joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston has received 71.8" of snow in the past 2 1/2 weeks (may be a little higher depending on what the afternoon climate report says).  I'm not sure that's ever happened in a major non-LES city in the U.S.

so many insane stats for Boston.  Another one is that they've received 2 of their all time top 10 snowfalls in ten days.   That would be like us getting March '08 and PDII in a ten day period.....I'd be one giddy sonofabit*ch

Boston has received 71.8" of snow in the past 2 1/2 weeks (may be a little higher depending on what the afternoon climate report says).  I'm not sure that's ever happened in a major non-LES city in the U.S.

I doubt it has ever happened. Boston probably has the best non LES climate (for snowfall, not overall IMO) east of the Rockies.

Only thing I can think of is the crazy run that the MA had in the first ten days of Feb 2010. Granted the amounts aren't close to BOS, though the timeframe is smaller, but considering how much further south these places are...pretty historic.

Baltimore (BWI) had 49.5"

Philadelphia (PHL) had 44.9"

Washington DC (IAD) had 45.7"

The Feb 2010 DC run was nice, but 10 days after their peak depth, it was all gone. Boston might have snow till April at this rate. That's the one thing that sucks about the mid atlantic, they have big storm potential, but no staying power for keeping that snow long.

I'd love to spend one winter in the Berkshires.... beautiful area to drive through.

I doubt it has ever happened. Boston probably has the best non LES climate (for snowfall, not overall IMO) east of the Rockies.

Best climate for big snowstorms Id say, certainly not snowfall overall. Too feast and famine there. Two winters under 10" total snowfall the last decade, and now 70"+ in under 3 weeks :lmao: They are having a feast bigger than the first Thanksgiving right now.

so is there such thing as 'too much'?    I think Boston is approaching that rare standard where I'm concerned.  I think at this point, if you own a house in the area you probably are starting to sweat a little about potential problems so much snow can bring and, god forbid, what a rainstorm could do.

Some of the worst winter weather, (as far as wear and tear on property) is heavy rain with a deep snow pack.  Suppose that storm next week amps and cuts? :yikes:

so is there such thing as 'too much'? I think Boston is approaching that rare standard where I'm concerned. I think at this point, if you own a house in the area you probably are starting to sweat a little about potential problems so much snow can bring and, god forbid, what a rainstorm could do.

Some of the worst winter weather, (as far as wear and tear on property) is heavy rain with a deep snow pack. Suppose that storm next week amps and cuts? :yikes:

I was hearing that they are considering the possibility of having school on Saturdays in order to be able to end the school year at a reasonable date.

so is there such thing as 'too much'?    I think Boston is approaching that rare standard where I'm concerned.  I think at this point, if you own a house in the area you probably are starting to sweat a little about potential problems so much snow can bring and, god forbid, what a rainstorm could do.

Some of the worst winter weather, (as far as wear and tear on property) is heavy rain with a deep snow pack.  Suppose that storm next week amps and cuts? :yikes:

After this weekend, I think so. Imagine if they got 2-3" of rain in a couple weeks on top of all that snow.

so is there such thing as 'too much'? I think Boston is approaching that rare standard where I'm concerned. I think at this point, if you own a house in the area you probably are starting to sweat a little about potential problems so much snow can bring and, god forbid, what a rainstorm could do.

Some of the worst winter weather, (as far as wear and tear on property) is heavy rain with a deep snow pack. Suppose that storm next week amps and cuts? :yikes:

the key is how much water content is in their snowpack. We had cores of 4" here last winter and that was unprecedented. The hydrologists were freaking out but no rain accompanied a slow thaw. It isnt the UP where there is a slow melt in a rural area..if a storm cuts and rains on them....disaster.

the key is how much water content is in their snowpack. We had cores of 4" here last winter and that was unprecedented. The hydrologists were freaking out but no rain accompanied a slow thaw. It isnt the UP where there is a slow melt in a rural area..if a storm cuts and rains on them....disaster.

Thaws are nearly always overstated by the media. We had 5-6.5" SWE in the Nov. LES followed by 67 degs and sun. We then had nearly an inch of rain. The temperature stayed above 50 for 2-3 straight days. Not one bit of flooding aside from a few leaky basements. As long as you clear off your roof you'll be fine.

Thaws are nearly always overstated by the media. We had 5-6.5" SWE in the Nov. LES followed by 67 degs and sun. We then had nearly an inch of rain. The temperature stayed above 50 for 2-3 straight days. Not one bit of flooding aside from a few leaky basements. As long as you clear off your roof you'll be fine.

I'd assume there will be some trashed basements in Boston, considering how old the sewage system has to be. They would be best served by a slow, boring melt. Knowing that part of the country, a massive slug of rain will move through and screw them.

Best climate for big snowstorms Id say, certainly not snowfall overall. Too feast and famine there. Two winters under 10" total snowfall the last decade, and now 70"+ in under 3 weeks :lmao: They are having a feast bigger than the first Thanksgiving right now.

You know it's their year when storms that hit us, hit them....

I'd assume there will be some trashed basements in Boston, considering how old the sewage system has to be. They would be best served by a slow, boring melt. Knowing that part of the country, a massive slug of rain will move through and screw them.

Never thought of that, good point. The biggest floods we get around here are usually in late March/early April with Ice Jam flooding. That stuff can cause some serious flooding in and around local creeks.

Smaller area though, in MA it is much more expansive.

Archived