• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

Well that was an interesting run of the Euro. Not only did it move to the GFS it went a step beyond and put the entire east into the ice box. The ridging in the west was great. This would be dry cold verbatim as it would crush anything.

The last few years we've done well with clippers. I'll take the cold and hope for some small events.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 240, looks like a reloading with the Aleutian low moving back in with the PV already over Hudson Bay. I've totally in love with this run.  Scandinavian block in place.. may trend back into the arctic depending on how much the PV digs farther south.

Curious to see the strat. maps...

Agree.  I guess after seeing so many runs of the Euro that beat the Alaskan block down quickly with the firehose in the Pacific, I was gun shy and afraid we were headed back down that path again.  

All in all, a very nice run of the Euro, though I don't really want cold and dry, lol.

At 240, looks like a reloading with the Aleutian low moving back in with the PV already over Hudson Bay. I've totally in love with this run.  Scandinavian block in place.. may trend back into the arctic depending on how much the PV digs farther south.

Curious to see the strat. maps...

YLQbtff.gif

HM tweeting about the 12z Euro/stratosphere run. The strat maps I have wont update until tonight. Hopefully WSI tweets it out.

With all the model run to run inconsistencies lately it really does seem like as someone recently pointed out a Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde scenario with all options still on the table. Yes I like the trends, but to be honest it's hard to trust anything the models are showing outside of about 5 days right now which could lead to a unexpected surprise at some point.

1939-40 and similar winters still not off the table, despite Don. S.'s and DT's worries, if you believe the 12Z GFS/Euro operational runs. But we could sure use a -AO/-NAO to help out.

In my years of following models, the change from 0Z yesterday to 12Z today for days 6-10+ is about as big as I can ever remember.

HM tweeting about the 12z Euro/stratosphere run. The strat maps I have wont update until tonight. Hopefully WSI tweets it out.

What is he saying specifically for this run? Hasn't it been showing a possible SSW event for a while now? Is it warmer or positioned differently?

What is he saying specifically for this run? Hasn't it been showing a possible SSW event for a while now? Is it warmer or positioned differently?

@antmasiello: ECMWF has the most impressive split yet in strat. Wow

@antmasiello: @antmasiello so wave breaking over Europe sends cold into Mediterranean while high pressures build from Iceland to the Urals day 4-7. Wave2!

Gefs look improved past day ten. Epo stays negative with small but positive height anomalies over the Arctic.

Yes, and notice no more trough hanging back over the SW.  Trough east of HI = no SW trough, no SE ridge  Lo and behold, the models flipped with the SE ridge crushed into submission. Teleconnections are awesome.

If you have a model center subscription you can see the trend loop: http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html?&model=gfsens&run_time=12z&param=500mbHGHT&map=NH&run_hour=168&loop=trend

Yes, and notice no more trough hanging back over the SW.  Trough east of HI = no SW trough, no SE ridge  Lo and behold, the models flipped with the SE ridge crushed into submission. Teleconnections are awesome.

If you have a model center subscription you can see the trend loop: http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html?&model=gfsens&run_time=12z&param=500mbHGHT&map=NH&run_hour=168&loop=trend

That's a great tool (trend loop) and shows what you speak of clearly...... trend is our friend

Well, lets talk models and trends, right?  Shoutouts galore today.  LOL  Getting ready to go back into work, and anticipating it to be a long nice with the potential for SVR weather, but wanted to cut a video on my thoughts/ideas and stuff before then for y'all.  Enjoy!  

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Notable shifting on the euro d11-15 beyond the big cold shot. -PNA look is quickly vanishing (+pna showing up late). SE ridge not as prevalent. Higher heights showing up directly over the pole late in the run.

IMO- I'm fairly confident that the upcoming cold period will last longer than currently being advertised. If the PV wobbles around hudson we will have a variable pattern of good cold pushes, short lived return flow warm ups and repeat.

I'm also not seeing a nasty +AO. Maybe numerically it's not good but as far as height patterns go, I don't see it as a big net negative at all.

I have a meteorology question. Many people have attributed the warm winter of '11-'12, and some of the warmth this December to a howling Pacific jet. In the case, if the jet starts to slow down near the Pacific Coast or over the Western US, wouldn't this lead to a pile up of air in the upper atmosphere, and raise heights? I'm still a bit fuzzy on the dynamics of jet streams and jet streaks.

Well, lets talk models and trends, right?  Shoutouts galore today.  LOL  Getting ready to go back into work, and anticipating it to be a long nice with the potential for SVR weather, but wanted to cut a video on my thoughts/ideas and stuff before then for y'all.  Enjoy!  

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Much appreciated Chris! ;)

@antmasiello: ECMWF has the most impressive split yet in strat. Wow

@antmasiello: @antmasiello so wave breaking over Europe sends cold into Mediterranean while high pressures build from Iceland to the Urals day 4-7. Wave2!

Thanks...yep after looking at it, classic PV split at 50hPa centered over the hudson at 240hrs....last run had it more east and weaker not really helping us out. Classic SSW/PV split event it looks like to me. If you have WxBell it's here, Ryan Maue just released it this evening. My guess is he's confident it will get some traffic, haha. http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/yecmwf_strat.php

Archived