joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2014 Obs and Disco

wxmeddler

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to rag on Tenman here. He's not wrong on the RH thing, I've seen it too. So, he has spotted interesting data and come up with a hypothesis - the DCA temp or DP sensor is faulty. The immediate problem with this is that the hypothesis is not immediately testable, at least not by any of us. So, one method would be to rule out other competing hypotheses. So, what could be alternative factors. If we presume that the DP is fine, that means the temp is high. So, UHI or other geographic factors come in (river). Maybe this makes sense, Quantico is reading low also. If the temp is ok, what about the DP. Artificial drying from the local built environment? Plenty to chew on, but he needs way more data to come up with something solid.

If this area gets another dumping today it's gonna be ugly in spots. Goose creek is busting...traffic was silly yesterday. This is the wettest into June I can remember. I'm usually in full it's dry and drought talk by now. Hope it means something good for winter ;)

MN made good comments and you can throw the "body of water" part of it out because Annapolis is on bigger water and does not have the same issue.

Need more data points. I looked this morning and while all of the stations were 94-100%, DCA, Quantico and Annapolis were all 90% or below. Quantico was the lowest.

The images of the flash flooding coming out of the Cumberland area this evening are unlike anything I saw growing up there. Even Agnes in 1972 didn't have water in places I am seeing it tonight. This is the street my mom lives on:

That is absolutely amazing.  Where's Wes at this stuff is right up his alley.

The images of the flash flooding coming out of the Cumberland area this evening are unlike anything I saw growing up there. Even Agnes in 1972 didn't have water in places I am seeing it tonight. This is the street my mom lives on:

image.jpg

Hopefully those were parked cars that got swallowed by the flood waters. If they are in there bc people thought they could drive through, then that's awful.

image.jpg

Hard to predict but we might be setting up for a big area wide flood event at this rate. If we get some tropical stuff in here and it stays wet beforehand could be messy.

Hard to predict but we might be setting up for a big area wide flood event at this rate. If we get some tropical stuff in here and it stays wet beforehand could be messy.

could be.  If the tropics cooperate we might not see much of a dry spell this summer

We are certainly primed at the very least. A 2 day remnant event would cause serious problems. I'm getting a little water coming into my foundation for the first time in my house. I've been here 12 years. Luckily it's in an unfinished part of my basement and localized to a very small area. Still makes me uncomfortable though and I'm sick of rain. My pepper plants are going to have a crappy harvest if this keeps up too.

We are certainly primed at the very least. A 2 day remnant event would cause serious problems. I'm getting a little water coming into my foundation for the first time in my house. I've been here 12 years. Luckily it's in an unfinished part of my basement and localized to a very small area. Still makes me uncomfortable though and I'm sick of rain. My pepper plants are going to have a crappy harvest if this keeps up too.

Good news is it shouldn't be a huge tropical year though I'd bet even in El Nino years we get some remnants pretty often. We're in a good spot for that overall.  Of course at this rate we don't need much help. Weird to go into this time of year with such a surplus. Usually we're starting to Leesburg drought around now. 

Archived