joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can remember a few storms when living around rockville/olney that accumulated with temps 33-35.  when it lightened, it became more of a sleet/freezing rain mix, but switched over quickly with rates.  it can and does happen with a good track.

In this case, the warm layer is at the surface, so light precip would be rain instead of IP/ZR.  

GEFS are nearly useless now.  

Not feeling that bad now about missing this one. Still hope yall have fun. It's a relief and a burden not being emotionally invested. I think Matt's formula is pretty good down here. FDK and HGR and MPGRL look to be the hot zones.

FDK might have issues with elevation since it's in a valley, otherwise I agree.

this may be my biggest November storm here.  Only need more than 4" to beat.

years ago I had coop data for westminster and manchester that went back to the 20's and there were some very nice November storms back in the day.  A few 10" plus events and one that was even around 20" or so way back in like the 40's or 50's.  Unfortunately I lost the data when a computer crashed and have yet to find it again. 

During marginal events like this, FDK fails.  The Frederick Valley usually has warm air trapped in it and without good CAA, it never leaves.

Huge difference between downtown and those of us who live just outside. 

My favorite example of the FDK valley effect.

I believe this is the storm that hit around Halloween 2011.

post-114-0-39646700-1416852548_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me.. or as good as it can be. 

I think SV may actually underdo on their snow algorithm heh. 

I don't think their algorithm is very sophisticated...I doubt they count heavy snow at 34....but that said, their snow line did come east from 0z which indicates that this run is slightly colder...which makes sense...

I don't think their algorithm is very sophisticated...I doubt they count heavy snow at 34....but that said, their snow line did come east from 0z which indicates that this run is slightly colder...which makes sense...

I got a feeling there's is based on the wetbulb or dewpoint temp at the surface getting down to freezing as it seem pretty conservative though still better than the wxbell it alwasy snows wth an 850 below zero algorithm. 

Archived