• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

Speaking in general terms, people really need to remember that there are actual criterion for what constitutes "moderate" and "heavy" snow: < 1/2-mile visibility, and < 1/4-mile visibility, respectively. I'd wager that 7 out of 10 "heavy snow" reports from casual enthusiasts and the general public don't even classify as moderate.

I post this for just about every event.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As powderfreak in NE often says.... Deep deep winter here right now. We currently have a real snow pack with multiple layers. Just like last year. I have a feeling we aren't done and are on the way to a 50+ top ten winter

Let's not get crazy here another 50+" winter is highly unlikely. I would aim for like 35" though for LI I guess 50+ is certainly possible.

GFS gets ridiculously cold in the long-range...even Savannah GA has -20C 850s...NYC is flirting with -30C at 850mb.

That AK block looks great on the 0z GFS...classic -EPO to deliver cold and snow chances.

When does it NOT get ridiculously cold in the LR? Even a couple days ago NYC was progged to get to 0 this morning by the GFS amongst other models (I believe the Euro had us down there too), and it was a balmy 13 (and starting rising again before sunrise).

When does it NOT get ridiculously cold in the LR? Even a couple days ago NYC was progged to get to 0 this morning by the GFS amongst other models (I believe the Euro had us down there too), and it was a balmy 13 (and starting rising again before sunrise).

Yeah, but had yesterday's storm system tracked as far south as we first anticipated, I think those lows would have been realized. I made it down to -9.2F overnight, which is itself quite impressive when you consider how far north the thermal gradient got pulled yesterday.

agree-it's often overdone in the long range...I've seen the Euro put out ice age #'s and then slowly warm up as we approach the forecast period.

Archived