Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

This was my Facebook forecast 10 minutes ago for DC

2pm, Monday Update on Wednesday storm - Still low to medium confidence. Models are starting to converge on a low to medium impact event for immediate DC metro. I think we start as rain in the early morning hours, changing over to all snow late morning. Tapering off early evening. Temps around 34 during the core of the event. We will probably never hit freezing. I like a general 1-3" for DC proper. With 1" amounts downtown and increasing as you move north and west. Very little street stickage though not out of the question during heavier bursts. Mostly a cosmetic wet event that sticks to cartops, decks, and grass.. Even if we get really heavy snow that is disruptive for a while, it should melt some during lighter periods, and possibly mix with rain. Thanksgiving looks cloudy but dry, maybe a flurry, low 40s in the afternoon.

Nice informative forecast.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems on point, but are you adjusting the "impact" at all for the fact that this is one of the heaviest travel days of the year..?

This was my Facebook forecast 10 minutes ago for DC

2pm, Monday Update on Wednesday storm - Still low to medium confidence. Models are starting to converge on a low to medium impact event for immediate DC metro. I think we start as rain in the early morning hours, changing over to all snow late morning. Tapering off early evening. Temps around 34 during the core of the event. We will probably never hit freezing. I like a general 1-3" for DC proper. With 1" amounts downtown and increasing as you move north and west. Very little street stickage though not out of the question during heavier bursts. Mostly a cosmetic wet event that sticks to cartops, decks, and grass.. Even if we get really heavy snow that is disruptive for a while, it should melt some during lighter periods, and possibly mix with rain. Thanksgiving looks cloudy but dry, maybe a flurry, low 40s in the afternoon.

I agree. The timing on the models right now also seems similar to 12/5/09 in terms of the window of best accumulations. Looking through spotter reports, it looks like 12/5/09 was 0.7-1" liquid in the immediate metro DC area. So, as long as the surface temp forecasts hold (33-34 at the height), I would expect pretty similar results. We had street coverage of snow anywhere NW of the beltway in 12/5/09-- did the snow stick on the streets in Tenleytown?

probably a little at times.. just south of there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlivingston/4430369020/in/set-72157623443621264

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlivingston/4430370714/in/set-72157623443621264

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlivingston/4430368432/in/set-72157623443621264

Seems on point, but are you adjusting the "impact" at all for the fact that this is one of the heaviest travel days of the year..?

well if we're talking about i95, I'd be pretty surprised if any significant amount accumulated on the road, even with heavy rates. Talking about a road that will very wet, totally covered in holiday traffic traveling fairly slowly. 

Masco is a huge weenie like all of us here, but he's great at keeping it real. On the flip side, Accu-hype went 3-6 down the 95 corridor. 6-12 N&W. Hah. Shocker.

To be fair...they don't add a range for lower than 12 but more than 6 like 6-7 falls within 6-12 so they get the 6-12 range. Doesnt mean they are caling for up to 12.

I agree. The timing on the models right now also seems similar to 12/5/09 in terms of the window of best accumulations. Looking through spotter reports, it looks like 12/5/09 was 0.7-1" liquid in the immediate metro DC area. So, as long as the surface temp forecasts hold (33-34 at the height), I would expect pretty similar results. We had street coverage of snow anywhere NW of the beltway in 12/5/09-- did the snow stick on the streets in Tenleytown?

I was in MTP, and there might have been some side slush briefly, but generally no street or sidewalk stickage..1.5"

This is the 3rd straight run that the QPF has increased on the SREFs... its either onto something or smoking something... also I believe it was a touch colder

We've trended wetter and colder for 1.5 yrs. This won't be any different. 

Well since you said that Ian, I'm not sure if you're serious but thats not a completely false statement. SREF's are beautiful, but that means little. 

I believe we will maximize potential or close. I'm just not totally sure that's good enough around me but mapgirl will be giddy. 

Archived