• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

If Columbus manages to reach normal snowfall this season (and I really have my doubts), it looks to be from nickel and dimes. The absolute worst waste of all this cold. It reminds me of a December 2000 that has dragged on for 4 months.

December 2000 I consider the best winter month of all time locally.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the ECMWF is the only model showing rain and it's several days out.  Let's at least wait for more support. 

Well, it's either rain or whiff south...depending on the model of your choice. :lol:

Eh, it's just not central Indiana's winter. Sh*t happens. At least the region/sub-forum has seen a couple of good storms.

I had just enough time for one of two things. Watch the latest ISIS beheading video, or loop the 12z GFS. I chose the latter because I thought it'd be less stomach churning. Oops.

:yikes:

Question.  What grade would you give this winter so far as of today? 

For here I'd go C.  December was quite lackluster but since then, have had a 6" storm and an icing event and already approaching seasonal average snow.  The big early February storm going north and the current big storm going south is not good, but I only grade based on what happens here while factoring in climo.  I doubt my final grade will drop to D or F, but there's still room for improvement.

Well, it's either rain or whiff south...depending on the model of your choice. :lol:

Eh, it's just not central Indiana's winter. Sh*t happens. At least the region/sub-forum has seen a couple of good storms.

I think I'd rather get whiffed south if those are the choices.

Question.  What grade would you give this winter so far as of today? 

For here I'd go C.  December was quite lackluster but since then, have had a 6" storm and an icing event and already approaching seasonal average snow.  The big early February storm going north and the current big storm going south is not good, but I only grade based on what happens here while factoring in climo.  I doubt my final grade will drop to D or F, but there's still room for improvement.

C-

December was a no-show, but overall winter/season snowfall and cold has been acceptable...and getting a 6" storm is always a bonus. Grade is low because of missing out on both big storms. If another one blows through and misses us, it drops to a D.

I think I'd rather get whiffed south if those are the choices.

Yep, agreed.

December 2000 I consider the best winter month of all time locally.

Dec 2000 was a top 5 snowiest for us on record and yet we never received a 24 hour snowfall greater than 2 inches thru the entire month, (I believe it was 2"...if not less than that).   Only in CMH could you manage a stat like that :lol:   Basically I put the snowblower in the garage and kept the wisk broom out by the door.  

Question. What grade would you give this winter so far as of today?

For here I'd go C. December was quite lackluster but since then, have had a 6" storm and an icing event and already approaching seasonal average snow. The big early February storm going north and the current big storm going south is not good, but I only grade based on what happens here while factoring in climo. I doubt my final grade will drop to D or F, but there's still room for improvement.

I would go A-/B+but based on the extended almost surely it will end up in A range.

Nov- A-

Dec- F

Jan- B+

Feb- A+

I would go A-/B+but based on the extended almost surely it will end up in A range.

Nov- A-

Dec- F

Jan- B+

Feb- A+

Nov - solid A  (8"+ event IMBY and ~10" LES on Thanksgiving at my sisters was able to multiple outdoor activities).

Dec - F (~1" on snow on Christmas eve was somewhat a victory but was mostly melted by AM Christmas morning present time).

Jan - A (1/3-1/2" ice storm, cold, decent snow (nothing major though) with good enough snowcover for outdoor activities but the one warm-up was annoying though a reality for our area)

Feb - A+ (15" snowstorm, solid 6" arctic front snows event, incredible cold)

I agree A-/B+ ... so hard for me to keep it in the A range when the Holiday Season was such a failure.  I have to admit that it has been easier for me to separate last year from the fold then I thought it would be.

Nov - solid A  (8"+ event IMBY and ~10" LES on Thanksgiving at my sisters was able to multiple outdoor activities).

Dec - F (~1" on snow on Christmas eve was somewhat a victory but was mostly melted by AM Christmas morning present time).

Jan - A (1/3-1/2" ice storm, cold, decent snow (nothing major though) with good enough snowcover for outdoor activities but the one warm-up was annoying though a reality for our area)

Feb - A+ (15" snowstorm, solid 6" arctic front snows event, incredible cold)

I agree A-/B+ ... so hard for me to keep it in the A range when the Holiday Season was such a failure.  I have to admit that it has been easier for me to separate last year from the fold then I thought it would be.

As a winter lover, last winter cannot possibly receive anything less than an A+. This winter is looking at a B right now, December was absolute garbage, but winter has been pretty good since Jan 5th. If we torch all the snow off before March 5th, that will lower my grade. If the UP has no snow for the 3rd week of March, HUGE grade deduction.

Question. What grade would you give this winter so far as of today?

For here I'd go C. December was quite lackluster but since then, have had a 6" storm and an icing event and already approaching seasonal average snow. The big early February storm going north and the current big storm going south is not good, but I only grade based on what happens here while factoring in climo. I doubt my final grade will drop to D or F, but there's still room for improvement.

Well it started off promising in November, but since then it has been wasted cold air misses to the north and south and east So with that said this has been one of, if not the, worst winters I can remember in my 31 years.

F+

And only because of the early season snowfall.

Well it started off promising in November, but since then it has been wasted cold air misses to the north and south and east So with that said this has been one of, if not the, worst winters I can remember in my 31 years.

F+

And only because of the early season snowfall.

it's been a frustrating winter no doubt, and so far a very forgettable one,  but you're exaggerating here.   CMH has 17.8" as of today and will probably be pretty close to 19 or 20 by weeks end.   We average 28" on a season.  I'll be shocked if we make it thru the next several weeks in this pattern without at least hitting average.

There have been many worse winters than this.  Off hand, do you recall 2011-12?    How about some of those late 90s snoozers, early 90's snoozers.... remember 97-98?   C'mon man, don't let your current frustration kill your objectivity.

it's been a frustrating winter no doubt, and so far a very forgettable one, but you're exaggerating here. CMH has 17.8" as of today and will probably be pretty close to 19 or 20 by weeks end. We average 28" on a season. I'll be shocked if we make it thru the next several weeks in this pattern without at least hitting average.

There have been many worse winters than this. Off hand, do you recall 2011-12? How about some of those late 90s snoozers, early 90's snoozers.... remember 97-98? C'mon man, don't let your current frustration kill your objectivity.

Its interesting that the best and worst winter are separated by just 2 years. I managed only around 25 days all winter below freezing in 2011-2012.

Archived