• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Okay, I'm just going to say it... Winter is the most overrated season, by far. 

but isn't that why we're here?  I mean in the warm seasons I'm out doing stuff, I forget about this place unless some severe threat is looming, and even then I'm not tracking it a week out....I usually don't show up until the day before if that's the case.   Tracking snow is all we got in this season

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but isn't that why we're here?  I mean in the warm seasons I'm out doing stuff, I forget about this place unless some severe threat is looming, and even then I'm not tracking it a week out....I usually don't show up until the day before if that's the case.   Tracking snow is all we got in this season

Winter is too hit or miss.  When it's good, it's fun.  When it's not, it's just cold and gloom and worthless.  You don't go through the emotional rollercoaster with any other season like you do in winter.  I've lived in places that had virtually no seasons at all, and it was kind of nice not to be obsessed about it. 

Boston is wayyyy to feast or famine for me. Bo winter climo, Chicago summer climo ftw.

Boston will probably continue to get these storms as long as they are at the tail end of a trough, with that ocean being so warm. The funny thing is that the warm ocean in hugging the shore, the perfect spot to feed of the energy, but not too robust that it drives up their temps.

I agree, they typically average weeks without even a flake during the heart of winter. No lake effect and a lack of clippers.

They have the perfect climo this winter, but this winter is far from average.

Boston will probably continue to get these storms as long as they are at the tail end of a trough, with that ocean being so warm. The funny thing is that the warm ocean in hugging the shore, the perfect spot to feed of the energy, but not too robust that it drives up their temps.

I agree, they typically average weeks without even a flake during the heart of winter. No lake effect and a lack of clippers.

They have the perfect climo this winter the past 3 weeks (and possibly beyond), but this winter is far from average.

BINGO & FYP

In all seriousness though. What is happening in Boston with the next Blizzard with that much snow on the ground in Maine and Mass is historic. This is a once in 500 year event I think unfolding. 2-5' of snow on the ground with 60+ MPH winds + 1-2 feet of new snow. This is the blizzard of 77 impacting millions and millions of people. People will talk about this year for decades to come.This is a very dangerous situation, and the entire east coast from Boston to Maine should shut down completely for this one.

In all seriousness though. What is happening in Boston with the next Blizzard with that much snow on the ground in Maine and Mass is historic. This is a once in 500 year event I think unfolding. 2-5' of snow on the ground with 60+ MPH winds + 1-2 feet of new snow. This is the blizzard of 77 impacting millions and millions of people. People will talk about this year for decades to come.This is a very dangerous situation, and the entire east coast from Boston to Maine should shut down completely for this one.

So every city has gotten some kind of historic weather moment or a Winter season in the past few years. Mid atlantic in 09-10, Detroit/Chicago in 2013-14 and the NE this Winter. We also can't forget about the Buffalo LES in November as well, haha. 

So when is it Toronto's turn? 07-08 was an A+ Winter, but historic? It was really close. Just shy of 4-5".  Wasn't a cold winter unfortunately. 

So every city has gotten some kind of historic weather moment or a Winter season in the past few years. Mid atlantic in 09-10, Detroit/Chicago in 2013-14 and the NE this Winter. We also can't forget about the Buffalo LES in November as well, haha. 

So when is it Toronto's turn? 07-08 was an A+ Winter, but historic? It was really close. Just shy of 4-5".  Wasn't a cold winter unfortunately. 

Hopefully soon for you guys!

The only winters that likely came close to what Boston is currently experiencing were the winters of 1717, 1747-48 and 1798-99, at least according to David Ludlum's early American Winters.

Personally, in terms of American cities, Burlington, Vermont has the ideal climate.

I'm a crazy weather fanatic so I would take the following if I was rich enough. ^_^

Nov. 15-March 15th- Redfield, NY on the Tug- Best chance for insane snowfall rates and 300+ inches a year

March 15-June 15th- Oklahoma City, OK- Highest probability of severe weather/tornadoes

June 15th-Nov 15th- Miami, Florida - Highest probability for Hurricane Landfalls

So when is it Toronto's turn? 07-08 was an A+ Winter, but historic? It was really close. Just shy of 4-5". Wasn't a cold winter unfortunately.

January 1999 was historic with 48" (118.4 cm) of snow falling in downtown Toronto, most of it falling from Jan 2-15 (113 cm). Then Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman called in the Canadian army to help clear the snow.

January 1999 was historic with 48" (118.4 cm) of snow falling in downtown Toronto, most of it falling from Jan 2-15 (113 cm). Then Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman called in the Canadian army to help clear the snow.

I agree. January 1999 was an amazing month. But i was referring more towards an historic Winter than an historic month. 07-08 was close at YYZ. If it was colder that Winter, it would have sealed the deal for a once in a 50+ year Winter season. 

I agree. January 1999 was an amazing month. But i was referring more towards an historic Winter than an historic month. 07-08 was close at YYZ. If it was colder that Winter, it would have sealed the deal for a once in a 50+ year Winter season.

Although 07-08 had its share of torch periods (Jan 8-10, 2008), it was an amazing winter for the Great Lakes region.

Boston is wayyyy to feast or famine for me. Bo winter climo, Chicago summer climo ftw.

The thing is, Boston has a slightly warmer climo, but because so many of their snowfalls are decent sized storms, and often wet snows, the snowcover isn't too far off of what many of our subforum cities experience.  To me Boston is nice because they don't have famine years as often as New York, Philly or DC, but still bear the brunt of a lot of Nor'easters.

The thing is, Boston has a slightly warmer climo, but because so many of their snowfalls are decent sized storms, and often wet snows, the snowcover isn't too far off of what many of our subforum cities experience.  To me Boston is nice because they don't have famine years as often as New York, Philly or DC, but still bear the brunt of a lot of Nor'easters.

Fun fact of the day: Indianapolis is colder than Boston in winter. They don't really do cold all that well.

December: BOS 34.7˚ • IND 31.6˚

January: BOS 29.0˚ • IND 28.1˚

February: BOS 31.7˚ • IND 32.1˚

But you know, who cares right...especially when you have a giant fuel source to your immediate east. Snow is king. They do have their fair share of season snowfall clunkers though, despite the current good run.

Fun fact of the day: Indianapolis is colder than Boston in winter. They don't really do cold all that well.

But you know, who cares right...especially when you have a giant fuel source to your immediate east. Snow is king. They do have their fair share of season snowfall clunkers though, despite the current good run.

Pretty significant difference in December.  I'm guessing it has to do with the ocean, which is not as cool as it is later in winter. 

good point.

I didnt realize til you posted it, but despite our near identical average snowfall, an average Boston December would be the 18th warmest on record for Detroit, & an average Boston February would be the 18th warmest on record for Detroit! (Avg boston January wouldnt place in top 20 warmest for Detroit but its not far off).

I just couldnt handle the clunkers. Obviously id live there over nyc or philly, but I need my more reliable climate in the Lakes. It does not matter how epic one winter is, or how due you are for a clunker, when said clunker is in progress, the memories of all the recent epic times (though they are fond memories) are little consolation to the winter weather lover.

good point.

I didnt realize til you posted it, but despite our near identical average snowfall, an average Boston December would be the 18th warmest on record for Detroit, & an average Boston February would be the 18th warmest on record for Detroit! (Avg boston January wouldnt place in top 20 warmest for Detroit but its not far off).

I just couldnt handle the clunkers. Obviously id live there over nyc or philly, but I need my more reliable climate in the Lakes. It does not matter how epic one winter is, or how due you are for a clunker, when said clunker is in progress, the memories of all the recent epic times (though they are fond memories) are little consolation to the winter weather lover.

I could. I have to check that list again but I think only a few are truly horrific (like sub 15"). And if you live in the western suburbs, with a bit of elevation, you can probably avoid the clunkers all together. Truly an urban snow lover's paradise. 

Yea Boston destroys Detroit on the snow department. Not even close. IMO Let me put to you guys this way. Boston is taking Detroit's top 3 snowfalls and repeating them in a 3 week time period. The only thing Detroit has over Boston is the more frequent 1-2" snowfalls and its on the ground longer.

Yea Boston destroys Detroit on the snow department. Not even close. IMO Let me put to you guys this way. Boston is taking Detroit's top 3 snowfalls and repeating them in a 3 week time period. The only thing Detroit has over Boston is the more frequent 1-2" snowfalls and its on the ground longer.

Yea, Boston big snow climo destroys us.

I'm a snowcover fan, I really don't care how I get it.... but they are experiencing a good, long, melt-free winter too. Best of both worlds.

I could. I have to check that list again but I think only a few are truly horrific (like sub 15"). And if you live in the western suburbs, with a bit of elevation, you can probably avoid the clunkers all together. Truly an urban snow lover's paradise.

Western Massachusetts avoids the clunkers, mostly. I have driven through the state a few times and have observed snowpack in western Massachusetts, while Boston was snow free.

Archived