CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MOS numbers are pretty poor for the whole DC/Dulles area if you want a good snow tho maybe still too much climo in them. This early you really do want some great dynamics jacking things up and we're not quite there as is it would seem. I think in theory this one has a better cold source than Snowquester. Edges of the season are always going to heavily favor elevation and 2 degrees can be the diff between nice grass accum and total white rain.. so in that sense it's similar to that storm, and a lot of others.

MOS numbers are pretty poor for the whole DC/Dulles area if you want a good snow tho maybe still too much climo in them. This early you really do want some great dynamics jacking things up and we're not quite there as is it would seem. I think in theory this one has a better cold source than Snowquester. Edges of the season are always going to heavily favor elevation and 2 degrees can be the diff between nice grass accum and total white rain.. so in that sense it's similar to that storm, and a lot of others.

However result may still be this. 

10303384_279984565544501_675487324740213

However result may still be this. 

10303384_279984565544501_675487324740213

He's certainly not coming here this time lol.  Perhaps expectations for that storm were unrealistic. A forecast for 10" in the city the night before definitely isn't where we stand now.

It may not be the exact setup as March 2013 but I think the result will be close

Could easily go down that way. Typical burbs that struggle will likely struggle (mine included) unless the dynamics and a hard hit and run scenario plays out. Euro likes that 12-18z window for a possible hard hit and run. Moderate snow won't do it. 

This is going to look a bit like the March 5-6, 2013 event. BL is too marginal and fighting warmer ground although sun angle more favorable now. Snow accumulation gradient will likely be very tight with solid accumulation over higher elevations only. Min and Max potentials are very wide due to the rain/snow line uncertainty. It is tough to pick up good accumulations in lower elevations when the pre-conditions are not favorable...is relying on Dynamic and wet bulb cooling, rates etc. it's a more progressive system as well. Likely to see steadiest precip in one big blast over a 6 hour period or so. I wouldn't get excited about this one unless you are along the mason Dixon line or west of the Blue Ridge. I think all areas will change to snow but stickage will be tough within the Beltway.

The 18Z GFS looks unfavorable for much snow accumulation below 1000 ft.

It doesn't seem that boundary layer temperatures will favor snow until late in the storm when the 700 mb levels will be drying out.

The 18Z GFS looks unfavorable for much snow accumulation below 1000 ft.

It doesn't seem that boundary layer temperatures will favor snow until late in the storm when the 700 mb levels will be drying out.

Don't agree.  If the GFS verifies, accumulations would be elevation and rate dependent, but the profile would support snow fairly early on.  This is the 12z Wednesday skew-t from the north side of DC.  Wet-bulb zero is around 975mb. 

post-51-0-14256200-1416878324_thumb.png

I figure if it does actually snow hard I could get 3-4 inches but I think it is equally likely I get drizzle for a few hours and have to look at pictures of some random town in VA that "expected nothing" and got a surprise 7 inches.

Just curious what your definition of a random town in VA is. Is it like Kingsville or Oakland in MD? Temps issues should be expected with a November storm. And like I say every year at this time. You have the right to choose what elevation you live at. 

I thought so as well... but was waiting to see if anyone else thought that/saw that

Hard to say especially after a couple glasses of wine (haha!), but it does look a tad colder at 850mb.  This is going by the NCEP MAG page, so fine details are perhaps not as clear.  Surface, kind of hard to say, looks very similar to me, but I'm willing it to look slightly colder.  Surface low looks more or less in the same place, though the 21Z SREF low appears more consolidated and a bit stronger compared to 15Z.

Archived