joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter Thread

nj2va

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian - from what you saw this morning, should the next two morning's big good or are the blossoms starting to wilt and fall?

Some blossom showers today in breezes. They should be fine through tomorrow morning at least.. winds tomorrow afternoon might be kinda strong for a bit. I doubt enough to ruin it but probably moving out of peak. Leaf out should also come pretty quick with the warm weather today-Monday. Tuesday morning might be a good one though -- I want to go there right after or during a rain that brings down the blossoms painting everything pink. 

Mar 17 and today:

post-1615-0-41239500-1397314054_thumb.jp

Tired of nice warm weather already. Too much effin work. Its great having a long and persistently cold winter. Plants are dormant and its too cold to do any outside work or even notice what needs done. Now I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes I wish I lived in the city in a condo or loft.

I know it sounds crazy ;) But look at this way:

Since March 1st the Pacers are 10-12. In that span, they've lost to Cleveland by 14, the Bobcats by 22, the Knicks, the Hawks by 19, even the Wizards by 13. They aren't just merely losing, they are getting crushed by some awful teams. They only managed to put up 23 points in the first half against Atlanta. They are in complete freefall mode.

In that same time Toronto is 14-6 with wins over Golden State, Houston, Indiana, and Memphis, and they only lost to OKC by 1. 

I guess Indiana could always revert back to their form from last season/beginning of this year, but for now, I'd rather play them. I'm a complete homer haha :) but I think we'd beat the Pacers in a best of 7 IF the Pacers play the way they have been playing over the past month and a half. ;)

Lol, lay off the crack pipe. There is no way in hell we can beat the Pacers in a 7 game series. We are the 6 seed now after last night's games but at least we more than likely will not play the Heat even if we end up as the 7 seed.

A pair of Barred Owls have taken residence somewhere in the woods behind my house or neighbors house. One was on a lower branch of a tulip poplar in my yard yesterday evening. Only 75' away from my patio and had no fear that I was sitting out there. I watched it go to a neighbor's tree and then to a roof point on a house 2 doors down. It was dusk so pics were impossible. The pair woke me up 2 nights ago making a ruckus in the trees. Super cool. I hope they stay all summer.

Ipad or Kindle Fire?  I'm having a hard time deciding.  This will be a present for my wife.  I have a Mac laptop, so I kind of want the Ipad to have Facetime plus the better ap selection.  But we're also Prime members, so getting a Fire kind of makes sense.  

Ipad or Kindle Fire? I'm having a hard time deciding. This will be a present for my wife. I have a Mac laptop, so I kind of want the Ipad to have Facetime plus the better ap selection. But we're also Prime members, so getting a Fire kind of makes sense.

You can't really go wrong with either. If price point is a concern with apps and hardware then the decision is easy. Otherwise the are both great devices.

Ipad or Kindle Fire?  I'm having a hard time deciding.  This will be a present for my wife.  I have a Mac laptop, so I kind of want the Ipad to have Facetime plus the better ap selection.  But we're also Prime members, so getting a Fire kind of makes sense.  

I have an ipad. If you just want something for internet use, watching movies, using apps, etc. its great. There are better options if you need it for more serious work.

Wife has an Ipad.  I have a kindle fire.  I like the screen layout and some of the features of the Ipad better, but truthfully, I have a Kobo that I read all my books on since I can see the screen in the sunlight, and everything else I do on my phone.  Don't use the kindle all that much.

I have an ipad. If you just want something for internet use, watching movies, using apps, etc. its great. There are better options if you need it for more serious work.

Yeah, she'll mostly use it for webbrowsing and to entertain the kids with video, etc...  We have another laptop for word processing, etc...  

Wife has an Ipad.  I have a kindle fire.  I like the screen layout and some of the features of the Ipad better, but truthfully, I have a Kobo that I read all my books on since I can see the screen in the sunlight, and everything else I do on my phone.  Don't use the kindle all that much.

I'm leaning pretty hard toward Ipad, especially since Staples has a Ipad mini for $249 deal right now.  

A pair of Barred Owls have taken residence somewhere in the woods behind my house or neighbors house. One was on a lower branch of a tulip poplar in my yard yesterday evening. Only 75' away from my patio and had no fear that I was sitting out there. I watched it go to a neighbor's tree and then to a roof point on a house 2 doors down. It was dusk so pics were impossible. The pair woke me up 2 nights ago making a ruckus in the trees. Super cool. I hope they stay all summer.

A nesting pair of red-shouldered hawks is back in the canopy of trees in my back yard for the 4th year in a row.  This time, they built their nest in the "V" of two huge sycamore branches that are around 40' away outside of my bedroom window.  Mom has been tucked away for a couple of weeks now with dad bringing all sorts of food each day.  The squirrel, snake, bunny and frog population has decreased significantly in my yard the last few years, for sure.  They are very effective hunters.  They are noisy, during the spring, just like your owls but quiet down once they've scared away any other hawks and hooked up with each other to make more hawks...

There's a Barred Owl in the woods near my house that we hear periodically.  He/she was quite noisy this morning around 6am.  We've seen it a few times over the years.  

A nesting pair of red-shouldered hawks is back in the canopy of trees in my back yard for the 4th year in a row. This time, they built their nest in the "V" of two huge sycamore branches that are around 40' away outside of my bedroom window. Mom has been tucked away for a couple of weeks now with dad bringing all sorts of food each day. The squirrel, snake, bunny and frog population has decreased significantly in my yard the last few years, for sure. They are very effective hunters. They are noisy, during the spring, just like your owls but quiet down once they've scared away any other hawks and hooked up with each other to make more hawks...

I have a video from 2006 of a red tailed hawk pulling the entrails out of a small rat on the terrace in my back yard. The county did flood control rip rap on the creek across the street and it drove all the rats into the neighborhood. I had them living under my garage slab and pissing me off. They came through the floor drain in the garage and got into the bird feed. I poisoned that family but the hawks and foxes took care of the rest around the woods.

It's pretty cool living so close to the edge of major development but having so many wild visitors. The creek on my street feeds into Rock Creek and the park so all kinds of animals use it as a highway and show up through the year in the hood. I had multiple 8 point bucks sleeping in my yard last winter. I love seeing the grey and red foxes prowling around.

Up in your neck is even more like wild kingdom. You've likely had coyotes run through your yard even if you haven't seen one

There's a Barred Owl in the woods near my house that we hear periodically. He/she was quite noisy this morning around 6am. We've seen it a few times over the years.

They can be down right scary with the windows open in the middle of the night when they're close.

One night we had what we think was a fox take out some baby raccoons in the back yard. Wife thought it was horrifying. I found it entertaining. I did't find any carcasses but I did find torn up fur.

We have 2 (pair) barred owls in the woods behind my parents house. Last summer I was on the back deck watching a squirrel on a precarious branch when one of them swooped down and took off with it. They're main call sounds like "Who-Who-WhoCooksForYooou" in a very throaty grunge.

We have 2 (pair) barred owls in the woods behind my parents house. Last summer I was on the back deck watching a squirrel on a precarious branch when one of them swooped down and took off with it. They're main call sounds like "Who-Who-WhoCooksForYooou" in a very throaty grunge.

I've heard that call before.

Great horned owls scare me. I went to a owl "party" at a park in Gibson Island one night and the ranger was playing owl calls. One was the Great Horned Owl. Sure enough one made an appearance and attacked us. Sorta, was just angry I guess and swooped down on the group of us a couple times. I was in middle school and screamed like a pansy. They have scared me since

Great horned owls scare me. I went to a owl "party" at a park in Gibson Island one night and the ranger was playing owl calls. One was the Great Horned Owl. Sure enough one made an appearance and attacked us. Sorta, was just angry I guess and swooped down on the group of us a couple times. I was in middle school and screamed like a pansy. They have scared me since

lolz

lolz

I know! But the 12 year old me was so scared! Seriously. I'm scarred for life because of it. The ranger had told us all about their long sharp deadly claws and then was like "let's see if we can find any!" Crazy b**ch.

I know! But the 12 year old me was so scared! Seriously. I'm scarred for life because of it. The ranger had told us all about their long sharp deadly claws and then was like "let's see if we can find any!" Crazy b**ch.

yeah, they do have sharp claws.  Don't wave a dead rat at them.

I have a video from 2006 of a red tailed hawk pulling the entrails out of a small rat on the terrace in my back yard. The county did flood control rip rap on the creek across the street and it drove all the rats into the neighborhood. I had them living under my garage slab and pissing me off. They came through the floor drain in the garage and got into the bird feed. I poisoned that family but the hawks and foxes took care of the rest around the woods.

It's pretty cool living so close to the edge of major development but having so many wild visitors. The creek on my street feeds into Rock Creek and the park so all kinds of animals use it as a highway and show up through the year in the hood. I had multiple 8 point bucks sleeping in my yard last winter. I love seeing the grey and red foxes prowling around.

Up in your neck is even more like wild kingdom. You've likely had coyotes run through your yard even if you haven't seen one

Even where I am, I saw a coyote on my front lawn one night a couple years ago. My dog went absolutely batsh*t crazy when he saw/smelled it. The thing hightailed it out as soon as he heard my dog, but I got a good look and there was no doubt at all it was a coyote.

We live about 150 yards from a small creek that feeds into Pohick Creek, so we also see a lot of wildlife that uses the creeks through the woodsy areas around here as highways. Interestingly, we don't see many rabbits around here. I may have seen one or two in the five years we've been here. I don't know if they just don't bother coming into the neighborhood (which would be odd) or if the foxes and coyotes keep their number well in check. No complaints though - they'll ruin a nice garden in no time.

Archived