gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of whether the 0Z Euro is onto something, this is still another example of a fairly weak low in the GoM (Miller A) (~1010 at strongest) producing widespread wintry precip. in the inland SE US. Looking back at history, that's the type of low that typically produces these, not wound up phased lows. That's because those typically cause most to warm up too much.

The Euro's D10 storm is very close for the I-85 corridor on west in NC.  Definitely snow to start, then I'm unsure.  850s rise to +1C, but surface temps are 31-32.  850s crash to -2C by the end of the run with precip still falling.

The WB clown has 5-6" from CLT up to GSO with precip still ongoing, but that's hardly trustworthy. :lol:  The clown also puts down decent "snows" in AL and MS, plus N GA.  However, aside from the extreme northern portions, this looks like an ice storm rather than a snowstorm there (verbatim).

Thicknesses are kind of high, though, which makes me wonder if there's a warm layer in there somewhere.  Not to worry, though, as it will all be different at 12z in the next edition of "As the Models Turn"!

The Euro's D10 storm is very close for the I-85 corridor on west in NC. Definitely snow to start, then I'm unsure. 850s rise to +1C, but surface temps are 31-32. 850s crash to -2C by the end of the run with precip still falling.

The WB clown has 5-6" from CLT up to GSO with precip still ongoing, but that's hardly trustworthy. :lol: The clown also puts down decent "snows" in AL and MS, plus N GA. However, aside from the extreme northern portions, this looks like an ice storm rather than a snowstorm there (verbatim).

Thicknesses are kind of high, though, which makes me wonder if there's a warm layer in there somewhere. Not to worry, though, as it will all be different at 12z in the next edition of "As the Models Turn"!

850's went above freezing here with below freezing at 925. Sounds like IP.

6z GFS took another step back towards a warmer solution. The cold is not able to make any headway into the SE. As we all know the LR on any model is basically crap, but I was getting excited about the day 6 event. That's actually within the window of reality for the models; but that now looks too warm for anything but rain.

6z GFS took another step back towards a warmer solution. The cold is not able to make any headway into the SE. As we all know the LR on any model is basically crap, but I was getting excited about the day 6 event. That's actually within the window of reality for the models; but that now looks too warm for anything but rain.

Areas west of the apps is much different story. They have a much better chance given the setup

Areas west of the apps is much different story. They have a much better chance given the setup

The only chance we have is with the low level cold. I remember reading years back that models tend to have a hard time gauging how far the low level cold air can push into areas. We'll need to monitor how cold/dry the air that is near us and to see if there will be a sufficient high to deliver it.  

Two days ago you saw a torch too, so still lots of flipping left to go. Right now there's nothing to keep the cold air from rushing out to sea, hopefully we'll see a little -NAO to help us out. Just a little bit would be enough to push the snow line that the models are currently showing south.

Still a nice signal for Burgers new years storm, I don't know what to think day 10+, verbatim it doesn't look wintery to say the least.  I guess the glass half full folks will say "it won't take much" to turn it around.

Not going to say if the new years storm falters we are going to be waiting till end of January for our first event...atleast not going to say it yet.

post-2311-0-57310000-1419426217_thumb.pn

Archived