CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear from other posters that there are some flakes mixed in.  That suggest that the column is not irrecoverable.  I haven't seen any flakes in Clifton Park, but maybe I missed the heavier bursts.  Freezing rain well north and west of the capital district.  But I still think it's flippable in the heaviest precip.

Where in the interior...SNE or NNE?  

Mostly VT and western MA and NW CT litchfield county...though perhaps C NH down to C MA gets some accumulations as well. I also wouldn't use the word "crush"...its probably like 3-5 inches, though the western slopes probably would get more with the enhanced flow.

Mostly VT and western MA and NW CT litchfield county...though perhaps C NH down to C MA gets some accumulations as well. I also wouldn't use the word "crush"...its probably like 3-5 inches, though the western slopes probably would get more with the enhanced flow.

Wow that's a huge change for here, gets the low near PWM then north of us. That could be more than I'm expecting for tomorrow night.

Per BTV P&C:

Wednesday:  Rain and sleet, becoming all sleet after 9am. High near 33. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

I don't recall ever seeing 2-4 inches of sleet accumulation in a forecast.  This would be interesting to see.

So what is the difference between nowcasting and just reporting what's happening?  They more-or-less appear to be one in the same to me

Nowcasting is sort of slang for very short term forecasting...like a few hours in advance based on changing obversations upstream.

Could we have gotten this much precip on the CP in the form of snow? It would have been incredible. I know we've mentioned the high slipping away before the storm arrived, but would it have precipitated this much if it hadn't? This is crazy.

Archived