Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - agree.

Before this most recent storm, most of IL/IA/southern WI had zero snow cover.  Unfortunately, it's very common around here to have bare ground at the beginning of Feb.  Actually, the same can be said for any day during the winter. 

As an example - the Quad Cities in eastern IA/western IL (near where cyclone lives?) only get about 30-35" of snow per year...and Chicago only gets about 40".  These are just estimates - don't quote me on the exact numbers.  And, average highs are generally in the low 30's even in Jan...so in esssence, any above normal day melts the snow, especially as the sun angle gets higher in Feb.

In Chicago for example, we have a 50/50 chance at a White Christmas.  Even in January, it's only a 60-65% chance of having snow cover on any given day.

Bottom line - our snow cover climo is horrible...and I'll definitely complain about it.   Obviously we had an amazing storm over the past few days IMBY (about 17")...but prior to that storm, this winter was a joke.  We had zero snowfall in December IMBY (not even a trace), and I think Chicago had the same.  That is unacceptable.

It really is striking how difference things are if you just go 250 miles north (north-central WI) or 250 miles south (St. Louis).  In the former, you can count on winter each year.  In the latter, they never have "consistent" winter.  Northern IL is kind of in between...so when you do taste real winter for awhile, it makes you want it all the time. :)

ORD did receive a T in December.

Amen! i never get the rationale of "rational" people who whine about people whining. 

...and I don't understand the rationale of people who whine, about the people who whine, about people whining. 

You do realize the further you are up on the 'whine change', the less rational and logical your whining becomes. ;)

Yep - agree.

Before this most recent storm, most of IL/IA/southern WI had zero snow cover.  Unfortunately, it's very common around here to have bare ground at the beginning of Feb.  Actually, the same can be said for any day during the winter. 

As an example - the Quad Cities in eastern IA/western IL (near where cyclone lives?) only get about 30-35" of snow per year...and Chicago only gets about 40".  These are just estimates - don't quote me on the exact numbers.  And, average highs are generally in the low 30's even in Jan...so in esssence, any above normal day melts the snow, especially as the sun angle gets higher in Feb.

Chicago, for example, has a 50/50 chance at a White Christmas.  Even in January, it's only a 60-65% chance of having snow cover on any given day.

Bottom line - our snow cover climo is horrible...and I'll definitely complain about it.   Obviously we had an amazing storm over the past few days IMBY (about 17")...but prior to that storm, this winter was a joke.  We had zero snowfall in December IMBY (not even a trace), and I think Chicago had the same.  That is unacceptable.

It really is striking how different the feel of winter is if you just go 250 miles north (north-central WI) or 250 miles south (St. Louis).  In the former, you can count on winter each year.  In the latter, they never have "consistent" winter.  Northern IL is kind of in between...so when you do taste real winter for awhile, it makes you want it all the time. :)

It is amazing to me to how different it can be just 250 miles away.  I have had snow cover since early January and have been doing fun winter activities for a month now.  Nothing impressive (4-5" on average) until we got dumped on by yesterday's storm.  Just looking at the EURO it shows area's 250 miles to my SW may have above freezing temps later this week while it looks like I won't. 

My god....euro destroys new England.

current storm = 1'+

midweek storm blows up = 1'+

next weekend storm blows up = 1'+

:blink:

Eastern LI after getting 2' last week had 30s and rain today :yikes:

It will be interesting to see if Boston might break it on the ground record (if I recall read some of the threads over there last week correctly it might be in play).

I like Jerry & some of the other poster over there so I am all for it :jerry:   :jerry:

I know some hate see the NE get hammered but as long as I am getting storms I could care less (meaning that I do care at least a little as I would be lying if I didn't admit to being at least somewhat jealous to the NE totals but if I am getting storm action I don't really mind much).

Yep - agree.

Chicago, for example, has a 50/50 chance at a White Christmas.  Even in January, it's only a 60-65% chance of having snow cover on any given day.

It really is striking how different the feel of winter is if you just go 250 miles north (north-central WI) or 250 miles south (St. Louis).  In the former, you can count on winter each year.  In the latter, they never have "consistent" winter.  Northern IL is kind of in between...so when you do taste real winter for awhile, it makes you want it all the time. :)

I live in an area that usually has snow cover through most of the winter. So, if there is not snow, many snow lovers are upset (many snow activity enthusiasts). If there is snow, many of the snow haters are upset and say we're having a "horrible winter". lol

...and I don't understand the rationale of people who whine, about the people who whine, about people whining. 

You do realize the further you are up on the 'whine change', the less rational and logical your whining becomes. ;)

lol! Are you directing that to me, buckeye? I don't believe I was whining?

I will say, if it does warm up above freezing the snow will compact rather quickly. Unlike last year when we had several inches of water in the snow pack. This snow pack is drier.

After GHD Blizzard, most of the snow was gone in 2 weeks if I remember right.

I will say, if it does warm up above freezing the snow will compact rather quickly. Unlike last year when we had several inches of water in the snow pack. This snow pack is drier.

After GHD Blizzard, most of the snow was gone in 2 weeks if I remember right.

That sucks.

Archived