• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

The sad part about the nor'easter is the NYC "bust" is still bigger than anything my area has seen in years.

A certain FB post by a popular met bashing TWC is just embarrassing and so unprofessional. 

I don't know how it would be possible to  look any worse at this point.

Oh yeah, he was savaging TWC big time largely due to their "incompetent" lower snow totals for the NYC/NJ area.  More than that, the guy can be a colossal d**k.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad part about the nor'easter is the NYC "bust" is still bigger than anything my area has seen in years.

Oh yeah, he was savaging TWC big time largely due to their "incompetent" lower snow totals for the NYC/NJ area.  More than that, the guy can be a colossal d**k.

Difficult for me to have any respect for someone with his complete lack of professionalism. Long, profanity laden facebook posts are not exactly what I would be spending my money on.

Monday morning quarterbacking here but the RGEM should've been a warning sign.  From what people over there have said, it's usually a respectable model for northeast storms and it not going all-in perhaps should've caused more concern.

call me crazy, but I like the rgem for short term trends on a storm.  I think it does really well with rain/snow line and picking up last minute storm deviations.

Early estimates coming in show the shutdown cost the EC cities over $1 billion. I can only imagine the ripple effect this will have on future forecasts of major storms. The NWS has an incredibly tough job, but no one gives much credit when things go as forecasted. People are quick to lash out when they bust however. That's rough.

I imagine its next to impossible because most storms have lake effect on the backside, & there is no distinction of what is what in the record books

Buf NWS agreed with you. Got this message from them. Kind of sucks though as it would be fun to separate the two. We rarely if ever receive lake effect from synoptic systems off of Lake Erie, but quite a bit off of Ontario.

"Even with months of research looking back through the historical data, it's just not possible to separate lake effect from synoptic snowfall events. Even in synoptic events, there is often lake enhancement or even pure lake effect towards the end of the event, so it's not completely valid to call those events just synoptic."

Okay so let look at yesterdays HECS ... now how many times do you hear the NE group talk about a +PNA,/-AO/-NAO combo for there HECS to occur ... hmmmm ... lets look at the current teleconnectors:  PNA is neutral (actually slightly -)/AO is +2/NAO is +1.  So according to these teleconnections it should have been a Torch yesterday in Boston and not Blizzard.

It just goes to show that teleconnections while useful are not everything!

One of the worst failures I can remember from the Euro in regards to the EC storm.  If I lived in Philly/NYC I would have felt pretty comfortable knowing the Euro had my back up until late this evening.  Talk about a kick in the crotch.  

This was forecasted by Upton in the afternoon.

2j3immr.jpg

This was also said by Upton

"CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD INTO TUESDAY...

ACCUMULATIONS...20 TO 30 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS...ESPECIALLY ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND CONNECTICUT. *

SNOWFALL RATES...2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING. "

In the end, I ended up with 10 inches which is fine by me but of course I would have loved to get a shutdown blizzard. I was getting worried when the other models weren't jumping on board.

Here is a complaint for you guys, I hate people who punt storms early and then sit in the thread to remind you they punted every model run. The next person that punts a storm should he banned from posting in said storm thread because no one cares to know you punted a storm.

Here is a complaint for you guys, I hate people who punt storms early and then sit in the thread to remind you they punted every model run. The next person that punts a storm should he banned from posting in said storm thread because no one cares to know you punted a storm.

This. +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you should co-mod with Hoosier.

Don't you agree that it fills up threads with nonsense which causes people to retort back saying It is nonsense. I mean just reading that thread today, it was filled with foolish shortsighted posts.

Punting today is silly. If you're punting this storm, then don't continue to post about it. I agree with dmc that zzz, punt, lol, and dab really add nothing to the conversation and should be kept in Banter. My fav's for analysis are Buckeye, Powerball, OHweather, yourself, Chicago Storm (when he's invested) Alek (when he's being serious), Whitelakeroy... and some GREAT mets we didn't use to have.

I mosty do obs and pics because I really don't get into dissecting models, in a storm thread, it's about analysis and forecasting.

edit: and Hoosier is damn good too!

Punting today is silly. If you're punting this storm, then don't continue to post about it. I agree with dmc that zzz, punt, lol, and dab really add nothing to the conversation and should be kept in Banter. My fav's for analysis are Buckeye, Powerball, OHweather, yourself, Chicago Storm (when he's invested) Alek (when he's being serious), Whitelakeroy... and some GREAT mets we didn't use to have.

I mosty do obs and pics because I really don't get into dissecting models, in a storm thread, it's about analysis and forecasting.

seriously thanks, but even I don't make my own top 20.

So, is it correct to say that there has yet to be a single widespread synoptic winter storm ANYWHERE east of the Mississippi this winter, (outside of this recent new england event)?

I guess you have to define winter storm but to me that would be widespread 6" + amounts.

Toronto got in on that one retrograding storm several weeks ago (dumped 6-10").

Otherwise, unless you count that clipper earlier this month that hit hawkeye and cyclone or the late November/early December storms that hit Northern WI/Northern MI, no...

So, is it correct to say that there has yet to be a single widespread synoptic winter storm ANYWHERE east of the Mississippi this winter, (outside of this recent new england event)?

I guess you have to define winter storm but to me that would be widespread 6" + amounts.

a thread created for a specific event. threads go ot all the time, but to just come in a thread to poop on it is silly.

Archived