Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wasn't Jan 2013 very warm ?

Last year in Jan. we had some of the coldest weather we've had in a very long time. Low of like 6 in CLT....unless I'm confusing it with Feb. 

January of 2014 (the most recent) was the ice box.

***EDIT***

I see I have once again failed to read the entire thread before answering. I am ashamed.

@216 snow storm for the south! 

the resolution is really hurting the evolution of this storm, plenty of energy and moisture and the cold is in place, yet it looks funky and still gives us snow. I can't wait until we get inside 200hrs with the GFS and the Euro or GFS or GGEM, some model is going to spit out a fantasy bomb soon.

the resolution is really hurting the evolution of this storm, plenty of energy and moisture and the cold is in place, yet it looks funky and still gives us snow. I can't wait until we get inside 200hrs with the GFS and the Euro or GFS or GGEM, some model is going to spit out a fantasy bomb soon.

GFS PARA might end up being it. PV pinches off a lobe which is in MT with energy looking like it might be heading east. We shall see. 

To clear up confusion if Don S is throwing in the towel for winter. Here is what he posted a few minutes ago.

Just so there's no confusion, today's lengthy post does not mean that I have given up on winter. I have not thrown in the towel. Although, I think there's some possibility of a warm winter (especially if the AO goes strongly positive and blocking doesn't develop), it's too soon for me to believe that's the most likely outcome. I believe odds still favor a colder than normal January and February, though there will likely be some milder periods. Even the AO forecasts have been very volatile in recent days, so one shouldn't have high confidence in the current one.

In terms of the long-awaited pattern change, the 12z GFS still shows a colder pattern for December 28 through at least much of the first week in January

Archived