CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Eve storm obs and nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like just to my NW was a different world. Berkeley Springs can't be 20 air miles from me and WVClimo posted they had a foot. Hard to imagine...and at a lower elevation.

Those were reports from the LWX Public Information Statement. Seems kinda stunning. Everything had to have come together perfectly there. The 19" Paw Paw report is even more amazing, considering the liquid the storm put down.

I kinda got shafted compared to your totals, but hard to complain about an all-day snow event in November.

Drove up to sugarloaf area from Bethesda. It got more scenic as I got to germantown on 270...more stickage on trees and the sides of the road etc. Was hoping for a little more from the ull but oh well.

Yeah, I was noticing the gradient in this storm wasn't as sharp as in some past ones. That's a pretty gradual gradient from T at DCA to ~1/4" in DC proper to roughly 0.5" here (North Bethesda) to 1+" in Gaithersburg to 1.7" in Clarksburg. We'll see what Damascus ends up with, but I doubt it goes well over 2". And going the other direction, it's from T at DCA to 0.3"-0.5" in Arlington to ~0.9" in Falls Church to 1-2" at IAD, to ~2" in Leesburg.

It looks like the lower elevations went as expected, but the mid-tier of higher elevations under-performed by an inch or so compared to expectations. 

Yeah, I was noticing the gradient in this storm wasn't as sharp as in some past ones. That's a pretty gradual gradient from T at DCA to ~1/4" in DC proper to roughly 0.5" here (North Bethesda) to 1+" in Gaithersburg to 1.7" in Clarksburg. We'll see what Damascus ends up with, but I doubt it goes well over 2". And going the other direction, it's from T at DCA to 0.3"-0.5" in Arlington to ~0.9" in Falls Church to 1-2" at IAD, to ~2" in Leesburg.

It looks like the lower elevations went as expected, but the mid-tier of higher elevations under-performed by an inch or so compared to expectations. 

My eyeball guess is a little over 2"...

Those were reports from the LWX Public Information Statement. Seems kinda stunning. Everything had to have come together perfectly there. The 19" Paw Paw report is even more amazing, considering the liquid the storm put down.

I kinda got shafted compared to your totals, but hard to complain about an all-day snow event in November.

I've seen valleys do better in these types of snows before. I guess a bit of cold air filters in and gets stuck. I measured 3.5" earlier and it melted to 1/2" of water....lot of water for a little snow. I'm sure it was due to melting and compaction.

One half inch of snow in Dale City on lawns, car tops, house tops, bushes. The snow first started sticking on the backs of fallen leaves.

I'm impressed. This is the day before Thanksgiving and I expected plain rain throughout the storm. 

I remember in 1989 we got 3 inches of snow for Thanksgiving, then 6 inches on December 7 and 7 inches on December 13. Then the weather turned craptastic in late December and January 1990 was rotten to the core.

Wow, 19 inches of snow in Paw Paw! I just might have to go up there and show those folks how to dig snow.

Absolutely! I don't think I've been in the true mega band since 2000, i got heavy snow in 2009 and 2010 but......

We do tail end bands well in the city it seems. Maybe notthinf crazy but some brief good stuff. This one was meh. Melting snow prob enchanted radar look. Check out the Doppler estimates lol.

I'm going with an awesome heavy snow (at times) car topper for my day.  Some grass coverage too, but pretty weak mostly.  The way I see it....great practice for whats yet to come over the next 4 months.  Nice job on analysis and obs to the people who know who they are.   ;)   Cheers!

Archived