• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

Not sure if anyone expected models to have everything figured out after it did a complete 180 in one day, so I'll gladly take this run. Give me the cold. The minute we don't have that anywhere close to the US, even modeled in the west, is when we need to worry. Watching how quickly the cold drops and paying attention to the PNA is key...it broke down quick last few runs I think and re-established itself. This time it held a lot longer. You could tell the 00z was going to be bad when the core of the cold was sitting there and not dropping....nothing to get the highs out of the west and the 850mbs above freezing over the SE is the result. Euro should be interesting tonight, PARA looks completely different as expected....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Webberweather, in one of your posts you referred to DTs simple analysis on the QBO, and the sun. Can you elaborate? The biggest qualm I have had forecasting this winter is the interaction. I may be oversimplifying but labitzke's work, showed a kind of anti synergistic relationship between the sun and the QBO. The -QBO + SMax or +QBO + Smin = lack of blocking/SSWs. While -QBO + Smin or +QBO + SMax = an increased level of blocking. Is this correct and could this be the case this year?

Burger,

I don't like the west coast ridge quite as much on the 0Z Euro vs. 12Z Euro though it is fairly subtle. Hopefully, that's not a sign that it won't be as good later in the run vs 12Z.

Edit: This has the look of a run that will likely dig more into the SW than the great 12Z Euro. :(

Burger,

I don't like the west coast ridge quite as much on the 0Z Euro vs. 12Z Euro though it is fairly subtle. Hopefully, that's not a sign that it won't be as good later in the run vs 12Z.

Edit: This has the look of a run that will likely dig more into the SW than the great 12Z Euro. :(

Funky look with the PV spreads all across Canada. 

They can't all be great

True. They almost always fluctuate quite a bit. Regardless, I feel there's a decent chance that those great 12Z type runs will be back and maybe soon. :)

Also, this 0Z Euro looks quite a bit better than the 0Z GFS: silver lining. So, it could still get interesting later in this run.

True. They almost always fluctuate quite a bit. Regardless, I feel there's a decent chance that those great 12Z type runs will be back and maybe soon. :)

Also, this 0Z Euro looks quite a bit better than the 0Z GFS: silver lining. So, it could still get interesting later in this run.

That storm @135 is all amped up....gonna see that head NE and help push the PV down for us. Probably gonna look good at 200...but it's gonna be at 200. 

Archived