joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Obs

jburns

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19.8°F CONUS avg temp. 85% area below freezing.

"Coldest November morning since 1976"

It's actually down to 19.4 F right now

attachicon.gifcoldest.jpg

I'm glad you pointed that out because it sure impressed me how much of the country was below freezing this morning..and that being the case this early is pretty crazy.

23 this morning for a low.  I was expecting to hit 40 here today (thanks to the dreaded downslope warming) but Those high clouds  helped hold down the temps. Only 35 going into the 2pm hour. 

Not sure how cold it will be tonight.  One would think teens would easily be the case but  Nam and especially the gfs are stubbornly showing winds staying up a bit most of the night here/north central ga . Would be pretty lame if we didn't make the teens since upper teens are being forecasted by the nws in the panhandle of florida/southern alabama..which is just insane and would mean some real notable records being broken...like " earliest to ever reach X degrees" but they will be dead calm and right under that  high longer. Hopefully they die off quicker than advertised.

I'm glad you pointed that out because it sure impressed me how much of the country was below freezing this morning..and that being the case this early is pretty crazy.

23 this morning for a low.  I was expecting to hit 40 here today (thanks to the dreaded downslope warming) but Those high clouds  helped hold down the temps. Only 35 going into the 2pm hour. 

Not sure how cold it will be tonight.  One would think teens would easily be the case but  Nam and especially the gfs are stubbornly showing winds staying up a bit most of the night here/north central ga . Would be pretty lame if we didn't make the teens since upper teens are being forecasted by the nws in the panhandle of florida/southern alabama..which is just insane and would mean some real notable records being broken...like " earliest to ever reach X degrees" but they will be dead calm and right under that  high longer. Hopefully they die off quicker than advertised.

I cant believe certain people were complaining that this shot was underwhelming last night.

I cant believe certain people were complaining that this shot was underwhelming last night.

Right..... the friggen DP in Greenville in eastern NC is 10 right now...in the middle of friggen November,  thats pretty ridiculous. If it doesnt spike after dark to much we could see mid to upper teens even this far east.

Yeah that's pretty absurd. I wonder if some are forgetting just what average is this time of year. For those, they should keep in mind that average highs right now are in the low to mid 60s with average lows in the low to mid 40s.  So to see highs 25 to even 30 degrees below normal and 20 to 25 degrees below normal for lows  is a pretty big deal and doesn't happen very often.  Never mind the fact that we have often seen temps this time of year getting well into the 70s and even 80s. In the heart of winter, this cold  wouldn't be too big of a deal but this is the middle of november and one has to give credit where credit is due here.

Speaking of rare, check out central florida. The kennedy space center and surrounding areas have had rain with temps in the upper 40s..in the middle of the afternoon!  And on top of that, they've had winds gusting over 20mph.  That's just crazy conditions for middle november in central florida. And equally as incredible they were close to 90 yesterday in a few spots!..an insane 40 degree 24 hour temperature difference. They have to be miserable down there.

Looks like the high will be 37. Yep..just your average middle of november high. :lol:

It looks like 43 is going to be the best we do for a high in central Georgia (at least on my digital thermometer).  A very impressive cold shot for this time of year with some potential record-breaking lows tonight.  We had clouds earlier, but it's now sunny.  If the winds die down and the skies remain clear, we might have a shot at the upper teens.  Regardless, the low tonight should easily reach the low 20's which will be lower than the coldest recorded temperature that some recent winters have seen.  For example, the lowest recorded temperature at the Macon Middle Georgia Regional Airport for 2013 was 26 degrees.  I'm certainly impressed!

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT ATLANTA...

A RECORD MINIMUM HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 37 WAS SET AT ATLANTA TODAY.

THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 37 SET IN 2000.

Today's 37 at KATL tied with 2000 for the 3rd earliest on record of that or colder (records back to 1879)! There was a 35 in 1906 on 11/14 and a 33 in 1940 on 11/15. For Nov. through the 20th, here are the years with a 39 or lower for a high:

1889, 1903, 1906, 1913, 1914, 1916, 1937, 1940, 1968, 1976, 2000, and 2014

So, today's 37 was quite impressive, especially considering the somewhat warmer temp.'s overall these last couple of decades.

CAE  :wub: 

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
530 PM EST TUE NOV 18 2014

...THE RECORD LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN BROKEN TODAY FOR
THE COLUMBIA SC AREA...

CONSIDERABLE CLOUDINESS COUPLED WITH CHILLY CANADIAN AIR HAS KEPT
THE TEMPERATURE FROM RISING ABOVE 42 DEGREES THIS AFTERNOON AT
COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT. THIS BREAKS THE LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE
RECORD FOR NOVEMBER 18TH WHICH IS 45 DEGREES...SET SIX YEARS AGO IN

AUGUSTA REGIONAL BUSH FIELD IN GEORGIA ALSO HAD A HIGH TEMPERATURE
OF 42 DEGREES THIS AFTERNOON...BUT JUST MISSED TYING THE AUGUSTA
AREA LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE RECORD OF 41 DEGREES...SET BACK ON
NOVEMBER 18TH IN 1891.

DAILY TEMPERATURE RECORDS DATE BACK TO 1887 IN THE COLUMBIA AREA...
AND TO 1873 IN THE AUGUSTA AREA.

Archived