joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting that the best and worst winter are separated by just 2 years. I managed only around 25 days all winter below freezing in 2011-2012.

I wouldnt call 2011-12 the worst winter....mainly because of the fact that snowfall as not even in the top 20 least snowy. But holding onto freezing temps for more than a few days just didnt happen.

I had just enough time for one of two things. Watch the latest ISIS beheading video, or loop the 12z GFS. I chose the latter because I thought it'd be less stomach churning. Oops.

If there's a heaven, that's what it'd look like, minus Cantore.

Dying from laughter right now after reading these two posts...:lmao:

I guess if we're grading the Winter as a whole this early, I'll add my score as of now.

Keep in mind this is my third Winter in a snow belt and perspective is relative. That said, here is my grade.

If we are basing this on snow alone, MQT is at 150" and Normal to this point is 137". So 13" above normal. Further nw in the Hurons, I am at 167". Probably a tad above normal to this point but not much.

Factoring in my grade, I have to include the 36" storm in early Nov that gave me a 2'+ snowpack that never left. Also the recent blizzard that had all the elements of severe Winter weather (wind, heavy snow, closures). So I feel like Winter started with an awesome storm and essentially is "ending" with a blizzard. Lake Superior is freezing up tight so my snow source is quickly ending fast. My hope for meaningful snow from here out will rely on systems. I still will make it to 200" but that is normal, which I consider "average". That grade is a C. But, the storm in Nov and the recent Blizzard has to factor in on my grade. All that said, I am giving the Winter to this point is a B-. Have to subtract some for the brutal cold that has been very persistent in the N lakes area all Winter, but have to add points for the epic Nov. storm and the Blizzard this week. So in closing, this has been an average snow Winter with a great beginning and a sweet blizzard. Final grade will come in March.

I guess if we're grading the Winter as a whole this early, I'll add my score as of now.

Keep in mind this is my third Winter in a snow belt and perspective is relative. That said, here is my grade.

If we are basing this on snow alone, MQT is at 150" and Normal to this point is 137". So 13" above normal. Further nw in the Hurons, I am at 167". Probably a tad above normal to this point but not much.

Factoring in my grade, I have to include the 36" storm in early Nov that gave me a 2'+ snowpack that never left. Also the recent blizzard that had all the elements of severe Winter weather (wind, heavy snow, closures). So I feel like Winter started with an awesome storm and essentially is "ending" with a blizzard. Lake Superior is freezing up tight so my snow source is quickly ending fast. My hope for meaningful snow from here out will rely on systems. I still will make it to 200" but that is normal, which I consider "average". That grade is a C. But, the storm in Nov and the recent Blizzard has to factor in on my grade. All that said, I am giving the Winter to this point is a B-. Have to subtract some for the brutal cold that has been very persistent in the N lakes area all Winter, but have to add points for the epic Nov. storm and the Blizzard this week. So in closing, this has been an average snow Winter with a great beginning and a sweet blizzard. Final grade will come in March.

There hasn't been any mega LES dumps in the UP this season. That's a big downgrade right there.

This being only my second "full" winter back up here I'd have to give it an F-.  Of course my experience is grading it against one of the mother of all winters lol.  With that in mind, there's still time for this winter to get some extra credit, at least IMBY.  We've had a big dog to the north and now one to the south.  Perhaps this coming weekend will be our turn  :weenie:

I wouldnt call 2011-12 the worst winter....mainly because of the fact that snowfall as not even in the top 20 least snowy. But holding onto freezing temps for more than a few days just didnt happen.

The thing I hated about that winter was that every snowfall was like a Spring snowfall. The ground never froze, and the temps were consistently in the 30s. Thus, as soon as a snowfall stopped, walking in it was sloppy, and it would melt quickly. Definitely a tough winter for a consistent snowcover.

After today's winter storm, I'm willing to give this winter a B. We went from mid November to mid February without a snowfall bigger than an inch. That's rare, even down here.

But, today's big one more than made up for it. An A winter for me would be 20 inches, but if I get another 2-4 inch snowfall, I'll give this winter a B+.

The thing I hated about that winter was that every snowfall was like a Spring snowfall. The ground never froze, and the temps were consistently in the 30s. Thus, as soon as a snowfall stopped, walking in it was sloppy, and it would melt quickly. Definitely a tough winter for a consistent snowcover.

we had a few snowfalls that were bitterly cold....I remember there was a clipper in late January and then the crazy February 10 arctic front...it was pure sugar with temps in the low teens! But not two days later we were back to torching! Then of course we did e those.spring like snows u mentioned.

Looking at my snow plow log book.. A+, since it is nearing the 1/2" thickness for enteries.  Have to go do am site checks or I would get an exact numerical count for my fellow number cruncher.

I think I am getting used to the cold. Spent an hour yesterday on a snow machine with jeans, hoodie, spring jacket and cotton gloves.

Looking at my snow plow log book.. A+, since it is nearing the 1/2" thickness for enteries.  Have to go do am site checks or I would get an exact numerical count for my fellow number cruncher.

I think I am getting used to the cold. Spent an hour yesterday on a snow machine with jeans, hoodie, spring jacket and cotton gloves.

Same here I think. Spent the last 4 days up north snowmobiling with the family and friends out in some of the coldest air we have seen in a long long time, mid 1990's we thought. I never got cold. With that said, I would be fine with a warm up, upper 20's-lower 30's for a few weeks till real Spring weather hits in April......

It would definitely piss me off if, after suffering through this pointless eskimo ****, the next cutter ends up going west of us and we see rain...

These types of patterns under the right set up can help to dam cold air under a WAA regime (I.E. the thundersnow on Feb 20th last year and the 1999 Blizzard), but it's hard getting these types of set ups since we don't have higher elevation to aid in the process.

Cold, dry air with a few torches in between

Biggest snowfall event 3.6"

Current Snowfall deficit 15"

No storms forecasted for the next 10+ days

Right now I'd say this winter is a D. The only good thing is that the lake has some great ice to skate on. Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are on hold indefinitely. Simply not enough snow.

Cold, dry air with a few torches in between

Biggest snowfall event 3.6"

Current Snowfall deficit 15"

No storms forecasted for the next 10+ days

Right now I'd say this winter is a D. The only good thing is that the lake has some great ice to skate on. Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are on hold indefinitely. Simply not enough snow.

The snowstorm took out the ice skating on our lake.  The weight of the snow caused water to come up though the pressure cracks.  It became a slushy mess in the bottom couple inches of the snow.  The way if froze (uneven and very bumpy) made it worthless for ice skating.  At least with all the snow we have other winter activities to do.

big LE dumps usually come after nice wound up systems which there just hasn't really been any up this way ... period!

Or a solid 'true' clipper train which allows the NW flow to be more constant (less calm or variable winds).  December 1989 was incredible at MI Tech as we had a constant clipper train.  Around town/campus we had reports of 120"+  in about 3 week period. Ironically CMX where the official records are kept had less but was understandable since many times winds directions had the most dominate band over the city rather than the airport.

Or a solid 'true' clipper train which allows the NW flow to be more constant (less calm or variable winds).  December 1989 was incredible at MI Tech as we had a constant clipper train.  Around town/campus we had reports of 120"+  in about 3 week period. Ironically CMX where the official records are kept had less but was understandable since many times winds directions had the most dominate band over the city rather than the airport.

nw flow couldn't have been any more constant that this Winter, but it was a dry one and like you mentioned, lacking a true clipper train. And the few decent clippers that there have been wet south of here.

nw flow couldn't have been any more constant that this Winter, but it was a dry one and like you mentioned, lacking a true clipper train. And the few decent clippers that there have been wet south of here.

Yeah this year the better moisture has been well south of Lake Superior but I have noticed the surface/lake winds have not been very favorable but not the worst either.  

When I think of clippers I think of the Alberta Clippers or Saskatchewan Screamers or Manitoba Maulers (This last Saturday was a Manitoba Mauler).  The fact the most of MN & northern WI are basically snow-very-little shows that a 'true' clipper train is not in place other than a few.

we had a few snowfalls that were bitterly cold....I remember there was a clipper in late January and then the crazy February 10 arctic front...it was pure sugar with temps in the low teens! But not two days later we were back to torching! Then of course we did e those.spring like snows u mentioned.

They did make for some picturesque scenery though...covering all the trees nicely. 

If I had known about Michigan Tech (PA boy here) when I graduated high school in 2000, I would surely have gone there!

It would definitely piss me off if, after suffering through this pointless eskimo ****, the next cutter ends up going west of us and we see rain...

These types of patterns under the right set up can help to dam cold air under a WAA regime (I.E. the thundersnow on Feb 20th last year and the 1999 Blizzard), but it's hard getting these types of set ups since we don't have higher elevation to aid in the process.

it would tick me off too, I'd rather see suppression. Especially since I want to see how long we can ride this snowcover streak.

Archived