CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 28-30th Severe Threat and Flood event potential

mackerel_sky

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More hail and dark skies in west Fayetteville. LOTS of very loud thunder and lightning. Hail is pea sized right now. No wind to speak of from either system that has passed trhough. Super heavy rain though. My yard is a swamp. My car might get stuck trying to back out again.

North Carolina has a tor con of 6 for wednesday, looks like things could get pretty serious.

RAH spells it out pretty clearly in their afternoon AFD the setup is pretty darn good for tornados even strong ones so if we get the sun to fire up the storms there will most likely be tornados and maybe even quite a few. The question is will debris clouds etc cut down on the sun, if we get sun by lunchtime Wed over central and eastern NC its game on.

Yeah MariettaWx, I don't know where in Mayretta you are, but I'm nervous up here in NE Cherokee.  We had to replace our roof after a storm a few years ago peeled the shingles.  When storms like this run through we seem to take a lot of linear wind damage up here, down towards south Cherokee County and southeast over to Birmingham, Crabapple and Milton in general.  I am hoping we dodge any wind damage this time.

I made sure the emergency notifications were turned on for my phone today.  I think I'll get out weather radio set up before going to bed tonight, since this is gonna arrive before dawn.  Going outside after dinner to take down the patio umbrella and move all the smaller things into the garage.  My yard's going to turn into a lake if we get the 5" they predict, but thankfully we're sloped correctly.

And in the thank heaven for small things category, there are no trees nearby tall enough to fall on my house.

Local Met backing off potential here. 2-day rainfall totals edged significantly downward from this morn from GSP.

<Might be outta the zone this spring.  DRY here.  Too early to do a weenie bust thread, I know.

I just want some rain.  <Not forgetting that somebody here is gonna get some nasty stuff.

Those two cells in Troup, Heard and Coweta counties may be worth monitoring...These storms already have Severe Thunderstorm Warnings out on them.

TOR Warning out now...Tornado Watch looks to be coming out for N. GA soon as well.

TORNADO WARNING

GAC077-149-199-285-282345-

/O.NEW.KFFC.TO.W.0007.140428T2303Z-140428T2345Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

703 PM EDT MON APR 28 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHWESTERN COWETA COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA

SOUTHEASTERN HEARD COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA

EXTREME NORTHWESTERN MERIWETHER COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA

NORTHEASTERN TROUP COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA

* UNTIL 745 PM EDT

* AT 658 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WEST OF

HOGANSVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

CORINTH...GRANTVILLE...MORELAND AND NEWNAN

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON DOPPLER RADAR...IT MEANS

THAT STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAY

ALREADY BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY. IF YOU

ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS STORM...MOVE INDOORS AND TO A

BASEMENT OR INTERIOR ROOM ON THE GROUND FLOOR. STAY AWAY FROM

WINDOWS. IF DRIVING...DO NOT SEEK SHELTER UNDER A HIGHWAY OVERPASS.

DO NOT USE YOUR CAR TO TRY TO OUTRUN A TORNADO. CARS ARE EASILY

TOSSED AROUND BY TORNADO WINDS. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT IN THE PATH OF A

TORNADO...LEAVE THE CAR AND GO TO A STRONG BUILDING. IF NO SAFE

STRUCTURE IS NEARBY...SEEK SHELTER IN A DITCH OR LOW SPOT AND COVER

YOUR HEAD.

IF YOU SEE WIND DAMAGE...HAIL OR FLOODING...WAIT UNTIL THE STORM HAS

PASSED...AND THEN CALL THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOLL FREE AT 1 8

6 6 7 6 3 4 4 6 6. YOU CAN ALSO TWEET YOUR REPORT USING HASHTAG GAWX.

&&

LAT...LON 3343 8489 3329 8466 3309 8504 3314 8510

TIME...MOT...LOC 2303Z 226DEG 25KT 3316 8503

$

phil882, on 28 Apr 2014 - 7:22 PM, said:phil882, on 28 Apr 2014 - 7:22 PM, said:

Looks like there was significant backing of the flow upstream which was unexpected (note the more easterly component of the wind barbs in GA). Certainly not a good sign as the LLJ ramps up tonight.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-04-28 at 7.21.06 PM.png

From the main thread.

Tornado warning for Bladen Co. NC watch out Elizabethtown!

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON NC

753 PM EDT MON APR 28 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON NC HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN BLADEN COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 845 PM EDT

* AT 750 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR RUSKIN...OR

NEAR ELIZABETHTOWN...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

* SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...

AMMON...

LAGOON...

IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL

AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

GET UNDER A TABLE OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. SEEK SHELTER ON

THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH

AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS

STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE A

SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THE

NEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.

fkmnes.jpg

30m7gv4.jpg

Yeah - been watching the "pop ups"... making me nervous.  Got used to this in FL (as used to it as one can get)... basement all set - flashlights, radios, iPads, etc... really worried the bad stuff will come at 12:00 or 1:00 (been up since 3:30 this morning)... that will be fun... severe weather and exhaustion.  :axe:

You all stay safe!

Hammer

It appears West Georgia will be under the gun tonight and tomorrow.  The situation looks pretty dire.  How concerned should I be at this point living in the west metro of Atlanta?

tornado watches already up for about western half of ga, looks like a lot of rain on the way as well.  forecasts seems to be a prolonged severe wx threat for most of the se

West GA warned cell has a TDS.

looks like i am a little too late paying attention. if the storms out west migrate into this area some wicked weather may be in the offing.  a lot sound like they havent had a lot of rain lately, but here we have had buckets over the last couple of weeks.

I'm beginning to think that much of NC and maybe much of nw SC misses out on severe weather tomorrow due to CAD. That front is slowly coming south again and I think it can possibly go all the way to the Savannah river before it stalls for good. It should be to our North by Wednesday though so that could be a rough day.

Whats going on with that cell is a good foreshadowing of what the warm sector will look like especially Wed, unfortunately it will be most of central and eastern NC by then....if the models show any kind of clearing or period of sun I could see a upgrade to Mod risk here for Wed.

I agree. Either tomorrow or Wednesday, I bet we'll see a mod risk for the area.

Local Met backing off potential here. 2-day rainfall totals edged significantly downward from this morn from GSP.

<Might be outta the zone this spring. DRY here. Too early to do a weenie bust thread, I know.

I just want some rain. <Not forgetting that somebody here is gonna get some nasty stuff.

Crapper, back away from the tofu man! We are under a flood watch and they are still calling for 3-5 total . Relax, get you a few fried flounder fillets, sit back and enjoy the storms and rain, it's coming! That squall line heading this way through AL/GA looks monstrous !!

Hey SE peeps, GA, AL & TN are getting pounded tonight.  Are we going to bring the convo back here or keep tracking in the main thread?  We need to be on this for a while tonight.

Not really sure but we need to really keep an eye out tonight in both threads. These storms are not dying out and I suspect the mountains are going to be in for it tonight.

Archived