• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

The model thread is absolutely horrid right now! All of a sudden the NAM is gospel and NYC and LI are going to have a big rain storm. Come on people. Look at the meteorology not modelology. How did that do for us with the last storm? Watch the wind direction . It means absolutely everything.

Prob 1-3" for you and I, then sleet then rain.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a recorded call from my Town of Oyster Bay supervisor saying that a WSW has been issued for most of the town.

I would have thought that the NWS would have pulled the warning by now.

you actually think they are going to pull it before the event begins after the cancelled freezing rain advisory fiasco ? They are going to wait till its obvious after the precip arrives  a warning isn't needed then downgrade it to an advisory.........

you actually think they are going to pull it before the event begins after the cancelled freezing rain advisory fiasco ? They are going to wait till its obvious after the precip arrives  a warning isn't needed then downgrade it to an advisory.........

There could still be 4 inches of snow up on the N shore of Nassau county .  Even if it gets to 35 for a few hours back here . ( I am in Laurel Hollow for this storm ) . The ground is frozen and the first few hours of rain could ice things up a bit  . ( we just 2 Sundays ago what could happen with light rain over frozen ground ) even with temps 33 - 35 .

Then whatever melts after that could be met by a flash freeze on the backside and it could be quick .There could be a 20 degree drop on the backside in 6 hours  on Long Island , so all that slush will freeze on the roads .

Prob 1-3" for you and I, then sleet then rain.

I agree. Though I think it's closer to 3 then 1 as it will come down heavy overnight before going to sleet around daybreak then freezing rain for an hour or 2 then rain. Back to snow with a coating in the afternoon. The snow pack in wantagh is pretty tuff as it has condensed. I think what falls with this storm is all that really melts and we come out of it with the same amount of snow but a wetter more robust pack with the flash freeze. I highly recommend removing any slush because whatever is left will turn to rock!

There could still be 4 inches of snow up on the N shore of Nassau county .  Even if it gets to 35 for a few hours back here . ( I am in Laurel Hollow for this storm ) . The ground is frozen and the first few hours of rain could ice things up a bit  . ( we just 2 Sundays ago what could happen with light rain over frozen ground ) even with temps 33 - 35 .

Then whatever melts after that could be met by a flash freeze on the backside and it could be quick .There could be a 20 degree drop on the backside in 6 hours  on Long Island , so all that slush will freeze on the roads .

I'm thinking easterly winds at 10 to 15mph for about five hours will bring our temperature up to about 35 degrees here.

Perhaps the snow on the front end will be heavy.

The model thread is absolutely horrid right now! All of a sudden the NAM is gospel and NYC and LI are going to have a big rain storm. Come on people. Look at the meteorology not modelology. How did that do for us with the last storm? Watch the wind direction . It means absolutely everything.

I agree that the models shouldn't always be followed run to run. Trends are more important. However, the problems with the last storm actually from NOT following almost all of the models and following only a couple.....it goes both ways

CYSD storm.......Clear Your Storm Drain.

I actually shoveled it out after the last storm when the models were originally were showing the warmer track 

for this storm. The most memorable rain on a big snowpack for me was the late January 1996 event.

All the storm drains were covered and the water in the streets came up over the curbs.

It will be important to remove any leftover slop tomorrow afternoon since anything remaining

will freeze like cement with the temps falling into the teens early Tuesday.

Back to weather banter ..sucks seeing snow out your window. Knowing full well ..within a few hours ..you Will hear pings ..then ..rain ..I just don't want frz rain ..that's dangerous..(I'm over here in the Bronx )

Just enjoy it while it's falling. The wretched warm season is always right around the corner, anyway.

One thing I've noticed over years of (mostly) lurking here is that for some reason wanting freezing rain is a weather taboo.  Tornadoes, no problem, 3 feet of snow, bring it on, but .05" of ice?  Hey I'm not crazy enough to want that!

Secondly, truth be told, I'd bet that a majority of the 'enthusiasts' here privately are disappointed when freezing rain turns to rain.  C'mon everyone, just admit it. Yes, its dangerous, and yes you still prefer it over 'plain rain.'  Projection on my part, perhaps a little, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Speaking in general terms, people really need to remember that there are actual criterion for what constitutes "moderate" and "heavy" snow: < 1/2-mile visibility, and < 1/4-mile visibility, respectively. I'd wager that 7 out of 10 "heavy snow" reports from casual enthusiasts and the general public don't even classify as moderate.

One thing I've noticed over years of (mostly) lurking here is that for some reason wanting freezing rain is a weather taboo.  Tornadoes, no problem, 3 feet of snow, bring it on, but .05" of ice?  Hey I'm not crazy enough to want that!

Secondly, truth be told, I'd bet that a majority of the 'enthusiasts' here privately are disappointed when freezing rain turns to rain.  C'mon everyone, just admit it. Yes, its dangerous, and yes you still prefer it over 'plain rain.'  Projection on my part, perhaps a little, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Was anyone on this board around for the ice storm in January 1978? I developed a whole new respect for freezing rain after that one. It basically destroyed the power grid, I think we were without electricity (and thus heat, since we had no backup) for almost a week.

Archived