CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November Obs

jburns

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left the house an hour back and it was 16.2 degrees. The ground(top layer) is actually frozen. Can't remember the last time I saw that in November.

Ponds are frozen over here which might be the earliest I've ever seen them frozen over. I've never kept too much track of it before but it's probably a good possibility it is the earliest.

Winds did indeed take a while to calm down here..was still having a 8 or 9mph wind as late as 2am. However, the winds did go completely calm by 3 and the temp went from 22 at 2am to an eventual low of 16. A sensor I have in a low spot in the back yard (but not one I count as "official")  reported 13.7. Anyone who says this hasn't been an impressive cold shot is nuts. As noted by gsp this morning, these temps are well below the coldest average temps we have in the winter. To achieve these temps on november 19th is really incredible.

Interesting of note too...parts of the florida panhandle had their coldest temps since at least feb 12th of 2012..per Tallahassee nws,   Think about that..they had colder temps this morning than they had the past two winters..in mid november. Amazing.

Certainly a november to remember for me....as not only did I see the earliest snow I've ever seen on november 1st, but now this ridiculous cold snap. I'm not very big on the idea of early season events translating into winter but I sure hope we can continue this trend into and throughout the winter. The early snow and cold has me dying for a real major winter storm or two....or 10 :whistle:

:wub: 

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
539 PM EST WED NOV 19 2014

...A DAILY RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN SET FOR THE COLUMBIA SC
AREA...

THE TEMPERATURE AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT DROPPED TO 20 DEGREES JUST
AFTER 7 AM THIS MORNING...SURPASSING THE EXISTING LOW TEMPERATURE
RECORD FOR NOVEMBER 19TH WHICH IS 22 DEGREES SET IN 1891 AND 2008.

THE ALL-TIME LOWEST TEMPERATURE IN COLUMBIA FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER
IS 12 DEGREES SET ON NOVEMBER 25TH IN 1970.

DAILY TEMPERATURE RECORDS HAVE BEEN KEPT IN COLUMBIA SINCE 1887.

:wub:

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

539 PM EST WED NOV 19 2014

...A DAILY RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN SET FOR THE COLUMBIA SC

AREA...

THE TEMPERATURE AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT DROPPED TO 20 DEGREES JUST

AFTER 7 AM THIS MORNING...SURPASSING THE EXISTING LOW TEMPERATURE

RECORD FOR NOVEMBER 19TH WHICH IS 22 DEGREES SET IN 1891 AND 2008.

THE ALL-TIME LOWEST TEMPERATURE IN COLUMBIA FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER

IS 12 DEGREES SET ON NOVEMBER 25TH IN 1970.

DAILY TEMPERATURE RECORDS HAVE BEEN KEPT IN COLUMBIA SINCE 1887.

Wow. We got down to 14 this morning. Even had some ice on the pond behind the house. Got to 43 today and 38 yesterday for highs.

An hour ago, it was 35 here and 39 in Alma. Now it's 29 in Alma and 34 here. I know where I am heading to when the big snowstorm hits this year for SE GA. It's going to be 33 and rain here the whole time.

I see some mid 20s in your area this early, pretty amazing. The gators are hunkering down low tonight.

http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-bin/AEMN.pl?site=AAAA&report=XT

Archived