joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALB and BTV want 50% of their seasonal averages prior to Christmas. That'd be a cool stat.

You want to know what would be even cooler? Having attained 50% of mean seasonal snowfall at ALB and BTV by about St Paddy's day, while amassing about 250% of mean annual cirrus between now and then.

Well the populous here is very weary of big NW trends at this point based on the past few systems. Just like recent years where we've seen a bunch of sharp SE trends burn us...you start to get it into your head that it's going to happen over and over.

So even if the model runs stay off-shore to the SE, no one is going to want to hear a peep out of CNE/NNE complaining because they are waiting for that NW shift.

I don't like the notion of 'seasonal trends'.  To be sure one may find compelling reasons in the atmosphere/modeling to suggest that things will track in a certain way, but I don't think it's wise to say things will do so based on what prior systems have done.

But, we've got another day and a half or so before we're in the timeframe I'd call it a real threat.  Fun to track at this point regardless.

Well the populous here is very weary of big NW trends at this point based on the past few systems. Just like recent years where we've seen a bunch of sharp SE trends burn us...you start to get it into your head that it's going to happen over and over.

So even if the model runs stay off-shore to the SE, no one is going to want to hear a peep out of CNE/NNE complaining because they are waiting for that NW shift.

Well these srn streams are notorious for NW shifts. It doesn't mean this has to shift, because the s/w in question may shear apart etc..but I'd rather where it is right now.

Wxrisk.com

6 hours ago ·

** UPDATE 0Z MODAY EURO MODEL HOLDS COURSE ... DOES NOT CHANGE.. STILL SHOWS MAJOR EAST CALST WINTER STORM WITH HEAVY SNOW AMOUNTS JUST to the W..NW of I-95 **

Honestly it did change north of NYC but it's only one OP run. I really think he is more of a mid Atlantic met, I got into it with him on Facebook about the Thanksgiving storm because his snow map was too conservative for my area and he flipped out but In the end I was closer to being correct than he was.

Honestly it did change north of NYC but it's only one OP run. I really think he is more of a mid Atlantic met, I got into it with him on Facebook about the Thanksgiving storm because his snow map was too conservative for my area and he flipped out but In the end I was closer to being correct than he was.

Don't know why I'm doing this but literal interpretation is a good hit for the southern 2/3 of CT.

I would be perfectly happy/take my chances with approximately half of the euro ens members right now. The op and the mean might be a tad southeast, but there are plenty of members that deliver the goods.

Just looked at the entire pantheon of guidance relative to this event for the first time, and was surprised to see how flat everything is.

Fine by me.

I'd rather smoke cirrus, than see the picnic tables decorated in white for the holiday.

Just looked at the entire pantheon of guidance relative to this event for the first time, and was surprised to see how flat everything is.

Fine by me.

I'd rather smoke cirrus, than see the picnic tables decorated in white for the holiday.

it's not even worth discussing in much detail at this timeframe.  Wait till about Wednesday and we'll talk more about possible tracks. There is a storm modeled in the general timeframe just prior to Christmas.  Done.

He has to enable spell check.....

He's as bad as me when I'm posting from my phone.

Difference is our concerns are warranted. Southern stream systems are notorious for this....it's not just about a seasonal trend.

I guess I just don't see why models wouldn't incorporate that into their output.  If it's something that 'always' happens, it shouldn't be something that escapes the modeling.  Note that I recognize the uses/limitations of predictive models as I use them in my work.

By Thursday the fears out here will have transitioned from fretting about a fringe job to how much snow do we get before the flip to rain. lol.

LOL.

it's not even worth discussing in much detail at this timeframe.  Wait till about Wednesday and we'll talk more about possible tracks. There is a storm modeled in the general timeframe just prior to Christmas.  Done.

I'll talk about whichever system I want, when I want.

No one needs a bombastic moderator.

Southern systems being modeled as surpressed at extended leads is probably the safest bet.

Fact, not opinion.

Done.

Fine by me.

Yeah guidance overall is pretty flat. I think thats what we need right now to have any shot.

We all know how these trend closer to verification time.

I would rather this whiff than get 3+" of rain again.

:weenie:    :clap:

Awesome Ray!  I may put that one in my sig later today. 

I mean, I like Bob, but it's not as though I was talking amounts....I don't think preliminary qualitative conjecture is unwaranted within a week of go-time...especially considering the enormous travel ramifications at play.

Sorry, but....

Archived