• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread II

JoshM

I don't know if or when they plan to stop running the old gfs but I  hope we can get an event in time to compare the old vs new gfs. Want to see how good it is with respect to temperature profiles in the low and mid levels during winter events. In the small amount of time i've been following the para run, There certainly is some noticeable differences in how it handles precipitation  and I'm very curious to see how that translates with winter events.

Something else that I noticed as well and this will be interesting when it switches over...but the LR has better resolution or attempts to anyways.  GFS as we all know after 192 smooths everything out and looses resolution. The GFS PARA does not. Check out the maps below at 5h to see what I mean. 

GFS 18z 

VvOUdFFl.png

GFS PARA 18z

zcpoRSEl.png

While the PARA will come out with just as wild solutions in the LR due to the higher resolution it just looks better. I could see a lot of people thinking it's better simply for that and saying that the GFS was crap...even though they both do crazy things in the LR. We shall see, just found it interesting and since most can't see the LR they probably weren't aware of that. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it the past 36 hours we went from torch, to cutters to icebox!

It would appear so. One thing I like is that before the 00z and 6z run of yesterday models were agreeing a pattern change was coming...it could be now they are finally locking on to the finer details. I do still think we need to get this Christmas storm out of here first. If models are still showing it come Thursday or Friday....game on! 

It would appear so. One thing I like is that before the 00z and 6z run of yesterday models were agreeing a pattern change was coming...it could be now they are finally locking on to the finer details. I do still think we need to get this Christmas storm out of here first. If models are still showing it come Thursday or Friday....game on!

I still think the mjo forecast was throwing a wrench in the models.

Something else that I noticed as well and this will be interesting when it switches over...but the LR has better resolution or attempts to anyways. GFS as we all know after 192 smooths everything out and looses resolution. The GFS PARA does not. Check out the maps below at 5h to see what I mean.

GFS 18z

VvOUdFFl.png

GFS PARA 18z

zcpoRSEl.png

While the PARA will come out with just as wild solutions in the LR due to the higher resolution it just looks better. I could see a lot of people thinking it's better simply for that and saying that the GFS was crap...even though they both do crazy things in the LR. We shall see, just found it interesting and since most can't see the LR they probably weren't aware of that.

Yeah the para from what I understand has better resolution throughout the entire run even in the LR, although not as high after 192, it's still almost double as high as the current gfs after 192...trying to make our own Euro except running it 4x daily (which could be adding to the scrutiny, less data ingesting for 4 runs vs 00z/12z only and multiple times it can be incorrect, para could still roll out on time)

I would suspect if the GFS is correct that you don't get a big "warm up". Probably temps modulate by a little bit which allows for storms to sneak in. Wouldn't be surprised to see some southern sliders that hit GA and SC big with this setup. 

It's what I look for!  Get that rain underneath, then look for the cold.  I've been in drizzle and sporadic rain for two days now, with lots of thunder last night.  This kind of pattern always bodes well for me.  And sure enough looks like some cold is being attracted by the rain pheromones :)   T

I don't know if or when they plan to stop running the old gfs but I  hope we can get an event in time to compare the old vs new gfs. Want to see how good it is with respect to temperature profiles in the low and mid levels during winter events. In the small amount of time i've been following the para run, There certainly is some noticeable differences in how it handles precipitation  and I'm very curious to see how that translates with winter events.

According to NOAA, the parallel GFS has a notably warmer PBL than the older version, this problem may not manifest itself until we're faced w/ a CAD event. It'll also be interesting to see how the Parallel GFS handles tropical cyclones, the cooler mid-levels may help reduce the number of ghost storms we're so accustomed to seeing...

GFS-Mean-Temperature-Bias-Parallel-vs-Op

Very impressive strat maps on the 18z GFS.Goodness.

Entire strat split from 1mb to 100mb.

Don't know if its right but its pretty,very pretty.

Continue on.

Best one I've seen in a long time.   The warming is beginning over N Asia as we speak... here are the 10mb maps

LtByYZa.gif

By 120 hrs the warming begins to spread up and out

037dSNt.gif

By 240 hrs the vortex has begun to split in response to the SSW

4NRwS1Q.gif

By the end of the 18z run at 384 hrs, the vortex is completely split and wave-2 pattern has commenced.

mYJFXTQ.gif

Best one I've seen in a long time. The warming is beginning over N Asia as we speak... here are the 10mb maps

By 120 hrs the warming begins to spread up and out

By 240 hrs the vortex has begun to split in response to the SSW

By the end of the 18z run at 384 hrs, the vortex is completely split and wave-2 pattern has commenced.

so cool, thanks wow!!

Check please?????

seems like if we get the check now we get a bonus gift card for next time, very good trends indeed. People have been saying wait for this weeks systems to get thru and we'd have a better idea. Very excited to see what happens on the models once everything gets OTS.

CaryWx! How's it going? Long time, no post. Magnificent turn-around today, so you're back just in time. :)

Hi Cold!  Back for the high season as usual. Looking forward to some gratuitous snow and cold weather.  Think we're onto something but it will be in 2015. You and packbacker man! Of course tempered with Widre and a smattering of Brick make for a perfect Holiday season....and the pros are keeping us honest. 

Hi Cold! Back for the high season as usual. Looking forward to some gratuitous snow and cold weather. Think we're onto something but it will be in 2015. You and packbacker man! Of course tempered with Widre and a smattering of Brick make for a perfect Holiday season....and the pros are keeping us honest.

Yeah, if you believe the Atari GFS, there's a chance starting about 120 and another chance at around 216 or so. I didn't check the Sega though and I didn't look at the 18z either. Sounds like the general pattern is good though. Hopefully, the overnights will keep the trends!

Archived