amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That may be true, but it's a good thing we have keen human minds.  Those human minds should not have to bail out computer models time and again. Once in awhile, sure, but there hasn't been one event the models have done well with this year, so I'm with Michsnowfreak and Powerball.

I didn't want to clutter up the clipper thread, but had to respond. The data sets for input to the computer models are formulated by humans. Apparently, the large scale pattern in not conducive to data input resulting in accurate forecasts.

Also, no matter how far we advance in the field of meteorology, weather is chaos.

I remember wanting to join a weather board and found wwbb, & just literally made up a user name on the spot with little thought. I wish I would have thought of a mkre clever name lol,.but I never changed it so the other "old timers" would know it was me if we moved around. So michsnowfreak it is :P

You capitalized your M over at Eastern though.

I joined Eastern in 2003 at 13.   I remember Harry, Josh, Hoosier and others from then.  Stumbled into OT by chance.  When OT thrived back in 2005'ish era, the board/community in general had a very close knit feel.  Anyone remember the Nan drama? haha

I come and go... breaks from the board are needed.  Summers, I'm on the go, and my passion is Winter weather so I can go a month or more without posting or even getting on. But to leave the board for good usually only happens to me by a bann :D

I joined Eastern in 2003 at 13.   I remember Harry, Josh, Hoosier and others from then.  Stumbled into OT by chance.  When OT thrived back in 2005'ish era, the board/community in general had a very close knit feel.  Anyone remember the Nan drama? haha

I come and go... breaks from the board are needed.  Summers, I'm on the go, and my passion is Winter weather so I can go a month or more without posting or even getting on. But to leave the board for good usually only happens to me by a bann :D

Agree with everything you said. :) I so so so so wish I could live up where you're at, but the wife just won't allow it. haha :(

Either that, or temps will be too marginal for the big cities, or some other trick that this winter manages to use.  :P  I don't know much about east coast storms but the weekend one has 850's that are just a little below 0C and no high pressure to the north (retreating high), which seems like a red flag for significant snows unless farther inland. 

Wanted to bump this.  Looks like Boston will be the winner out of the big cities if the forecasts pan out. 

Meanwhile, check out DC's ob history.  Brutal.

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KDCA.html

Even more painful a little farther inland:

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KIAD.html

I remember you. You kept Pinwheeler on Eastern too, didn't you?

Yes, I was Pinwheeler for 7 years, I think.

You guys may have been talking about Ne.weather newsgroup, which was a newsgroup, not a forum. I discovered that before WWBB. However, I don't have a lot of positives to say about that. I really just lurked and read whatever useful things were there. I first discovered DT's discussions at Ne.weather.

When did WWBB crash? late 2004?

Yes, I was Pinwheeler for 7 years, I think.

You guys may have been talking about Ne.weather newsgroup, which was a newsgroup, not a forum. I discovered that before WWBB. However, I don't have a lot of positives to say about that. I really just lurked and read whatever useful things were there. I first discovered DT's discussions at Ne.weather.

When did WWBB crash? late 2004?

I remember a few talking about a newsgroup. that may be it, but was before my time. Late 2004 sounds about right.

I know that Eastern died on about November 10, 2010. It took me three days to find this place. I felt like the kid that no one wanted to play with and left me behind. It took quite a bit of searching, but I found you guys.

That was about the same time I join too.  I love all seasons ... I only come on the boards for winter though (lessons learned :arrowhead: ).   As you can see my Avatar biggest interest is Thunderstorms but a very close second is snow!

I know that Eastern died on about November 10, 2010. It took me three days to find this place. I felt like the kid that no one wanted to play with and left me behind. It took quite a bit of searching, but I found you guys.

Pretty sure some people didn't make it over here, but most did and certainly the core group.

That whole thing...wow.  One of the challenges was how to get the word out to everyone as it didn't take long for the entire Eastern staff to get shut out.  Overall it worked well but some fell through the cracks.   

Hoosier and I were trying to send out the search signal for you. :)

Pretty sure some people didn't make it over here, but most did and certainly the core group.

That whole thing...wow.  One of the challenges was how to get the word out to everyone as it didn't take long for the entire Eastern staff to get shut out.  Overall it worked well but some fell through the cracks.   

Yeah, wonder how many we lost? I know valposnow was a big poster at Eastern, and never made it on here.

Hoosier and I were trying to send out the search signal for you. :)

Yeah, wonder how many we lost? I know valposnow was a big poster at Eastern, and never made it on here.

I can think of a couple...wuvablepebbles and your favorite poster, Respiratory Guy.  Hard to say how many. 

I can think of a couple...wuvablepebbles and your favorite poster, Respiratory Guy.  Hard to say how many. 

wuvablepebbles...yeah. Wish she would have made it over.

Pretty sure Respiratory Douche has an account here under a different name. Posted a little bit, but has mainly stayed away...thankfully.

wuvablepebbles...yeah. Wish she would have made it over.

Pretty sure Respiratory Douche has an account here under a different name. Posted a little bit, but has mainly stayed away...thankfully.

Ytterbium! *ducks*

Another female member that I don't believe made the transition was MichMedic.

I remember a few talking about a newsgroup. that may be it, but was before my time. Late 2004 sounds about right.

Don't take it personally  ;) ... heck I know I was not invited for sure ... I am willing to bet some wish I would never have joined here.  I didn't join until Dec. 2013 but I intentionally took those years off of weather boards.

well well, looks like our clipper will dump 2 feet of snow on Philly and areas surrounding.....(based on latest EURO).. THe system is supposed to bomb off coast, wouldn't surprise me if that happens..congrats... :arrowhead:

I'll gladly take a foot plus here in West Michigan. With all the models showing some nice snow at the end of the week, I'm hoping it can happen.

I'll be lucky to get 3" tomorrow.  Home may get 3 feet.

And I'm still bitter about the Clipper last year that was supposed to produce the Porter County megaband, amplified too much and the and ended up all in Lake County, all while home got 12"+ instead of the whiff they were expecting.

Archived