CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This mist I'm getting reminds me a little of the Feb 23-28, 2010 "events".  On the mostly dry day between the two events, we were socked and foggy over the deep wet snow with mist much of the day and temps around 32-33. Much colder now at 22 of course.  Then we quickly went to pounding wet snow once event 2 moved in.

The Euro is nice, but the dream amounts of qpf around here came way down. Gone is my 1.7" from the front end...replaced by maybe .9". If that second area of moisture it wraps back is real, it would make up for a lot of it. But that could be gone on the next run. With part II it balloons to 1.8' total here.Somehow I think that's getting cut back a bit on subsequent runs.

The Euro is nice, but the dream amounts of qpf around here came way down. Gone is my 1.7" from the front end...replaced by maybe .9". If that second area of moisture it wraps back is real, it would make up for a lot of it. But that could be gone on the next run. With part II it balloons to 1.8' total here.Somehow I think that's getting cut back a bit on subsequent runs.

Yeah Euro really cut back on that initial band of Fronto forcing lifting northward, and shunted it ENE. Previous runs had us around 1.0" prior to 6z Wed, now it's around 0.5-0.6". As I've been saying that initial band is key as that's where the bulk of accums will happen.

6z GFS has really backed off with only 0.5" from Rangley, ME to Middlebury, VT prior to the mixing. That's essentially an advisory level event here.

You sometimes see the extension of the Whites referred to as the Blue Mountains on some topo maps. It's not widely referenced though. More likely you'll see the Mahoosucs for near Sunday River and maybe the Bigelow Range for near Sugarloaf.

Then farther north you have the Boundary Mountains along the international border. All generally part of the Longfellow Mountains.

Confusing right?

Then on to Katahdin, which stands nearly alone.

Still upper teens here, though that's up from 10F at 9 PM last evening.   I'm guessing at 6-8" of paste followed by sufficient rain-with-catspaws to reduce it to 4" slush.  Still looks to be a net gain in snow depth, if not quality.

Man the HRRR and RAP are incredibly marginal everywhere...though a line from like Sunday River to Sugarloaf and north look to have the highest chance of good snowfall prior to mixed. I'm far from sold here, especially in town. There's sneaky warmth at 950-875mb in a lot of spots that are forecast to get warning snows.

Doing some nowcasting I like the 6z GFS over the 6Z NAM wrt timing and look of the precip shield. However at least in NYC metro/NJ it appears to be underdoing the QPF. (Shows 0.30-0.35" between 12-15z when all three NYC ASOS has 0.22"+ last hour). Looks either overdone or the timing is off for S CT and RI though.

Not bad at all. ULL snows are fun

E5D58461-9278-4C11-A8DB-98555801096D_zps

Good god...19" in Rutland and 15" in BTV? That map doesn't seem to get the east or northeast wind downslopes into those areas.

There is absolutely zero chance of 19" at RUT and only 12" at Rangley.

BTV threw their hands up and said we don't know this morning:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 630 AM EST TUESDAY...MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO MATCH CURRENT

T/TD TRENDS AS OF 600 AM. ALSO RAISED MAX TEMPS 1-2 DEGREES ACROSS

THE SLV TODAY BASED OFF LATEST INFORMATION. REST OF FORECAST

LARGELY UNCHANGED AND WE`RE MOVING INTO A WAIT AND SEE MODE OVER

THE NEXT 12 HOURS TO SEE HOW THIS SYSTEM EVOLVES. YOU CAN SLICE

THE CAKE A HUNDRED DIFFERENT WAYS AND COME UP WITH A HUNDRED

DIFFERENT ANSWERS.

Good god...19" in Rutland and 15" in BTV? That map doesn't seem to get the east or northeast wind downslopes into those areas.

There is absolutely zero chance of 19" at RUT and only 12" at Rangley.

BTV threw their hands up and said we don't know this morning:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 630 AM EST TUESDAY...MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO MATCH CURRENT

T/TD TRENDS AS OF 600 AM. ALSO RAISED MAX TEMPS 1-2 DEGREES ACROSS

THE SLV TODAY BASED OFF LATEST INFORMATION. REST OF FORECAST

LARGELY UNCHANGED AND WE`RE MOVING INTO A WAIT AND SEE MODE OVER

THE NEXT 12 HOURS TO SEE HOW THIS SYSTEM EVOLVES. YOU CAN SLICE

THE CAKE A HUNDRED DIFFERENT WAYS AND COME UP WITH A HUNDRED

DIFFERENT ANSWERS.

Punt formation on first down. Sometimes you have to play for field position.

The weird thing about the NECN snow map is that during the forecast the simulated radar they use doesn't support snow amounts anywhere near that high.  It looked like rain up through to Burlington, VT through the first half of the discussion.  Then up comes the snow map with 6-12 inches for Montpellier to Burlington.

Archived