Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April Banter Thread

nj2va

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's initial shock when the baby first comes home, but if you can deal with being tired the first 6 months or so are not that bad. They sleep a lot, so duties consist of changing them and feeding them. A bit more to worry about when they start crawling/walking. It's when they are closing in on 2 and are talking more, talking back to you, etc. that it becomes harder. That's just my opinion.

More fun to read about the baby showers than the perpetual illnesses. I'll be joining the ranks in late August, so I'll either be posting a lot less, or at strange hours in the middle of the night.

Congrats!  You'll be our go-to middle of the night snow obs person during the epic winter of 14-15. 

I think there's initial shock when the baby first comes home, but if you can deal with being tired the first 6 months or so are not that bad. They sleep a lot, so duties consist of changing them and feeding them. A bit more to worry about when they start crawling/walking. It's when they are closing in on 2 and are talking more, talking back to you, etc. that it becomes harder. That's just my opinion.

For the most part that is true. Our first was a preemie and had a 9 day hospital stay. Looking back it gave us time to get ourselves in gear, although wanted her home. When she did come home she was on the NICU schedule so we kept it and the first year was great. Now with the second she was early also but came home with no hospital stay. Thought we knew what we were doing until she developed colic. That was the roughest 8 mos. we have ever been through. Not until we found out about a sleep-sack did we finally get her on a regular sleeping schedule. 

I ended up giving a bunch of baby toys to a coworker whose kid is 6 months younger than mine. We exchange clothes all the time now, works out great. But yeah, B, there will be stuff you won't ever use. Return it, or hold on to it for friends.

K scored big at Easter, lots of clothes, which is great, saves me from having to spend the $$$

More fun to read about the baby showers than the perpetual illnesses. I'll be joining the ranks in late August, so I'll either be posting a lot less, or at strange hours in the middle of the night.

Congrats! I'll expect Euro updates this fall, at 3am ;)

My wife has fallen in love with one of the baby books that says to put the kid on a schedule immediately and follow it religiously. I'm thinking that the chances of that working are hovering right around the chances that it isn't hot and humid this summer.

Having read ALL the baby books, here's my best advice:

Pile them up, pour gasoline on them, light a match, throw the match on the pile of books.  

My wife has fallen in love with one of the baby books that says to put the kid on a schedule immediately and follow it religiously. I'm thinking that the chances of that working are hovering right around the chances that it isn't hot and humid this summer.

Our first daughter was born two weeks ago and "schedules" are a bit of a fallacy -- some days they work and others they don't -- if they make you feel better it's probably helpful but if I've learned anything over the last two weeks is that babies don't adhere to rigid schedules, they feed when they want, they sleep when they want....

Each kid is different, but mine is a sucker for routine. Has its pros and cons but for some kids a routine, set sleep times, eating, naps, etc are really helpful

Haven't posted much on here in the past few weeks as I've been wrapping up my last semester of undergraduate. However, It looks like I'll be going on to graduate school since I applied for two and got accepted to two. Not only that, but one offered me a full ride graduate assistantship plus ~half of living expenses. That said, I'll be flying out to Fargo, North Dakota tomorrow to visit North Dakota State University. 600a Flight out of BWI arriving in Fargo at 1130a with a stop over in Chicago. Weather in Fargo tomorrow is a few light rain showers and 40's with winds at 30 gusting to 45 mph. Be back on Friday night.

Haven't posted much on here in the past few weeks as I've been wrapping up my last semester of undergraduate. However, It looks like I'll be going on to graduate school since I applied for two and got accepted to two. Not only that, but one offered me a full ride graduate assistantship plus ~half of living expenses. That said, I'll be flying out to Fargo, North Dakota tomorrow to visit North Dakota State University. 600a Flight out of BWI arriving in Fargo at 1130a with a stop over in Chicago. Weather in Fargo tomorrow is a few light rain showers and 40's with winds at 30 gusting to 45 mph. Be back on Friday night.

Booo. NDSU sucks. (obligated to, UND alum)

Congrats. Fargo is ok. Acts like a bigger city than it is because it is the only game around between Winnipeg and Minneapolis. You can get used to the cold, but the transition from one of the least windy to one of the most windy places in the country will be shocking. As is the flatness. Everyone jokes about KS or NE, but until you are in the middle of glacial lake Agassiz, you have not experienced flat terrain. Chasing is perfection though, gridded roads and little terrain or trees. You will also become very comfortable with the terms "ground blizzard", "engine block heater", and "flood plain".

Congrats and best of luck wherever you choose to go

So many ****ing dumb tweets about this weekend. I have to say it here because I know Ian et al has seen these.

Too much weather news these days. The pros have taken on the tweeting habits of the chasers.

Archived