wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z puts Jacksonville FL in sub freezing temps or durn close to it. Also at 5h it was very close to something big for the SE.  PARA looks like it's primed for a big storm out to 189. 

PV was just making its way into the hudson at 216....18z could have a storm near the end of the run as the cold reloads unless you have it finished already

18z GFS has a reloading pattern in the LR. Love that look. Like last year this allows for storms to sneak in and not totally get suppressed. If we get that look it will be a rocking first half of Jan for the east coast. PARA has a big CAD storm for New Years...might be a little too warm. Doesn't do much with the PV on this run....but also keeps that cutoff in the SW spinning way to long. 

18z GFS has a reloading pattern in the LR. Love that look. Like last year this allows for storms to sneak in and not totally get suppressed. If we get that look it will be a rocking first half of Jan for the east coast. PARA has a big CAD storm for New Years...might be a little too warm. Doesn't do much with the PV on this run....but also keeps that cutoff in the SW spinning way to long. 

Gotta love that 1052 mb HP in NW Kansas at hr 186 on the Para...  :lmao:

yeah that would be the way to go. Like burger said a lot like last year's pattern. And as WOW alluded to if we can get a negative NAO then wow we would b in business.

I'm going to temper my expectations on that. We'll have to see if we can get more model support. GFS has looked a little too good to be true today....but it's uncanny how similar it is to last year. I actually read through a lot of posts last year and many thought winter cancel around Christmas and even up into the 10th....then all of the sudden like today models started going nuts bringing cold air. 

Beautiful +PNA by 360, I'm not sure it breaks down at all...that break down of the ridge looked funky anyway. We could start trending to a +PNA/-NAO pattern in the LR...those indices could literally flip in the next few days. However at this time nothing to keep the PV locked, goes under hudson and slides out E over greenland...we need that block.

Does the SSW actually verify and become reality?? Will the unicorn actually be wrangled? lol.  How did we go from no cold concerns, to suppression worries in one day? Ah, the joys of weeniedom!!

If we keep the GFS/EURO in tune on the vortex split for another two runs or so it'll have my attention. 

PARA starts off as ZR then moves to rain for New Years. Personally I would throw it out since it looks like garbage at 5h....I guess that could happen but it's very unlikely. With the setup it would either be a Miller B....or that energy would come out much sooner and we would have a snow storm. 

I don't know if or when they plan to stop running the old gfs but I  hope we can get an event in time to compare the old vs new gfs. Want to see how good it is with respect to temperature profiles in the low and mid levels during winter events. In the small amount of time i've been following the para run, There certainly is some noticeable differences in how it handles precipitation  and I'm very curious to see how that translates with winter events.

I'm going to temper my expectations on that. We'll have to see if we can get more model support. GFS has looked a little too good to be true today....but it's uncanny how similar it is to last year. I actually read through a lot of posts last year and many thought winter cancel around Christmas and even up into the 10th....then all of the sudden like today models started going nuts bringing cold air.

exactly burger. Last year had a cold November then mild December which made for a gruelling month then the middle to the end of January the hammer dropped. Could that happen again thus year? Maybe but today's trends are very encouraging and hey most of the changes are inside 10 days.

Does the SSW actually verify and become reality?? Will the unicorn actually be wrangled? lol.  How did we go from no cold concerns, to suppression worries in one day? Ah, the joys of weeniedom!!

If we keep the GFS/EURO in tune on the vortex split for another two runs or so it'll have my attention. 

Euro has been advertising the PV split for a while now, last time I remember posting about it was the 19th or maybe before that...it's just woken up, along with the GFS. With the SSW forecasts and the trends as of late, not sure what else one would need other than a fantasy snowstorm to have proof this pattern change is capable of producing but to me, it already is.

I don't know if or when they plan to stop running the old gfs but I  hope we can get an event in time to compare the old vs new gfs. Want to see how good it is with respect to temperature profiles in the low and mid levels during winter events. In the small amount of time i've been following the para run, There certainly is some noticeable differences in how it handles precipitation elements and I'm very curious to see how that translates with winter events.

Having watched it the last few days it does seem to pick up on temp profiles better. For instance it had a better handle on those highs coming into Montana and the Dakotas....you could clearly see on the PARA where it was picking up on the cold air associated with those pushing east and south. GFS seem to not even notice....I'm talking about 140+ hours out though. It also from what I've seen picks up much better on CAD WRT to temps. There are some good things about it....but I think due to the high resolution and a different algorithm with data it spits out a solution the LR that tends to look more funky than the GFS....but Euro does the same thing a lot. We just tend to forget it since it does well in the 4-7 range.  It's looking more and more like it will suffer from the same bias the Euro does of holding back energy in the southwest. 

Archived