the 1990s.

I remember some of those that you mentioned.  Valpo was certainly on a roll several years ago.  Lake county has had a couple monsters in the past 10 years...Jan 2005 and Jan 2014...both of which turned sour for Porter as it drew closer. 

One you didn't mention for Porter county was Jan 2003.  I think it may have been the 17th but I'd have to double check.  Not sure about Valpo's total but I think the heaviest might have fallen just west of there.  I chased that one...I think there was like 20" in Porter (the town). 

....Buffalo could get buried under 5 feet of LES and it would get talked about for a few days, or any other number of east coast cities could get buried and it would get talked about for a few days...but Boston would get buried and then everyone was all over it for months.

True, but a lake effect storm hits one very localized area and may impact a couple hundred thousand people, whereas the east coast blizzards smothers multiple millions. Not to mention the hurricane force wind gusts and house-destroying storm surges (comparable to strong tropical storms and in the more severe cases weak hurricanes), along with the congestion of such an old city makes for some pretty serious problems. 

Archived