CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I am overly excited about this storm at this point but I will appreciate whatever falls.  Heck I liked 3/6/13 and that was mostly snow TV during the daylight hours.

Big difference is that 3/6/2013 had very high (though perhaps unrealistic in hindsight) expectations.  So it was a huge let-down, plus all the gov't and other closures looked really bad to be honest, from an optical standpoint.  And that was the last legitimate shot we had in a winter that was crappy (make that the 2nd or 3rd in a row that sucked), so it was a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

This event, it's the beginning of the season, still late November, and I don't think there are high expectations.  Not the same sense of "desperation" like March 2013.  So even if we just get some snow TV or a slush coating in most areas, it won't be as upsetting.

Can't say I am overly excited about this storm at this point but I will appreciate whatever falls.  Heck I liked 3/6/13 and that was mostly snow TV during the daylight hours.

I felt way more excited about this 12 hours ago.  Seems today the trend has been a weaker system, less amped and thus less dynamics and precip in our area.  The euro cutting back on precip in our area from 1.2 to about .8 was a red flag.  The UK was still a nice amped solution and so was the euro control run, and the GGEM was a nice hit, but some of the other guidance would be a pretty random 3-4" type storm in this area.  Still time for this to turn around.  I wouldnt worry much about the GFS, it has issues with precip on the NW edge but I don't want to see any more east movement or weakening from the other guidance tonight. 

IIRC, 3/6/13 had skew-t's that were basically isothermal at 0C from about 875 down the surface with the surface a bit warmer.  Skew-t's for this look colder (by 1-2C) throughout that layer.  Anyone save those from 3/6/13?

I just looked back through the last model thread before the event.  I found a saved IAD sounding but it wasn't a good comparison for DCA.  

Why do we keep talking about 3/6/13?  Isn't the closest analog still 12/9/09? 

Neither is really the best, but I hear you and kind of agree.  Part of that is psychological, as I said a bit above, March 2013 was almost desperation after 2+ winters of futility and we failed big time after a fair amount of hype.  Dec. 2009 is perhaps more apt given the time of year is similar, and we're not looking at the end of the season through the lens of a long period of futility before that.  I can see similar gradients of snow happening in this event as we saw 12/5/2009.

Short memories.. heartache. Good recipe. I'd still that 500 low any day though lol.

I agree.  If it were a month later, things might be looking a bit different thermally with that set-up.  And it probably wouldn't be 75 degrees today in the parallel universe of being a month from now (then again....well...it was last year!).

IIRC, 3/6/13 had skew-t's that were basically isothermal at 0C from about 875 down the surface with the surface a bit warmer.  Skew-t's for this look colder (by 1-2C) throughout that layer.  Anyone save those from 3/6/13?

At least we had a bit of a saturated snow growth layer with that one. That H5 still seems odd to me.

post-741-0-69474000-1416880409_thumb.png

My main complaint about 3/6/13, other than the fact that it was a pretty bad bust, was that it was so sloppy, the precip couldn't stay in the form of snow, and there were a lot of spots (including trees) where it didn't stick. I'd be totally fine with a slightly colder 3/6/13 even with the same 3" of snow... as long as it accumulates like a normal snowstorm and isn't just a sloppy mess.

Big difference is that 3/6/2013 had very high (though perhaps unrealistic in hindsight) expectations.  So it was a huge let-down, plus all the gov't and other closures looked really bad to be honest, from an optical standpoint.  And that was the last legitimate shot we had in a winter that was crappy (make that the 2nd or 3rd in a row that sucked), so it was a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

This event, it's the beginning of the season, still late November, and I don't think there are high expectations.  Not the same sense of "desperation" like March 2013.  So even if we just get some snow TV or a slush coating in most areas, it won't be as upsetting.

yeah, you brought up some good points about the psycho differences.

Archived