• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

well well, looks like our clipper will dump 2 feet of snow on Philly and areas surrounding.....(based on latest EURO).. THe system is supposed to bomb off coast, wouldn't surprise me if that happens..congrats... :arrowhead:

I'll gladly take a foot plus here in West Michigan. With all the models showing some nice snow at the end of the week, I'm hoping it can happen.

I'll gladly take that map snowfall too as shows about nearing ~12" for us north of Detroit/East of Lansing with 12"+ into the Thumb.  Don't care about EC .. don't live there and not about to drive there just for a snowstorm.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be lucky to get 3" tomorrow.  Home may get 3 feet.

And I'm still bitter about the Clipper last year that was supposed to produce the Porter County megaband, amplified too much and the and ended up all in Lake County, all while home got 12"+ instead of the whiff they were expecting.

Gotta love big snow climo... it sure as heck isn't in the midwest (outside lake belts).

well well, looks like our clipper will dump 2 feet of snow on Philly and areas surrounding.....(based on latest EURO).. THe system is supposed to bomb off coast, wouldn't surprise me if that happens..congrats... :arrowhead:

Well, we live 1,000 miles from a moisture source.... What else do you expect? Big snow climo in the midwest is the UP of Michigan, NW lower and Buffalo for half the winter.

After a nice start for Toronto. What a disaster this winter has turned out for them. I don't blame them complaining one bit

Lmao, we got used to this now. After a few winters of being shafted, its come to the point where were now being accustomed to this new regime.

I'm not sure how well you guys would be able to handle this misery though , haha.

Come on man, we got Lake St. Clair?? what are you talking about..  :gun:

I used to joke with my friends about how the original settlers of Detroit must have tactically picked the least snowiest spot in the state to settle Detroit. Obviously that's rubbish, but we used to curse the British & French for screwing us over 300 years later.

My take on Big Storm Climo:

Des Moines-Minneapolis-Green Bay-Chicago and north of US 10 in Michigan is a section of the country that gets more events with more than 6". I think this is because the Colorado Low (Panhandle) track favors these places. The connection of Gulf moisture and the amplifying Colorado Low seems to work well, sometimes.  Otherwise, areas of the "Midwest" at 4000-6000 ft above sea level can get wildly varying conditions... Denver's record is 45" in one storm. The Black Hills can have some of the most extreme conditions under 6000ft.

After a nice start for Toronto. What a disaster this winter has turned out for them. I don't blame them complaining one bit

I was near certain they would be the jackpot of the region this winter. I figured even if they get a little less snow by comparison than last winter, it would help their psyche being the jackpot of a meh winter over being relatively screwed in a historic winter. But they may be down again. They were leading dtw like 12" to 4" in December now their lead is down to an inch. Ssc used to joke about leaving Toronto for the "snow magnet" of Detroit/Windsor but in reality we should not be out-snowing them almost every year. (Of course thats a moot point as he is now in London, a Better place than either).

Des Moines-Minneapolis-Green Bay-Chicago and north of US 10 in Michigan is a section of the country that gets more events with more than 6". I think this is because the Colorado Low (Panhandle) track favors these places. The connection of Gulf moisture and the amplifying Colorado Low seems to work well, sometimes. Otherwise, areas of the "Midwest" at 4000-6000 ft above sea level can get wildly varying conditions... Denver's record is 45" in one storm. The Black Hills can have some of the most extreme conditions under 6000ft.

Detroit has NO problem getting 6"+ lol. Or even 10" for that matter. Then cut off always seems to be 12"

Des Moines-Minneapolis-Green Bay-Chicago and north of US 10 in Michigan is a section of the country that gets more events with more than 6". I think this is because the Colorado Low (Panhandle) track favors these places. The connection of Gulf moisture and the amplifying Colorado Low seems to work well, sometimes.  Otherwise, areas of the "Midwest" at 4000-6000 ft above sea level can get wildly varying conditions... Denver's record is 45" in one storm. The Black Hills can have some of the most extreme conditions under 6000ft.

Detroit has NO problem getting 6"+ lol. Or even 10" for that matter. Then cut off always seems to be 12"

Yeah i would be doing a lil more research if i were Pin.. Didn't we just have this convo?

I was near certain they would be the jackpot of the region this winter. I figured even if they get a little less snow by comparison than last winter, it would help their psyche being the jackpot of a meh winter over being relatively screwed in a historic winter. But they may be down again. They were leading dtw like 12" to 4" in December now their lead is down to an inch. Ssc used to joke about leaving Toronto for the "snow magnet" of Detroit/Windsor but in reality we should not be out-snowing them almost every year. (Of course thats a moot point as he is now in London, a Better place than either).

The only silver lining I can think of is that our snowstorm frequency hasn't been than that bad during the last decade. It's just been the light-moderate "clipper" type storms that seem to be elusive. That's really where our seasonal totals have taken a hit.

Since 2004-05 @ Toronto City:

6"+: 18

8"+: 10

10"+: 4

12"+: 2

14"+: 1

Works out to a 1.8 6"/winter rate, which is on par with climo for us. Even with your consistently higher seasonal snowfall totals, I'm guessing the storm numbers between Toronto and Detroit are comparable.

The only silver lining I can think of is that our snowstorm frequency hasn't been than that bad during the last decade. It's just been the light-moderate "clipper" type storms that seem to be elusive. That's really where our seasonal totals have taken a hit.

Works out to a 1.8 6"/winter rate, which is one par with climo for us. Even with your consistently higher seasonal snowfall totals, I'm guessing the storm numbers between Toronto and Detroit are comparable.

Which three storm were recorded as above 12"? I'm sure one of them was in 07-08, right? I know last Winter i got one in my backyard in early February and the March 2008 blizzard. The February 2013 storm was also above 12" for me. 

Which three storm were recorded as above 12"? I'm sure one of them was in 07-08, right? I know last Winter i got one in my backyard in early February and the March 2008 blizzard. The February 2013 storm was also above 12" for me. 

The numbers are inclusive. So the 2 for 12"+ includes the 14"+ one, for eg.

The two 12"+ storms were December 15-16, 2007 (13.3") and February 8, 2013 (14.4")

Works out to a 1.8 6"/winter rate, which is on par with climo for us. Even with your consistently higher seasonal snowfall totals, I'm guessing the storm numbers between Toronto and Detroit are comparable.

pretty close for detroit, though we are beating toronto til you get to 12". These numbers are above long term climo however.

Since 2004-05 at DTW

6"+: 24

8"+ 11

10"+: 5

12"+: 1

14"+: 0

Total crush job for NYC on the 00z Euro...impressive stuff if it pans out.

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH LATETUESDAY NIGHT...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH LATETUESDAY NIGHT.* LOCATIONS...EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD  CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.* TIMING...THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH  TUESDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN THE  POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY.  ALONG THE SOUTHEAST NEW ENGLAND COAST...THE SNOW MAY BE WET  ENOUGH TO RESULT IN SOME DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER OUTAGES.  TRAVEL MAY BECOME IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE  ENTIRE REGION. THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A HISTORIC STORM.* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

Just wow. Yesterday at this time I was looking at high-end advisory level snow and now I get an SPS for a sloppy inch or two. Who would have thought that thermals would be an issue on a clipper in late January?

I guess after last winter's overperformer after overperformer, this winter's underperformers hurt that much more. It also makes it worse that the board crashed because of the EC megastorm. This may go down as the winter in which if anything can go wrong, it will.

In the complaint/banter thread, mark this one down as a formal complaint. Meltdown here, but I'd like to see ONE snow of over 3" this winter.

Archived