• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

One that is often overlooked because the jackpot occurred between cities, was Dec'04.  Places in western OH/eastern IN picked up over 30" I believe.  

Correct.  Some other storms with jackpots over 2' in the past 30-35 years include GHD, the Feb 1998 OV storm (the one where Louisville set its record), the 1991 Halloween blizzard and the Jan 1982 storm.  Would take some work but would be interesting to go back through historical storms and try to find out how many have dumped that much.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One that is often overlooked because the jackpot occurred between cities, was Dec'04.  Places in western OH/eastern IN picked up over 30" I believe.  

I remember driving home from Florida in March/April 10 or so years ago when we got to Erie PA there had to be 30+ inches. I have been trying to figure out what storm that was. Any idea?

yea it's hard to beat having your neighbor be the atlantic ocean when you're north of 40.  Granted, it can screw them at times as well.

They get screwed a couple dozen times for every one time it doesnt. I'd rather have a UP or NW lower winter, but for big city climo, Boston owns.

Man, NAM is nuts for NYC.  Almost diabolical to drop that much snow on the biggest city in the country.

We need an historic storm now for our sub-forum. That isn't fair, lol. The Atlantic Ocean has its benefits for them. On the contrary, at-least we see colder temperatures and more snow cover days then them.  

Would be nice to experience a classic Nor'Easter though. 

Still some crazy model variations for that noreaster.  For instance the 18z nam buries all of NJ and extreme E.PA.   While the 18z rgem says light snow for those areas, keeping the heaviest snow further east.

The geographic coverage is relatively tiny.  It's like 2 or 3 county widths in Ohio or Indiana.   This is going to be fascinating to watch unfold. 

It is hard to believe there is about to be a major NE storm.  Normally when NE is getting blasted in SE MI we have a stiff 10-20 MPH North to Northeast wind with nasty damp wind chills and overcast conditions with even some Lake Huron low level clouds.  HOWEVER: Today was perfectly sunny and calm winds and nice out.

Normally when NE is getting blasted in SE MI we have a stiff 10-20 MPH North to Northeast wind with nasty damp wind chills and overcast conditions with even some Lake Huron low level clouds. 

You think so?

I thought typically, with us being in the subsidence zone of the developing east coast storm, we always more often than not end up with nice weather.

Granted, toady I didn't think that would be the case with the shortwave rounding the back side of the trough to the west...

Still some crazy model variations for that noreaster. For instance the 18z nam buries all of NJ and extreme E.PA. While the 18z rgem says light snow for those areas, keeping the heaviest snow further east.

The geographic coverage is relatively tiny. It's like 2 or 3 county widths in Ohio or Indiana. This is going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

The 18z NAM and 18z GFS are night and day for New Jersey and NYC. With the GFS those areas may only see 6-10" but the NAM says 24"+. There's certainly an epic bust possibility for those on the eastern edge, particularly as you head towards Philly.

I could only imagine if there were those kinds of model disparities here in the Midwest hours before a potential record breaking storm. Meltdowns would certainly ensue. And those sitting on the edge watching areas so close getting buried wouldn't let it go for years on these boards.

Im pretty jealous of the east coast right now, I've never experienced anything like what they are about to get. I will take my consolation prize of consistent light-moderate Lake Effect Snow from Lake Ontario amounting to about 3 inches. But since this is technically the complaint thread I will complain that I missed out on the 6 inch totals by about 10 miles. 

Just talked to the Buffalo NWS and they said it's impossible to know what the top 5 synoptic systems are in Buffalo. They said the top 10 storms have all been Lake Effect which I already knew. Maybe I can research deeper into this to find out. The most recent one was March 2008 with 21 inches I believe.

I imagine its next to impossible because most storms have lake effect on the backside, & there is no distinction of what is what in the record books

Archived