joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting dynamics at play --- rain moving in from the WSW, and I can see 2 layers of clouds... very thin broken layer quickly moving from the NE, while the heavier deck above that is moving in from the SE, and vis. Sat. image shows the top deck moving from the WNW.

Interesting dynamics at play --- rain moving in from the WSW, and I can see 2 layers of clouds... very thin broken layer quickly moving from the NE, while the heavier deck above that is moving in from the SE, and vis. Sat. image shows the top deck moving from the WNW.

You should be getting some decent rains now.

Light sprinkles here with a temp of 68 on august 9th.......thats not too bad in my books. working in a warehouse with no air conditioning is rough in the summer but so far this year it has been really easy at work. Could not ask for much better temps for August!

They've cut my forecasted precip totals in half.  

I will say, I am getting some brief, quite heavy downpours, from some very meager radar returns. The atmosphere is very "juicy", so the potential for heavy rain is real. Things just have to line up correctly.

We are being affected by a "precursor soaking"!!! :flood:

WILL BE ISSUING A FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR THE SOUTHERN TIER...UPTO WAKE COUNTY DUE TO THIS PRECURSOR SOAKING AND THE LIKELIHOOD OF PERIODSOF HEAVIER RAIN THROUGH TOMORROW. THE WATCH WILL RUN THROUGH 00Z...8 PM...TOMORROW NIGHT. 
Just hit 1" in the rain gauge.

KaBLAM we got socked with a strong thunderstorm.

It's eased up a bit now, but the rainfall is still so heavy it's nearly obscured the treeline 40' away.

We're getting plenty of CG strikes here.  I'll go out afterwards and see what kind of damage they may have given us.  One strike very close to the house produced that classic "tree is exploding" sound, so it should be easy to see.

The higher winds haven't really hit.  It's chaotic-winds out there, close but not SVR levels.  This is a cell that started to form out ahead of a SVR approaching from Carroll County to the west, then went wild when the Carroll cell (no longer SVR) crossed the county line and started to merge.

edit:  .... aaaaand we got a SVR on the combined cell now, while I was typing the above

edit #2:  Still going strong, 20+ minutes after it started.  Heavy rain, although not as heavy as before. The winds just did a complete reversal of direction for about a minute - nothing strong, just odd to experience.

Archived