joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve storm obs and nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended the storm with a solid 6 inches on the mark.   Snow was too wet and heavy for my snowblower, so I had to do our 750foot drive by hand.  Sore and tired.... gonna sit on the porch and have a few cold ones.  

Just a suggestion for the slush - buy an old Gravely walk behind tractor with the 210 snowblower attachment (nick name for the 210 is the "snow cannon").  It will take care of the slushy stuff for you, no problem.  I've literally pumped saturated slush with mine like a big water pump, and they are cheaper than the new fangled snow blowers you find these days and will last forever.  Have two walk behinds - a 1962 and a 69, plus too many attachments to list.  Happy to provide more info if you'd like.

I also have a Kubota BX23, with front blade and wing plow.  Used it today to get it setup for the Winter.  Hope this is just the first of many events for the season. 

Yeah it took me and my daughter (A whiny girl) 4.5 hours.  Only reason I did it all is I am going to leave to drive tomorrow morning at 6 am to surprise my mom at the nursing home in Arlington with a few gifts.  (She broke her hip last week and can not come out to spend Thanksgiving with us.  )  Then be back for making our dinner.   Gonna be a busy day.  

Not only is this winter going to be a back to back snowy winter like last year, it will be WORSE than last winter. It will be colder than last winter, and it will be even snowier than last winter. Ian's dream of measuring 20 inches in a single blizzard this winter will not only be fully realized, it will be exceeded. All of us snow enthusiasts will be absolutely beside ourselves with joy like never before.

Not only is this winter going to be a back to back snowy winter like last year, it will be WORSE than last winter. It will be colder than last winter, and it will be even snowier than last winter. Ian's dream of measuring 20 inches in a single blizzard this winter will not only be fully realized, it will be exceeded. All of us snow enthusiasts will be absolutely beside ourselves with joy like never before.

Yes.

Just a suggestion for the slush - buy an old Gravely walk behind tractor with the 210 snowblower attachment (nick name for the 210 is the "snow cannon"). It will take care of the slushy stuff for you, no problem. I've literally pumped saturated slush with mine like a big water pump, and they are cheaper than the new fangled snow blowers you find these days and will last forever. Have two walk behinds - a 1962 and a 69, plus too many attachments to list. Happy to provide more info if you'd like.

I also have a Kubota BX23, with front blade and wing plow. Used it today to get it setup for the Winter. Hope this is just the first of many events for the season.

I did a lot of landscaping and lawn service work as a young'n and Gravely is the best!

I did a lot of landscaping and lawn service work as a young'n and Gravely is the best!

Yup - love mine and even though they can't compete with the Kubota and wing plow for most tasks, I can't contemplate getting rid of them.  You can check out my Kubota setup on Youtube - search on "BX23 and wing plow", there's several videos.  However, when the heavy stuff gets too deep or too heavy to push even with the Kubota (like in Feb 10) I get out the Gravely/snow cannon and blow a couple of swaths to make room for the Kubota to take it the rest of the way.  People stop and gawk at the blower pumping out a rainbow of snow 40+ feet high.  Pretty amazing from only 12 hp, especially considering it's nearly 50 years old. 

I've noticed over the years that the area off padonia road around jenifer road sometimes does considerably better than nearby surrounding areas.

Yep, I live very close to that area, it sure helps that it has almost twice the elevation of the area around York Rd (where it was just a dusting as of 9pm last night).

It made a huge difference in marginal events like yesterday, 3/6/13, and 12/5/09.

Yesterday I couldn't understand the low totals from the WV panhandle since I live so close. I can today. Drove up to Martinsburg this afternoon...left a good 3" here at the house and about 1 mile from 81 (which is only 4.5 miles from the house) went from solid cover like I have here to virtually nothing in the space of about 1/2 mile. No elevation change....crazy, and I have no explanation. There were reports yesterday of a foot only about 7 miles west of me. Think I'll drive out that way in the morning just to see the difference.

Archived