March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-GREENE-MADISON-
CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ANNAPOLIS...CULPEPER...
MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH
1119 AM EST MON MAR 3 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS
EVENING...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION.

Hasn't stopped snowing in #NavyYard... very good rates since 7am.

The snow now is fluffier than earlier... will go out and do a final measurement once it stopped. Had around 3 inches as of 9am but it is also hard to measure due to the high winds and blowing snow.

Hoping we can get another hour or two out of the storm... may be able to get to 5 inches if rates are good enough.

Hey I heard you are in the Navy Yard area....can you confirm?

Agree. I think I will make 6" We seem to be in one of the sweet spots. I just measured 5.5" and still SN

About 5".  The snow stopped earlier, but started again and is really coming down.

Dulles definitely jack potting from this storm, ratios must be great now, 16 degrees.

16° here also.  Very fine snow coming down a good pace.  

Last hurrah is pretty nice. Fluffy dendrites and mod rates. Will end up being a totals ladder.

I was pretty confidence with mby forecast of 6-8". If it wasn't for the dry air lull I would have easily hit the bottom end. Still could but it will be tricky.

Very nice event

For you, I'm sort of in the hole between the good band way to may south and the one over you.  I suspect your's will press southward but it doesn't always do that uniformly. 

Been under greens for a while but hasn't snowed in hours. Sort of weird.

snowing here decently

if you check out the traffic cams it is only snowing on the south side of Baltimore

http://www.chart.state.md.us/MapNet/MapDOTNET.aspx?Browser=IE7&ViewName=Select&Cmd=switchtheme&tab=VideoAndCamera&DoPanTo=False&Direction=&PanFactor=&DoZoomScaleFactor=&x=&y=&Encoder=&timestamp=47921&x1=0&x2=0&y2=0&y1=0&gCenterLat=null&gCenterLon=null&gZoomLvl=null

I guess it has been  mentioned that DC has only hit single digits in March twice on record...in 1872 and 1873.....11 degrees would tie for 6th....

cold thread  material :P

Apparently you are not reading my posts...if any place stopped snowing, its going to be tough to get it back. Even with radar returns...the dry air is too much, most of its not reaching the ground

Dont let post like this concern you guys to the east. My snow stopped for almost an hour And I am getting my heaviest snow of the day right now. If you get under the good returns you will get dumped on.

Archived