CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2014/15

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice map. But yours lacks the impressionistic look of Abs Humidity's masterpiece ;)

One thing of note over here in my neck of the woods- your map shows the typical heavier snow area the further one is from the water...basically the combination of being located in the interior and upper shore makes a difference wrt to snow amounts. No elevation influences here. However I am curious, did you lack reports for places in Queen Annes MD and interior Kent county DE? The general contour looks right but a tad "skinnier" in the 20-29" area than I would have thought. Well done.

Good work mappy. How many years of snow maps like this do you have? I know you made one last year.

This would be third, 09/10, 13/14, 14/15

As long as there's snow to be mapped, I'll keep doing it.

Thanks everyone else for the accolades!

Also, CAPE, I'd have to look at the data to know why it looks that way, most likely sparse data. I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know, if you want.

Excellent map per usual. Great map indeed

its a modern art piece

Nice map. But yours lacks the impressionistic look of Abs Humidity's masterpiece ;)

One thing of note over here in my neck of the woods- your map shows the typical heavier snow area the further one is from the water...basically the combination of being located in the interior and upper shore makes a difference wrt to snow amounts. No elevation influences here. However I am curious, did you lack reports for places in Queen Annes MD and interior Kent county DE? The general contour looks right but a tad "skinnier" in the 20-29" area than I would have thought. Well done.

lol and thanks

This would be third, 09/10, 13/14, 14/15

As long as there's snow to be mapped, I'll keep doing it.

Good looking map, Katie.  Thanks for putting in the time.  Have you considered plotting for the three years between 09/10 and 13/14?  A simple data call would get you some decent data since plenty of us keep decent records.  I don't know how heavy the lift is on your part...

Good looking map, Katie.  Thanks for putting in the time.  Have you considered plotting for the three years between 09/10 and 13/14?  A simple data call would get you some decent data since plenty of us keep decent records.  I don't know how heavy the lift is on your part...

Ive thought about it -- mainly to have a full set of the last 5-years. Maybe it would be a good project to work on in the off season, a 5-year average map. Def a lot of data collection though to be done. 

Dang, KAPG Phillips Air Field at 20.1"? It's between me and Warrior Bigfoot at 27-28". And I'm obsessive about not exaggerating!

They don't measure after every event. I could be wrong but I don't think any mets are out there on the weekends.

Overall it's a very unreliable station. Temperature data is sporadic as well.

They don't measure after every event. I could be wrong but I don't think any mets are out there on the weekends.

Overall it's a very unreliable station. Temperature data is sporadic as well.

That's too bad. I agree about temperature data and rarely look at them because of that.

Edit - I was amazed at the consistency of our totals this year. And I see it's not always so - you got 7 more inches last year!

That's too bad. I agree about temperature data and rarely look at them because of that.

Edit - I was amazed at the consistency of our totals this year. And I see it's not always so - you got 7 more inches last year!

Yeah, Dec. of '13 really got me off to a great start. 8.5" here, and only 2-3" at BWI for comparison.

Here's ATC's weather website. It's nice having meteorologists in our backyards lol.

http://www.atc.army.mil/weather/Default.asp

Yeah, Dec. of '13 really got me off to a great start. 8.5" here, and only 2-3" at BWI for comparison.

Here's ATC's weather website. It's nice having meteorologists in our backyards lol.

http://www.atc.army.mil/weather/Default.asp

Completely off-topic, but right out of school I finished runner-up for a civilian position there.  They flew me out for a 2-day interview and everything.  Probably for the best I didn't get that one.

Archived