• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

It dang near feels like a cool spring night outside here in SE Missouri. Yet another storm leaves us soaking in the rain. Are we gonna get a Winter or should we just fast forward to Spring? My optimism is pretty much drained.

Still 6 weeks or so left. Maybe that new snowpack up north will push some storms down this way. Not holding my breath though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey watch it....we're doing another March '08 this winter....and you don't want me trolling you do you?  

At least our bust had a parachute with it....we saw the cracks in the armor start forming about 3 nights ago when the nam and gfs started going north.   That sinking feeling set in and the euro just wasn't giving the reassurance it once did.   I feel sorry for you guys who had the rugs pulled out from you inside 24 hours.    Nice snowstorm for the Chicago to Detroit crowd.   Congrats to you guys though.  Just stay the f*ck out this thread now for the rest of this season, your banter/complaint cards have been pulled.

This one didn't hurt nearly as bad a last Jan 5th.   On that storm we were Truly alone in the bust room.  At least we have company here this time. :hug: If you want a tour let me know, I know this place like the back of my a**, here's a hint, the buffet table runs out wings fast so grab 'em why you can.

Deal!!! :D

Hey watch it....we're doing another March '08 this winter....and you don't want me trolling you do you?  

At least our bust had a parachute with it....we saw the cracks in the armor start forming about 3 nights ago when the nam and gfs started going north.   That sinking feeling set in and the euro just wasn't giving the reassurance it once did.   I feel sorry for you guys who had the rugs pulled out from you inside 24 hours.    Nice snowstorm for the Chicago to Detroit crowd.   Congrats to you guys though.  Just stay the f*ck out this thread now for the rest of this season, your banter/complaint cards have been pulled.

This one didn't hurt nearly as bad a last Jan 5th.   On that storm we were Truly alone in the bust room.  At least we have company here this time. :hug: If you want a tour let me know, I know this place like the back of my a**, here's a hint, the buffet table runs out wings fast so grab 'em why you can.

Coolstorybro

Detroit has got the shaft from so many storms like this one here. Constant issues with dry slots, virga, etc. has made it really hard for many storms to achieve over a foot here while our friends in the northern suburbs get well over a foot.

We also get the shaft with many severe events as well. Extreme weather events are quite rare here compared to many areas in the midwest.

Your climo doesn't favor big snowstorms, I'm not sure why you're surprised that you got rained out, because the models had you in the jackpot zone on Thursday? Take some advice from a Detroiter, don't put your heart in any solution more than 48 hrs out. You'll get burned.

This is 2014/15 Complaint Thread. Do not bring up previous winters. This is from IWX's Facebook page. That 5.1" is mine. I was expecting 12" 24 hrs before onset. Anyone north of the line of death (double digits) can't complain anymore this winter. South of the line, the thread's open.

post-830-0-82621900-1422848244_thumb.png

This is 2014/15 Complaint Thread. Do not bring up previous winters. This is from IWX's Facebook page. That 5.1" is mine. I was expecting 12" 24 hrs before onset. Anyone north of the line of death (double digits) can't complain anymore this winter. South of the line, the thread's open.

attachicon.gif02012015.png

I might complain about more snow.

Coolstorybro

Detroit has got the shaft from so many storms like this one here. Constant issues with dry slots, virga, etc. has made it really hard for many storms to achieve over a foot here while our friends in the northern suburbs get well over a foot.

We also get the shaft with many severe events as well. Extreme weather events are quite rare here compared to many areas in the midwest.

Your climo doesn't favor big snowstorms, I'm not sure why you're surprised that you got rained out, because the models had you in the jackpot zone on Thursday? Take some advice from a Detroiter, don't put your heart in any solution more than 48 hrs out. You'll get burned.

a Detroiter with a chip on his shoulder?   today?  really?

stfu :)

Coolstorybro

You mean you get to miss out on getting your vehicle pelted with golf ball sized hail and your home damaged by 70+ mph winds? Oh man, you poor little thing. I tell ya, I really look forward to forking out a couple grand to repair storm damage. I often fantasize about calling the claims agent after a tornado too  :twister:

a Detroiter with a chip on his shoulder?   today?  really?

stfu :)

I can't imagine receiving a foot of snow, and on the same day coming in the banter, complaint thread to whine about past bad storms????  wtf lol

Let's not forget Detroit also broke their season snowfall record last year. Poor f*cking Detroit. They have it pretty bad. :lol:

Yeah, I was pissed when I woke up to pixie dust still. It's improved. But this is the B & C thread. Logic and rationality can be checked at the door.

I think we should put that in the title of the B&C threads!!!  People come on here to vent.  Venting is about expressing your feel regardless of reality.  The think non-venting people just don't get it.  We don't want logic or rationality ... we just want to vent our feelings out and be done(honestly it is good for stress release purposes).

I think we should put that in the title of the B&C threads!!!  People come on here to vent.  Venting is about expressing your feel regardless of reality.  The think non-venting people just don't get it.  We don't want logic or rationality ... we just want to vent our feelings out and be done(honestly it is good for stress release purposes).

99% of the subforum get this. A few don't.

Amen! i never get the rationale of "rational" people who whine about people whining. 

Amen! i never get the rationale of "rational" people who whine about people whining. 

Yep - agree.

Before this most recent storm, most of IL/IA/southern WI had zero snow cover.  Unfortunately, it's very common around here to have bare ground at the beginning of Feb.  Actually, the same can be said for any day during the winter. 

As an example - the Quad Cities in eastern IA/western IL (near where cyclone lives?) only get about 30-35" of snow per year...and Chicago only gets about 40".  These are just estimates - don't quote me on the exact numbers.  And, average highs are generally in the low 30's even in Jan...so in esssence, any above normal day melts the snow, especially as the sun angle gets higher in Feb.

Chicago, for example, has a 50/50 chance at a White Christmas.  Even in January, it's only a 60-65% chance of having snow cover on any given day.

Bottom line - our snow cover climo is horrible...and I'll definitely complain about it.   Obviously we had an amazing storm over the past few days IMBY (about 17")...but prior to that storm, this winter was a joke.  We had zero snowfall in December IMBY (not even a trace), and I think Chicago had the same.  That is unacceptable.

It really is striking how different the feel of winter is if you just go 250 miles north (north-central WI) or 250 miles south (St. Louis).  In the former, you can count on winter each year.  In the latter, they never have "consistent" winter.  Northern IL is kind of in between...so when you do taste real winter for awhile, it makes you want it all the time. :)

Archived