CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes me root for the heaviest banding to set up over DCA. A 6 hr period of 1"/hr without lulls would easily stick @ 35*. 

It's part weenie but I would still hedge toward reaching potential given how things have played out the last yr or so. Issue for us of course is we need so much neg departure just to get there.  If we are snow and it goes heavy we'll probably cool to near freezing.. perhaps just above.

I do agree with mitch it's easier to see things go warm than much colder but that's almost always the case here. I think if anything we should see things deamp/shift east a smidge which wouldn't be terrible for us at this stage. 

It's part weenie but I would still hedge toward reaching potential given how things have played out the last yr or so. Issue for us of course is we need so much neg departure just to get there.  If we are snow and it goes heavy we'll probably cool to near freezing.. perhaps just above.

I do agree with mitch it's easier to see things go warm than much colder but that's almost always the case here. I think if anything we should see things deamp/shift east a smidge which wouldn't be terrible for us at this stage. 

Exact details are tricky with moisture laden systems. After re-reading the 2/12-13 threads it was pretty funny as to how our disco is going now. There's always a problem here. Pure white smoke on frozen ground can happen but almost never on the margins of the season (except for last March, that was pretty nuts). 

If we go back through every flawed event thread the common theme is always rates to overcome some sort of warmth between surface and 850's. At least we appear to have 925's on our side. That can only help cool things IF heavy precip comes in. 

Another common theme with miller A's is if the euro is steady @ 2-3 days, don't let other jumpy guidance cloud your thinking. Only rely on the GFS if it locked into something first. And it does sometimes. When it doesn't it plays catchup almost every time. I'm preaching to the choir with you of course but sometimes I think all the noise causes way more problems than the output is worth. 

This is going to look a bit like the March 5-6, 2013 event. BL is too marginal and fighting warmer ground although sun angle more favorable now. Snow accumulation gradient will likely be very tight with solid accumulation over higher elevations only. Min and Max potentials are very wide due to the rain/snow line uncertainty. It is tough to pick up good accumulations in lower elevations when the pre-conditions are not favorable...is relying on Dynamic and wet bulb cooling, rates etc. it's a more progressive system as well. Likely to see steadiest precip in one big blast over a 6 hour period or so. I wouldn't get excited about this one unless you are along the mason Dixon line or west of the Blue Ridge. I think all areas will change to snow but stickage will be tough within the Beltway.

Maue added these (NWS forecasts) to WxBell... handy. Surprisingly not too messed up on a lot of CWA boundaries too. I miss NW CT a little.

UFXy7sA.png

icAi0Ta.png

Pretty much what I had in mind. 2-4 for most of western MD with more possible above 800ft.  Maybe bring the 1-3 down to Bethesda and NW DC.

This is going to look a bit like the March 5-6, 2013 event. BL is too marginal and fighting warmer ground although sun angle more favorable now. Snow accumulation gradient will likely be very tight with solid accumulation over higher elevations only. Min and Max potentials are very wide due to the rain/snow line uncertainty. It is tough to pick up good accumulations in lower elevations when the pre-conditions are not favorable...is relying on Dynamic and wet bulb cooling, rates etc. it's a more progressive system as well. Likely to see steadiest precip in one big blast over a 6 hour period or so. I wouldn't get excited about this one unless you are along the mason Dixon line or west of the Blue Ridge. I think all areas will change to snow but stickage will be tough within the Beltway.

I mostly agree about the flaws but I don't think Mar 5-6 is a good comparison. We minimized potential in just about every way. It simply went wrong for us. The closed ULL behaved in a way that nobody expected. Not the same setup this time. If the precip is a bumrush and hits hard for 6 hours, there's definite upside here. Even with the flaws.

This is the one time I'm hoping things line up right. Watching chaos unfold on the roads would he be pure bliss.

Archived