NYC JFK: 22.0"

Newark: 21.2"

NYC Central Park: 20.1"

Washington Dulles: 10.3"

Baltimore BWI: 6.8"

Atlantic City: 5.2"

Philadelphia: 5.2"

Washington National: 3.6"

Even in Long Beach, they're probably at 25" or over. Assuming 14-15" from the storm a week ago, 5-6" from yesterday, and 6" from the smaller clippers early in Jan, that adds up to 25" or so. Central Park should be at least 25-26". 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even in Long Beach, they're probably at 25" or over. Assuming 14-15" from the storm a week ago, 5-6" from yesterday, and 6" from the smaller clippers early in Jan, that adds up to 25" or so. Central Park should be at least 25-26". [/quote

27 here and no way we have more then cpk. We completely missed the little event last week. And cpk really has 6" from the first half of yesterday alone while we had 3. And only 15" from the "blizzard"

I think CPK probably undermeasured also...but those 3 spots are all within 2 inches of each other; LGA is the outlier. 

The constant bitching between Yanksfan and ag3 needs to stop...for good.

No one cares where the 850c line is 6 days out.

Also, I have no idea why people can't get it into their heads that the paid European maps are not supposed to be posted here under any circumstances. Dr. Maue is aware of the issue and will be cracking down on these posters soon. So if you like your WxBell subscription, I would probably stop.

The ECMWF center just needs to release the data for free already, paid meteorology products are becoming a dinosaur quickly in the developed nations at least.

Clear skies, light winds, snow on the ground...cold...Westhampton 6 F, Upton BNL 9 F @ 9 PM...with the anticyclone parked over Hatteras the next 10 hours...might keep winds down enough & skies clear enough for sub zero reading(s).

The ECMWF center just needs to release the data for free already, paid meteorology products are becoming a dinosaur quickly in the developed nations at least.

The weather affects everyone...and if people are willing to fork over x number of dollars a month to see these maps, don't expect the organization that distributes them to forfeit revenue.  If someone is willing to pay $100 for something, you don't give it to them for free.   

I think CPK probably undermeasured also...but those 3 spots are all within 2 inches of each other; LGA is the outlier.

Well KNYC and JFK are known for poor measurements. EWR missed out on the late January event (3.5" I think).

It was due to you pretending slightly warm abnormalities = torch and/or no chance of frozen precip.

Really...

Euro Kool Aide with snow goggles= reality bites  :lol:

By the way... hows that Strat Warming thing working??? :axe: 

and why are our soap box forecasters   M.I.A. ?

The constant bitching between Yanksfan and ag3 needs to stop...for good.

No one cares where the 850c line is 6 days out.

Also, I have no idea why people can't get it into their heads that the paid European maps are not supposed to be posted here under any circumstances. Dr. Maue is aware of the issue and will be cracking down on these posters soon. So if you like your WxBell subscription, I would probably stop.

I don't know the policy at wxbell but I e-mailed the eurowx site to ask about their policy on posting images.  My understanding is that maps generated directly from data output by the european center cannot be posted, but maps which are generated using in house algorithms can.  This would include the snowfall accumulation maps. I should mention that they would prefer no maps be posted but my feeling is they are getting a lot of exposure and promotion when some of the maps are posted.

Really...

Euro Kool Aide with snow goggles= reality bites :lol:

By the way... hows that Strat Warming thing working??? :axe:

and why are our soap box forecasters M.I.A. ?

I think you're talking to the wrong person. I'm usually conservative. And I've talked about strat warming maybe once ever.

I don't know the policy at wxbell but I e-mailed the eurowx site to ask about their policy on posting images.  My understanding is that maps generated directly from data output by the european center cannot be posted, but maps which are generated using in house algorithms can.  This would include the snowfall accumulation maps. I should mention that they would prefer no maps be posted but my feeling is they are getting a lot of exposure and promotion when some of the maps are posted.

JB and Mike Barak love when their maps are used they believe it drives users. Ryan is hesitant because he believes its intellectual property.

The issues of posting them randomly ( if at all ) have more to do with board policy.

There are a lot of moving parts. So the board has the final say.

Well KNYC and JFK are known for poor measurements. EWR missed out on the late January event (3.5" I think).

Islip & Bridgeport had notoriously bad measurements for decades (Bridgeport record of course much longer); starting in 2007 measurements at both stations have been pretty good; though the last couple of years I'm actually inclined to think Islip has been erring on the side of overmeasurement.  Newark usually seems good; though I've never actually been to the airport to get a sense of the area.  Central Park has been unreliable for decades; at the start of the 2010's they seemed to actually be running a little high with some of their numbers; now they are back to the usual undermeasuring.  JFK & LGA seem to have been undermeasuring for at least 10 years; LGA seems to be moving towards good measurements this season.

JB and Mike Barak love when their maps are used they believe it drives users. Ryan is hesitant because he believes its intellectual property.

The issues of posting them randomly ( if at all ) have more to do with board policy.

One would assume that the posting of these user friendly (and colorful) graphics on weather forums such as this one and across social media has generated a great deal of revenue for WxBell (not just Euro maps but any of them).

That's probably why they don't fix their unrealistic snowfall accumulation maps.

Does anyone know why earthlight stopped posting in here? Is he still a moderator? Others have done a great job on here but he's a pretty big loss not being here :/....I remember him and Tombo doing the pbp together of the overnight euro back in the old days ...when philly and NYC weren't split

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know why earthlight stopped posting in here? Is he still a moderator? Others have done a great job on here but he's a pretty big loss not being here :/....I remember him and Tombo doing the pbp together of the overnight euro back in the old days ...when philly and NYC weren't split

Sent from my iPhone

I've been wondering this for a while. My guess is that this place was too much to handle.

Very unfortunate. I remember reading his PBP posts on here for the Boxing Day Blizzard. Awesome person and extremely knowledgeable.

I've been wondering this for a while. My guess is that this place was too much to handle.

Very unfortunate. I remember reading his PBP posts on here for the Boxing Day Blizzard. Awesome person and extremely knowledgeable.

He was last active Jan 30th, so he's been signing in.  Definitely a huge loss, need him to do some regulatin' in the model threads etc.

Archived